Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mm hopefully U know who Todd Bowles is & lo & behold here his recent quote

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 1h1 hour ago
    Todd Bowles on Jets' 10-win season: “It’s not a success because you didn’t win a Super Bowl" http://nydn.us/1lQXKKa

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I've been here a while, why do you even bother?

3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Osweiller has done little to almost nothing to show he's worth starting QB money long term. He had a barely average joe performance in his little 5 game stretch, games in which he was figured out and shut down by half time. I only know because we needed Denver to win/lose a few games for us during the playoff push so i watched them. That Patriots game is where i'm assuming all the hype came from.. where Denver's defense did most of the dirty work vs Brady (without any weapons including gronk) and i don't see why people letting NE's defense determine if some one is good or not because they aint all that. We shouldn't be signing an outside guy to be our franchise QB based off of ceiling and potential we already have 2 guys on our bench with that.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I believe in the possibility of redemption.

However close to nil that chance is.

5. championjets69

Have you not heard the credo in sports winning is ever thing

Ever hear of Todd Bowles? Well this is what he had to say about winning championships

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 1h1 hour ago
    Todd Bowles on Jets' 10-win season: “It’s not a success because you didn’t win a Super Bowl" http://nydn.us/1lQXKKa

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

longest tenured troll on this forum

7. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Can you ask the guy upstairs what's weather gonna be over next weekend, specifically on Monday, 24th? In central jersey?
    I really gotta know for sure and it's a FACT that you're closer to the man upstairs than anyone else here.

8. championjets69

Do not bet on your post as it more then possible that some kind of disease or some other ailment may struck you down. I lost my 2 best friends at a early age both in the 40s 1 from cancer & the other from a heart attack. I am certainly hopeful that U get struck down B4 me for sure

9. championjets69

Nah U got me beat by a long, long shot

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You can hope all you want, but the FACT is you're closer, so .... weather on 24th?

11. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

If fitz and osweiler not signed by March 9th they will both be FA and I think the two best qb left. Peyton will be FA also. One of those three or geno smith will likely be our qb.

12. championjets69

I was not hoping I was just stating facts that is all. Personally I do not know U & probably live many miles from U so it really does not matter & again the FACT is if U do not win the SB as Todd said U R A FAILURE which Woody has been now for 16 years & most likely when season is in the books he will go up to 17 years as a flop

13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Broncos offered Brock 3 years and over $45 mil so there goes my plan. Why the hell are they offering him that after 7 games? They're gonna wind up losing top defensive players that won them a Super Bowl in exchange for the backup QB. Dumb.

14. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Well-Known Member

It's a quarterback's league. As absurd as it seems, any quarterback worth a quarter of a damn gets paid $15M bare minimum per season. Hence Osweiler and Bradford getting these offers. We would be beyond lucky to get Fitz at $12M per season, as nuts as that sounds. The market has been set.

15. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

It's insane, but it's true. Even trading for Kaepernick would put the Jets in a bad situation with his cap. The only way the Jets will have a cheap QB is either Geno, or Petty. Neither of those for 2016 are probably anything attractive.

16. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I just think we've gone way over the top with the whole "it's a quarterback league" thing. Look at some of the top QBs in the league. Drew Brees is an all-time great but the Saints have sucked ass 3 of the last 4 years. Philip Rivers is always in the Top 5 discussion and he ushered the Chargers right into a 'Top 5' pick this year. The Giants are consistently winning 6 games with Eli, the Colts were below .500 while Luck was still healthy, the Lions have been spinning the tires with Matt Stafford at the helm, Matt Ryan has given the Falcons 3 mediocre seasons in a row and I could go on with a couple more. Meanwhile, guys like Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins gave their teams winning seasons because they were propped up by the talent surrounding them. Maybe the Super Bowl winners overcoming horrific QB play is a sign of a trend that's been right in front of our faces; this "QB era" has taken on a life of its own to the point that we're significantly overrating the value of a top end quarterback. Unless you have Brady or Aaron Rodgers (who also took a huge step back without Jordy Nelson) it seems like it's still a better idea to go for an elite roster than it is an elite quarterback. And I think that's why our team was so successful this year; paying the starting QB $5 million allowed them to allocate money to the other 21 positions. If Fitz wants 12 or more I think we would be better served to find a cheap option, whether it be drafting a QB or beginning the Petty area, and giving that player a solid supporting cast to win with.

17. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Fitz is going to cost at least 10million/yr in this market. Maybe make geno starter and use money saved to sign Harrison, rb, and 1 or 2 lb??

18. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I would rather just keep Fitz..

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

20. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Ok sure, but how about you also post highlights of his most recent start vs Miami when he had a perfect passer rating? I'm not a big geno fan but fitz will eat up almost all the rest of our cap space at the going rate for qbs.