The most mature, the most obnoxious....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by onefanjet, Nov 1, 2006.

1. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

I just finished listening to the curtis martin press conference on www.nyjets.com, (as usual forgive me if this discussion has been posted) and have the following thoughts.
    After watching a man taking the podium, a professional athlete with the unparralelled character that has defined a career, with what must be the most difficult and burdensome situation for that individual, I came to the understanding of who Curtis Martin is. Curtis Martin is a humble, yet tough(strong) soul who is above and beyond the most unselfish, mature player that has graced the NFL stage in my lifetime. After watching Curtis answer questions for nearly a half hour, many of which the new york media tinged with accusations towards staff as being untruthful, or not forthcoming, insinuating that curtis himself was less than informative with the press and trying to lay blame and fault with even Herm Edwards (no I'm not a Herm lover or hater.... but I dont believe he INTENTIONALLY put curtis in harms way), I saw a man filled with Grace, Humility, and Patience. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seemed to me that the press questions were OBNOXIOUS and curtis was patient, and ABOVE them yet accommodating and even unnesessarily thankful to the beat writers. A man like this doesn't come along often.........

2. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

I hope he has a place in the organization to mentor young players. The guy is a 100% class act.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I didn't hear the press conference. So what you're saying is that Curtis didn't refer to himself as "dos ocho" on his way out?

4. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

He is definately gonna be a part of the Jets Staff if he is not too busy with his future Plans with a couple of companies that he didnt want to say who

5. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

ahahahah good shit sea

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Something tells me he's not going to want to coach. While he's an awesome guy, I don't think he has 1) the fire to be a coach or 2) the desire in football to coach. I'd bet he loves the game, but what factors into his decision is life after football.

7. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

I recall reading a piece on Martin from the 2004 season in which Curtis states that he was never a football fan growing up. He never loved the game, but once he realized he was good at it, he completely dedicated himself to it. He said that he's never watched an NFL game on TV, ever. I don't believe he gets much enjoyment out of "the game", but thrives in competitive situations, whatever they may be. I do not believe Martin will pursue coaching.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

9. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Ya Guys missed the point...... It was about Curtis.... Character.... not weathr he would coach or stay with the jets.... c'mon, tighten up

10. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

+1. I can't think of a more exceptional player in the modern era who has set a better example of how a professional athlete should conduct himself on and off the field. I have enormous respect and admiration for him both as a player and a human being.

11. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

It was football, or the streets. He choose football. He has no interest in coaching, or really in football, I remember him saying he doesnt even watch the superbowl.

12. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Curtis the best Jets RB of all time. I hope you don't think we're doing fine withought him.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

After all those years getting beat up on the way to Canton, I hope Curtis takes the rest of his life off and goes on a long, well deserved vacation away from football. He doesn't need to coach. He doesn't need to be some iconic figure on the sidelines either.

Curtis Martin was perhaps the greatest Jet ever. Let the man get on with his life in peace now. He can always comeback for playoff games like Joe Willie and other great Jets of days gone by.

14. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Yeah, Curtis set the bar about as high as it can get, not in performance on the field, but off.

15. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I seem to remember him saying something to the tune of not wanting to coach...classy guy that he is, he stuck out his contract and helped the younger guys all last year, but I fear that retirement means just that...from all of football.

Thanks Curtis, we had a good run. :martin: :beer:

16. OJDidIt

OJDidIt Banned

Curtis almost got us to the promised land. If his teammates-like everyone's favorite hero wayne chrebet- would have held on to the football in Denver we'd have another Lombardi trophy. Sorry your teammates let u down, C man.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I love Curtis as much as anyone but Curtis himself didn't show up that day. Alot had to do w/ his OL not opening any holes but he was completly shut down and had a fumble in that game.

18. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Sad fact about Martin is he probably won't be a 1st year HOF selection. Marshall Faulk will steal the show for the RB that year. Multiple League MVP and SB winner. Martin can't even compete with him. He has neither and even his one rushing title really should have been Alexander's too if it wasn't for that rare QB sneak Seattle did the last game that year.

Matin is a class act but not THE CLASS ACT.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

If Shaun Alexnader doesn't fumble going in for a Td against the Jets a few weeks earlier then he wins the rushing title. Curtis earned the title and Faulk was the better player at his peak but Curtis is going in and Curtis has been to 2 conf title games and a SB so his record isn't too shabby.