Colin Kaepernick a NYJ?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by championjets69, Jun 17, 2015.

1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

For a lower round draft pick, I would do it

2. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Where have I heard this before? I agree with Marshall's sentiments regarding Kaep, but time will tell if Fitz just "Jumped the Shark"

3. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

4. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

For the first Time sence Pennington we have reason to be optimistic about the offense...... Don't ruin it by bringing in Keapernick right now

5. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

You don't replace the man who orchestrated a nearly franchise high passing attack, and if I'm not wrong, a franchise high offensive attack.

This is the best offense we've had in years. If we can get similar production with another year of chemistry it'd be more than we can hope for.

6. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Kolin is soooooo 2012

Footballgod214 likes this.
  7. max

max Active Member

Dude, I posted that after the season when we went 4-12 . . .

8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

9. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I really have no desire to have him on this team.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't see anything saying the Jets are an interested party.

Quite the opposite.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/02/jets_not_interested_in_colin_kaepernick_according.html

11. westiedog1

Quoting from the article I posted:

"However, it seems Kaepernick is the party that wants out. A report earlier in February said he was interested in joining the New York Jets, and that there was mutual interest, though it was unclear how the two sides would orchestrate a deal."

#251 westiedog1, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Didn't see that part, my bad. Although the article I posted basically debunked that report.

Maybe there's something to it. I can see Kaep's agents having made some calls to gauge interest, and maybe the Jets talked to them for a minute, but then his agents leaked the Jets having some small amount of interest and the Jets leaked to every beat reporter possible that it was bunk, probably because they didn't want to get implicated in tampering.

We'll see.

13. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Well now with Wilk getting tagged.. if Fitz's camp pulls something unexpected and Fitz wants the normal average QB starting salary or around that ball park that we can't afford... maybe Mac was looking ahead thinking if we can't sign Fitz we'd make a deal IF he even ever talked to Kaep's people.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am hoping the story about Jet interest in Kaep was merely floated to get Fitz's agent's attention.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that's probably part of Mac's intention, but I also think he may be doing his due diligence in case they can't come to terms with Fitz' agents.

Since Fitz supposed really wants to stay here, since he is at the end of his career, since he plays at a much higher level with Gailey, since he has moved his family 3 times in 3 years, since he has never played in the playoffs and has a pretty good chance if he stays here and helps the Jets by signing a reasonable contract so they can upgrade a position or two, he has every reason to want to sign a fair contract and not hold out for top dollar. Fitz has never had two good years back-to-back, and has only had 3 good years in his entire career. He has an injury history that at his age is a concern. The Jets have most, if not all, the leverage imo. They could trade for Kaepernick, sign a cheaper FA QB, hand the starting job to Geno (perish the thought), or let Geno and Petty battle for the starting spot. Fitz should be willing to sign a contract with a reasonable base and a good number of reachable incentives if he plays well.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I'm not an NFL cap expert, but in a trade I believe the Jets would only be on the hook for Kaepernick's base salary. If that's $11.9mil, I wouldn't totally dismiss our interest. If Fitz is looking at comparable money or higher, we may be better suited going with the younger, higher upside player in a trade. Granted, Fitz may be the safer bet, but I can't see locking up a short term, stop-gap caliber player for more money than a potential franchise QB.

17. NCJetsfan

I agree with you in general, but do you really think that Kaepernick is a potential franchise QB? I don't think I do. Perhaps Gailey can fix him, but I don't know that Kaepernick has the football IQ, instincts or accuracy of a franchise QB.

18. westiedog1

Absolutely. Can't really put much stock either way at this point.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't know. But I will say that the 49ers coaching was a joke last year, so it was no surprise that Kaep flopped. Still I would go with Fitz assuming the price is reasonable.

20. NCJetsfan

Yes, I would definitely go with Fitz, not only because I think he's a better QB overall, but he knows the offense, is a great leader and has a great rapport with his offensive teammates.

NY Jets68 likes this.