Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Yes but Denver is in cap trouble. As much as they'd love to, and should, have a veteran QB alongside Brock, they won't be able to afford Fitz. Not after the season he put together, as well as the deals Bradford and Cousins just signed ($18-$20/per year).

Fitz's best chance to win a ring is with the Jets right now. He looks good with Marshall and Decker, can pad his stats, is liked by the fans, and won't have to uproot his family (5 kids). He'll hit the open market and realize no one will pay him a lot/what he's looking for. It's his last pay day, so I respect him for trying, but he'll come back and sign with the Jets. Front load the contract, 2-3 years max, around $8 million/year.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, this is it. The Broncos can either sign Fitzpatrick or re-sign Osweiler. They can't do both. Nobody budgets $30M against the cap for their QB's in a year.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

While this news is concerning, I am not going to get too upset, least not yet. It might be good thing if Fitzpatrick tests the market. I do think the Jets are a better fit for him, so there's that that he will probably consider.

Having said that maybe Fitz is not sure the Jets are his best fit in at least one way - this whole idea he's only worth getting for one more year. If you were him, having the kind of year he had in 15, why would you say to yourself you're only going to get one more year?

If the Jets are not willing to offer him any guaranteed money for 17, he very well might get that from some other team, in which case he would be gone.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

100% agreed. I think it is clear Fitzpatrick wants to be a Jet. However, money talks. He has 5 kids. The market has set up nicely for him after a 2015 season where he led the Jets to 10 wins and broke their QB TD record with 31. If the Jets are offering him something far less significant than another team on the market, he has to go to that team. I would be disappointed, but completely understand. I am mostly upset the Jets couldn't lock something up before this.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think Mac is sweating this 1 bit. Mac will stand with his FAIR offer in terms of compensation and situation. If not, he will move on with Geno or Petty along with a drafted rookie or FA. Fitz was a great value @ 3.25m. He's awful value at more than 10M.

PulseJet likes this.
  6. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I like Fitz, but if it's a choice, I'd rather have RG3 or Kaepernick and 10 million dollars in extra cap space.

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

No it'll be great. Get the number 1 pick and get a QB.

You see, I'm a Jet fan, not a fan of any specific player like the Genobots.

And I'd like to win, not watch the utter trash Geno gave us.

You likely have a closet full of dunce caps and Geno shirts and Geno pajamas. You keep them.

_

greenbeanz and Will-I-Am-Not like this.
  8. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

I think they're betting he will accept whatever they're offering, or no one will want him and they'll get him cheaper. The problem is I think if they go that route he's going to end up in Cleveland.

Browns need a total overhaul of the QB dept. they have plenty of cap space. You sign Fitz for 2 or 3 years and draft someone to develop behind him. He plays tough, teammates like him, he works with the younger QBs. While I think he's only average overall, he is a serviceable veteran which is why he keeps getting picked up by someone year after year.

If the Jets are thinking like I mention above, they're naive if they think someone won't offer him money.

9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

This is his chance to cash in after a good year, I don't blame him for wanting to get paid market value. If he isn't locked up they should sign Flynn who has familiarity with the offense and have a 3 way competition for the job.

10. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I'm worried the Sam Bradford deal is going to make it harder to sign Fitz, Osweiler, or any other QB...... The Eagles screwed up the market unfortunately.....

11. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The Eagles and Redskins changed the game for both Mac and Fitz. Pre those ridiculous deals I think the outline of a workable salary scale was more or less agreed to by both sides. Post those deals Fitz has options for more $$ and years and Mac knows he's not worth anywhere near Cousins / Bradford $$. Mac will take the best fit for the money whether it be Fitz, RGIII, Kap, Chase Daniel or someone else.

Walter Football mock has the Jets taking Dak Prescott in round 2 suggesting the team doesn't see Petty anything more than a career back-up. If that's their real assessment of Petty and knowing Fitz isn't long term I can absolutely see them not chasing Fitz up the salary scale and looking at an RGIII type to compete with Geno while drafting a QB that could hit. There are too many options to say which way Mac will go but I think the surest option is that he will hold firm on what they are willing to pay Fitz and they already have plans b,c,d and e planned out should Fitz sign elsewhere.

12. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Going to Cleveland would be a horrible career move for him. Fitz has a shot to be our starter for the next 2-4 years if he wants to be.

To go to the Browns where there is no Marshall , no Decker , different system etc etc. Its career suicide. Look at Josh McCown. Great in his time with decent weapons in Chicago and then nothing.

As good as Fitz was last year , most of it had to do with his weapons. And in a league like the NFL where nothing is guaranteed , the player should pick the team that gives him the best chance to succeed.

If he bolts for Denver because he would be cheaper than Osweiler than I wouldn't be surprised. But to leave for Cleveland would make me really wonder about that Harvard education.

13. Big Blocker

Especially if some other team offers him guaranteed money for 17 - can the Jets match something like that? The flip side of what I said earlier is that while most here do not want to go beyond a commitment to play Fitz this year, that could be a huge stumbling block in reaching a deal here.

14. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Browns are paying McCown $5 mill next year. Why would they sign Fitz and then draft a rookie #2 overall? McCown when healthy is equal to Fitz

15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Except their journeyman QB McCown had a better statistical year than Fitzpatrick did. So why downgrade? Unless you were just throwing the Browns name out there as in "any crap team"

16. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Fitz is going yo test the market realize no1 wants his bum ass and come back to the jets

angryjetsfan likes this.
  17. Big Blocker

Another thing is if the Jets think they cannot sign Fitzpatrick to a reasonable number, maybe they need to look at trading up in the draft and getting a Qb.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Trader Mike isn't the GM anymore.

19. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Not the year to do that...... All the QB's have serious legit questions..... And the price would be way too high

20. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Screw this!! Trade Mo for Drew Brees, make us contenders.