Fitzpatrick, a Bills fan's perspective

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mynmisoli, Aug 22, 2015.

1. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Can't put a price on stabilizing the most important position on the field.

2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

and analysts were shitting on both those moves hard in the offseason

3. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

We didn't draft Geno to not be on the roster either, then, right?

Dumb logic. It was a a QB prospect. We took a chance. We might take another chance this time. The best guys will make the roster. The best guy will start. It's soooo simple.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Where did I argue otherwise? Can you say context?

That is why if Fitz get resigned Geno will not be on the Roster.

5. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

Right now you're saying otherwise.

There's nothing that suggests that. We don't know if Petty is good enough to be a back up QB and we don't know if we are going to draft another QB. If Petty isn't better than Geno (which he probably isn't, Geno's been the back up all season), why would Geno be off the roster. Geno doesn't cost anything to keep.

6. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

get feelers out on #7. if nothing? Have a frank conversation with him about where he wants to take his career because with an interim starter in place (Fitz) and another man to develop (Petty) the best we could offer him is a competition for the role of backup and an uphill battle to start again.

Like every other idzik pick it doesn't hurt to bring him back next spring or to training camp assuming the best win out on merit anyhow, unless he flatly states that he'd rather try elsewhere why NOT keep him in the fold?

dude was #1 on the depth chart till IK the asshole wrecked things (No credit to him for our success btw, fuck IK, he put us in a worse position by giving other QB's a higher risk of getting hurt because we were missing a guy, and if Geno was as much a disaster in waiting as reported it would have made itself clear with time anyway)

he's not completely useless to us. But lets be real, that ship is sailing way away for him to succeed here. May I suggest Dallas Mr.Smith?

FJF likes this.
  7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Negatory.

_

8. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I think Dallas would be a good destination for Smith if he's cut. He gets to sit for a year or two behind an established starter in Romo. They can groom and develop him and since Jerry hates using high draft picks on QB's he gets a young QB without having to use a high pick.

9. jxc

jxc Active Member

There is a nice article about Fitzpatrick on NFL.com entitled "Ryan Fitzpatrick provides substance, not Style for the New York Jets". What's more the comments to the article are actually civil.

One of the comments from the article:

"I'm a Pats fan so I'm obligated to hate him, but I can't. In a league with so many egotistical divas, Fitzpatrick is humble, team-first, poised, and smart. I really wish the league had more like him. And here's a story to show his character. In college at Harvard, Fitzpatrick was a roommate and football teammate of a young man, Brandon, who was the golden boy from the town I live in. They became best friends. A few years after graduating, Brandon got very sick and died quickly and tragically young. Through those hard times, Fitzpatrick visited (and we're in the middle of nowhere in central PA) and was a big support to Brandon and his family. At Brandon's funeral, Fitzpatrick gave a loving, stunning eulogy that uplifted everyone. And Fitzpatrick has since returned to our small town to participate in fund-raising golf tournaments, and I think he's stayed in touch with Brandon's family. This is a class act, and I root for him even when rooting against his team."

abyzmul, Kris 15, pdxdrew and 2 others like this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I just go by precedent on the NFL. Teams either have a Vet QB and young backup or young QB starting with a vet backup.

If they have any and I mean any belief in Petty and if Fitz is brought back Geno is gone. There is a very slight possibility that the team does not think Petty has potential then he will have trouble making the roster.

11. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

You know how I knew Fitz was a great guy. He's never takes his wedding ring off. Even on gameday. He screams integrity like Roger Staubach did. He doesn't get caught in Las Vegas bathroom doing blow or beat his kid. That's refreshing in a world of lowered expectations.

#291 pdxdrew, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    FlaJet and june19 like this.
  12. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I want Fitz back as long as we have a viable number 2. I know they are different QBs but the arc of the story reminds me so much of Vinny in '98. Older guy comes in to be the backup most likely competing with a young QB in camp. Becomes starter, has a breakout year. We put all our eggs in the Vinny basket in '99 and we know how that turned out.

13. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I wonder whatever happened to Rick Mirer, Does Notre Dame fans have a witness protection program for all their shitty underachieving QBs.... The Ron Powlus Program

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I would love to have the 32nd pick. We could draft a punter there and I would be happy with the 32nd pick.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that Dallas locker room is filled with big egos and mentally lacking individuals. Geno Smith would fit in great there!

FlaJet likes this.
  16. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Who was crapping on the Marshall move? Everyone recognized it was a heist at the time. I think people were underwhelmed at the Fitzpatrick move cause it wasn't splashy. But you can't underestimate the power of Fitzmagic
    [​IMG]

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I'll be honest I was completely underwhelmed by the Fitz move.

I steadily became overwhelmed and by week 1 I was in 100%.

_

18. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I'd still like to see how he performs in bad weather. I think this balmy December has worked greatly in our favor.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. mgjetman22

mgjetman22 Active Member

The best player does NOT always start. The only reason Fitz started was because Enemkapali was good enough to to jack Gina's jaw. What a blessing or we would be like 2 - 11 right now.

FlaJet likes this.
  20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Geno being the current "back up" has to do with the coaching staff's 2015 objective to glue Petty's ass to the bench on Sundays and not even consider him in any contingency plans should e.g. Fitz get injured. Petty's all about development: game day field study, playbook-classroom film sessions and practice field "put it into practice" reps.

Not until the final 2016 preseason game vs. the Eagles will the Jets begin to give any indication of where they see Petty in their future plans.

#300 joe, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    cmcm750203 and Donttasemebro like this.