Republican Nomination Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Aug 6, 2015.

1. mute

mute Well-Known Member

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Gee, I would have thought a cynical person wouldn't care about any of this stuff.

Oh wait! That's right, you're a faker.

3. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Scott Pelley: Lay off in Syria, let them destroy Assad. And then we go in behind that?

Donald Trump: --that's what I would say. Yes, that's what I would say.

4. Big Blocker

So, supposedly some guy cheating on his wife says something about her more or less to explain or justify why he is cheating, and then that person who is no longer involved with the husband but who may have an agenda about it, says what she claims to be what he said, and you choose to believe it, and oh yeah it helps make a political point that fits with your reactionary agenda that you pretend not to have,

And you have the nerve to say anyone who does not agree with you is naïve.

Faker.

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

So Romney wants a brokered convention. Watching Republicans is more fun than watching a circus.

6. mute

mute Well-Known Member

speech was short and straight to the point. Now Drumpf has to respond..

7. Big Blocker

But Drumpf is proposing more of those same kinds of tax cuts.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I thought we were going to go to a brokered convention rigged in favor of the establishment. I no longer think that's going to happen.

I'm not even sure there'll be a Republican Convention at this point. Trump may just have enough delegates going in and blow the whole thing off. Who is he going to piss off? The establishment? If he's got a majority of delegates and the convention chooses to nominate somebody else because he's not there he'll just go independent and what will the GOP do then?

On second thought, he won't be able to pass up a speech in prime time. That's going to save the GOP the embarrassment of having their nominee not attend the convention.

9. Big Blocker

I can't figure out whether Drumpf would be worse for the country than Cruz (who proposes a VAT tax that would be a disaster), Rubio or any of the others. I get why the GOP establishment sees him as an existential threat. But from my perspective?

Still I don't get how someone who lies all the time and has no real policy details gets credit for so-called telling it like it is. That part is mystifying.

10. Big Blocker

If you define this by when the GOP first started out as opposed to realignments since, whether the Democrats' dalliance with Bryan and his populists, the sorting out as progressive movements in both parties realigned into the Hoover v. FDR camps, the GOP becoming less isolationist, the white southerners abandoning the Dems after the Civil Rights Act and the Reagan Democrats phenomenon, all of which while significant did not really alter the fundamentals of the two party system, you have to back to the 1850's for anything comparable to what might be about to happen.

11. Brook!

I think Stokes is in trouble. You go BB. This is as fun as watching Republicans go at it. :D

12. Br4d

The audience Trump is selling too is used to being lied too and very cynical about politics in general. They're not in the beltway bubble and they're not particularly intellectual in terms of how they approach politics. They're happy right now watching the establishment twist in the wind because at least Trump is telling whoppers and speaking his mind instead of the usual platitudes that wind up screwing them after the fact.

Tax cuts for the GOP is synonymous with tax cuts for the wealthy. That's what the average voter has figured out over the years.

The US treasury sent me a $300 check the day the W tax cuts went into effect. It's what they thought the tax cuts would be worth based on my mid-80's salary the year before. I never cashed it because when you are paying high 30's in combined taxes on a mid 80's salary $300 is chicken feed. I knew where the real cuts were going and who was going to benefit from them. I wasn't going to play along with the charade that the tax cutter had my back, because he didn't.

That same check kept coming back to me with interest every year until about 2012, when they stopped bothering. It was up to $319 or something like that by then.

13. Br4d

Yep. I think the collapse of the Whigs and the formation of the Republicans is a closer parallel than anything since then. I don't think we're quite there yet. There's a lot of money at the top that will try desperately to get things back under control over the next few cycles.

14. Big Blocker

You are free to enjoy it, but I don't need no stinking allies, and I don't need you to tell me Stokes is in trouble. His whole phony cynical posture here has been shown to be total fakery. He has no cred, but he still has his message board allies who have no cred, either.

They deserve each other. Well, maybe they help him make up for his loneliness.

15. Big Blocker

I agree with your general observation. But Trump's tax proposal is just as tilted to the rich as are the rest of those clowns'.

16. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Drumpf rally at 1:30 pm est.

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

_

74 likes this.
  18. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

The way is I see it the best bet for the GOP is to let Trump have the nomination and hope that he will badly lose to Hillary. If that happens, they will say just we told you so and continue with their rinse ans repeat status quo. If he beats her, they are fucked. If they somehow deny him the nomination via a brokered convention or something like that, Trump has a solid 25% or so among the GOP voters who will be so angry that they most likely won't vote for the GOP again in the near future.

19. Big Blocker

But it is arguably the big money that got the GOP in trouble in the first place.

There are other pieces to the GOP alliance, but the basic part is that the rich who fund it and its ancillary institutions, the think tanks, right wing media, the lobbyists etc..., have been allied with their base voters. I do not discount their base voters have real concerns. But what the rich running the party have sold the base is that "We will address your anxieties, your concerns about social change. But we will also improve the economy by giving us (the rich) a lot of money!"

Well, the cuts were about improving their situation, not the country as a whole, not their base voters' condition.

Then on the social anxiety front, the establishment would throw them some bones now and then, but it was never what they were really about. And now while it has taken decades, and the loss of five of the last six elections by voter tally for president, the base has lost faith in that alliance.

But it was the rich and people like the Kochs and Sheldon Adelson who engineered this alliance and the continuation of it.

Hard to see where this goes that the alliance stays in place. The Kochs and Adelsons of this world will not fund the GOP merely to keep it together for some institutional imperative. They are in it for essentially selfish reasons, whatever they tell themselves.

So how does the basic approach of giving everything to the super rich while throwing crumbs to the base continue after this cycle?

20. Brook!

But BB

Opportunities are endless if we combine our forces. We really can erase Stokes and his phony allies from this board. Mine was just a proposal. Why you breaking my heart now. I am sad, so sad. :(