Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Hey, you're up first. Snow started in southern p.a. give us a report when it starts for you

2. FJF

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

As long as the who you are paying attention too considers something like a polluted town news.

4. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

seems like some models are starting to show up to 2 feet for NYC

this a precipitation forecast, use roughly a 10:1 snow ratio:

[​IMG]

5. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

6. GordonGecko

ok well surprise surprise good chance we're getting 2 feet+ in NYC

the guy Sam Champion on WABC news last night was swearing up and down that no way we get more than a few inches

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Why are some of you pulling for a massive storm? Storms are not good things. People get hurt or die, lose power, property is damaged etc. A 6=8 snow fall without wind is no big deal, but hoping for a blizzard with high winds and the potential for injury, property damage and beach erosion is pretty warped. We are not 10 year olds hoping for a snow day. I hope it busts.

dawinner127 likes this.
  8. GordonGecko

This assumes there's a big switch labelled "STORM ON / STORM OFF" and people are choosing the ON position. Nothing we can do about this, might as well enjoy it with the kids.

#9468 GordonGecko, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Amen. I have 8 trucks that need to go out for delivery Monday morning. I have a 35 minute drive from Bergen county to Hudson county tomorrow morning. I know I'm going to be shoveling and snow blowing my driveway and cleaning trucks all day. Hope this busts just like Vernon Gholston

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

1600hrs: Radar says its snowing, but nothing hitting the ground yet..

11. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

Thats the dry air eating up the moisture. Don't you worry one bit! you're gonna get crushed

12. Cman68

1700hrs..... Still nothing hitting the ground BUT, we've been "upgraded" to Blizzard status for tomorrow..

*UPDATE:

It has started to snow here...

#9472 Cman68, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    CBG likes this.
  13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

There are people on this thread hoping for a big storm. That's pretty sick. It's like hoping for a train wreck. You want a 6 inches of white fluffy stuff to break out the sleds and build frosty on your front lawn, fine. But this is a bad storm with heavy snow and high winds and coastal flooding. Hoping for this to hit this area hard is like hoping for a hurricane to hit the area. Not everybody is 30 years old with little ones. There are seniors out there who are at great risk. There are people who are in their 60s and older who have legitimate worries about heat and damage. Their are people who don't have adequate housing. I am going out tonight to buy gas, I've tested the generator, and all I am going to do is hope my power stays on and nothing on my house is damaged. I don't see the fun in that. I don't see the fun in massive beach erosion for shore areas or in 50 mph winds, or more damage to our area costing money and causing misery for some people. You want to play in the snow, hop a plane to Vail.

14. GordonGecko

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wants to see any flooding at all

15. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

I dont think anyone wants anyone to get hurt, or have to deal with any damage or loss of power. But like someone said earlier, its not something anyone can control. There is no on/off switch. I think people, myself included, just like to see mother nature flex her muscles from time to time. Remind us that we do not control this planet.

Cman68 likes this.
  16. Cman68

I haven't been in a true "blizzard" since 1976 when I was in college up in Boston. Gov. Dukakis closed the entire eastern part of Massacheutts. I remember walking thru Boston as no motor vehicle traffic was allowed for 2 days. Got to literally walk downtown Boston while people on Xcountry skis glided by. York and Lancaster PA are now under a blizzard warning.

Br4d and CBG like this.
  17. FJF

Cman68 and CBG like this.
  18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Geezuz they never closed us down in Syracuse because of the snow.

Only time they cancelled school in my 7 1/2 years up there was when it got to 60 below and they were afraid students lungs would freeze.

Having said that, they cancelled school once or twice last year for my son when they got dumped on big time.

_

19. Cman68

No problem with pics.. I might throw in a video if I can figure out how to do it... :)

Just to be safe, I ran the Ariens and my lil Troybuilt for 10mins each without issue. Learned a great salt spread technique too. I used my Scotts lawn fertilizer spreader for salt spreading and set on its biggest spread. No problem getting 100lbs down in about 15mins.

I'm not gonna do much snowblowing tomorrow as it wouldn't make much sense to use the Ariens just to have the snow I just moved backfilled before I could get back to the garage. I will get out the yardsticks and will provide depths and pics.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I walked in from Weston to Porter Square during that one because the trains weren't running due to 6 feet of snow on the tracks in some areas. I was ok with snow shoes but if I'd been older and wiser I'd have gotten a pair of cross country skis.

I felt like I had the streets to myself after I got into Cambridge. The only place that I found open anywhere was the Coop. They were almost out of everything but I got a hot coffee and a pastry before I turned back around and headed back out to Weston.

I just wanted to be able to say I'd done it. It was like my personal hike up Everest.