Republican Nomination Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Big Blocker likes this.
  2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Turkey matters. See above.

3. Hobbes3259

What do you think the middle east being in flames is doing to the price of Oil in China.

Russia provides some oil, but in all probability only what they produce close to China to increase the profit margin.

The Middle East, and the Americas provide a large percentage of their oil imports.

The further it has to go, the greater the shipping costs....and now Russias desire to become the regional hegemon makes that a dicier proposition, the whole South China sea thing is about Oil and Gas, with Japan.

Once again, with Russia back to asserting a global influence, in one direction, and an aspiring U.S. President threatening them on currency lines, they are once again the Red headed step child.

4. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I know the map very well, thank you. The Black Sea fleet was always the weakest one in the Soviet navy for the reason you provided. In case of a global war, it would have never gotten out of the Black Sea. That fleet has no nuclear submarines or nuclear powered cruisers. It exists pretty much just to protect the Black Sea. The core of the Russian navy is in the Northern and Pacific fleets, far away from Turkey.

5. Hobbes3259

And by extension...the East Coast. I'd like it to stay that way.

And FWIW they already have one pump jet Sub stationed there....

And not just Protecting the Black Sea. Right now, they use the straits to project Military power into Syria.

My geography may be a little off...but an alliance with Assad gives them the ability to put missles in Turkey, as well as being in the Sudan would allow them to effectively cut off the Suez canal. Not to mention, a joint defense agreement with a restored Assad, would put them in the Med. That leaves one exit point for the majority of our Oil imports..the Persian Gulf ...bordered by another client state Iran.

At the end of the day. As long as Oil remains the lifeblood of the worlds economy...it seems odd to me, that no one is examining Putins moves in that regard.

Just like China in the South China Sea.

You only need to establish the ability to provide pressure, and after the "no blood for oil" cry over the Bush the Younger Presidency all of Putins moves fit that lens.

Why do you think NATO was specifically verboten in The Caspian Sea treaty?
    NATO aggression against Russia?

6. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Yes, but if a rogue NATO member, which Turkey pretty much is, picks a fight with someone, would you want to fight a war for them too? No one is attacking them. They, on the other hand, shot down an aircraft of a nuclear power that wasn't threatening them in any way. Would they still have shot it down if they weren't a NATO member? I doubt it.

7. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I am a bit lost here. How does an alliance with Assad gives Russia the ability to put missiles in Turkey?

8. Hobbes3259

Part two of the reply to that...
    He already has missiles in place in Syria, that can cripple targets in
    Turkey...the S-400 system can hit targets as low as 20 odd feet, with precision and speed...

Should I have said drop missiles on Turkey?

The s-400 is classified as AA, but who knows what else it is capable of delivering given the accuracy and speed it boasts? Dropping a payload on a target that is taller than 20 feet is clearly not out of the question.

9. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Russia can surely create a no-fly zone in that region now that they have S-400 batteries in place. As far as "dropping missiles on Turkey", Russia can easily accomplish that task launching from their own territory. They don't need Syria to do that.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't want to fight any wars unless absolutely necessary. I just question whether the NATO agreement would make it necessary.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The basic premise of the NATO Treaty is that member nations agree to defend each other when attacked by an outside aggressor.

It's not clear to me if a NATO member that provokes an attack by armed aggression is covered by the mutual defense clauses though. I'm guessing that's all political at that point and it would depend on whether NATO's interests were served by getting involved.

Turkey opened a big can of worms when they shot down the Russian jet a few weeks ago. Thankfully, nothing further happened in the way of hostilities between Russia and Turkey at that point. I wouldn't count on Turkey getting another free pass if they shoot at the Russians. I suspect a retaliatory act would be likely at that point and then we're at the political phase of the conflict.

12. mute

mute Well-Known Member

13. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Oh, classy like Fox News?

Heh!

Douthat posted that on Twitter. It was not a Times published statement. He is their conservative columnist.

But since he does not publish in the right wing echo chamber, I am not surprised you seem not to know who he is. He is a Republican through and through. Along with others his argument is that Trump is not.

17. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

They meaning MSM clowns in general

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't care who he is or what his political leanings are. He works for the NY Times and apparently thinks it's cool to make tweets joking about assassinating presidential candidates.

The NY Times should fire him immediately if they don't want the heat for it.

Let me know when Fox News employees start making jokes about assassinating democrats on twitter.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah that was really pathetic. I'd feel that way no matter who the joke was aimed towards. assassination jokes? shaking my damn head

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Damn! This thread is going to be so much fun when Trump loses the race. :p