Fitzpatrick, a Bills fan's perspective

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mynmisoli, Aug 22, 2015.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I never joke.

_

2. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

If we are keeping Fitz and developing Petty why would we acquire another young QB? There's nothing wrong with keeping 3 QBs. Petty is never active and if he's not ready to be our back up role next year then it'll stay that way. We have 3 QB's but only 2 are active on game days which is fitz and geno. If petty shows he's ready for the back up role you can dump Geno in the preseason but there's no reason to cut his contract early for no reason he barely even has a cap hit.

3. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Fitzy's trade pick went from a seventh to a sixth because he has now played at least 70% of the snaps this year.

Still worth it.

4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Abso-freakin-lutely

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I firmly believe in the idea of addition by subtraction. that would be a reason to dump Geno Smith other than financial reasons. You boost Petty's confidence, get the kid more reps in practice, he takes the next step in his development by having to get ready to play every single week, etc....

again- provided he shows progression. As we've seen with Fitzpatrick he runs around like an idiot so he could be knocked out at anytime so the backup has to be ready. If Petty is that guy next year thats ready to play if called upon thats a huge bonus for the Jets organization and I wouldn't waste any time with Geno Smith at that point, even if there's no financial difference. if they feel the 2 guys (Smith and Petty) are close then you cut Smith.

-- as to why we would acquire another young QB, why not? I firmly believe in always looking for new young QBs. 6th/7th round, UDFA, etc. grab one next year and worst case scenario he's on the practice squad. If you keep Geno Smith/ Fitzpatrick / Petty around then you have 4 QBs and reps are at a premium in training camp / preseason.

TNJet and JetLifeLo like this.
  6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Because you did not draft Petty to not be on the active roster. Most likely scenario is they sign Fitz and cut Geno. If they do not sign Fitz I can see Petty and Geno having a training camp battle but I see that as less likely.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I just realized that Fitzpatrick is probably the only high school senior in history who applied to Harvard as his safety school. He didn't get recruited by any of the real football schools.

PulseJet, 74, BrowningNagle and 2 others like this.
  8. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

we straight dominating the titans and this guy running downfield tryna block for powell and shit wtf

9. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Safe to say Fitz is getting re-signed.

TNJet likes this.
  10. JetLifeLo

i agree with acquiring another young QB for the practice squad that's fine. I don't see Bowles as a boost your confidence kinda coach i see him as a earn your keeps point blank. Like i said if Petty looks ready to be a back up then no doubt you can cut Geno last game of pre-season. But if he's still looking raw why would you want him to be your QB knowing Fitz can get knocked out at anytime? I know people hate geno's guts but there's really no point in dumping him prematurely.

socaljetfan likes this.
  11. JetLifeLo

Yeah i don't see it going down like this at all. agree to disagree.

12. JStokes

I don't think the decision is going to come down to progression on the field because it's likely neither of them is going to get a chance to show it.

I think it's going to come down to a matter of whether Petty is showing maturity and leadership off the field.

Petty has just as good, if not better, physical tools as Geno and if he's showing more in the building than Geno from a maturity standpoint--I think they move on from Geno.

_

PulseJet likes this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

NE will be looking for a new QB in a year or two. We should trade Geno to NE for The Gronk + a 3rd rounder. But that's just me :)

14. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

What a lot of you guys are missing on Fitz is this is the first time in his career he's actually wanted.

5 previous teams couldnt wait to get rid of him.

Mac brought him in so you know he wouldnt mind resigning him. Gailey knows how to get the best out of him. Bowles is already on record on saying he wants him back. And Fitz seems to know he benefits greatly from the WR's he has here.

So why would he want to leave here to go to a team that is not as well built for the next 2-3 years as we are , and risk being thrown away after 1 mediocre season there in hopes that a young QB will be the answer.

We wont be picking high enough in the 1st to warrant a QB pick. So it makes too much sense for all sides involved to come back for another season or two.

PulseJet likes this.
  15. JStokes

I think this year using a first round pick--even the 32nd--on a QB would be a mistake.

Not that good and Petty's better than all of them.

_

JetLifeLo likes this.
  16. JStokes

I don't think they will be. I think Garappolo is their QB in waiting.

_

JetLifeLo and Footballgod214 like this.
  17. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Yeah a lot of people seem to love the QB class this year but I just dont see it.

Even Cook, who I really likely going into this year, has some huge flaws.

Maybe if one guy drops to the 3rd or 4th I could see the team taking a chance. But any higher than that would be a huge mistake for sure.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

for a 6th round pick (fitz) and a 5th round pick (marshall) we have a top 5 QB to WR combo in the NFL

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

haha yeah thats pretty funny. I heard he wanted Arizona State bad but they didnt want him. good call by them. :rolleyes: He was undersized though 5'11 as a high school senior.

Look at this conversation he had with his dad LOL probably not a conversation that happens in living rooms of high school seniors very often!

http://nypost.com/2015/09/26/the-life-of-ryan-fitzpatrick-pop-warner-grit-to-jets-steady-hand/

PulseJet and Br4d like this.
  20. 74

74 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Oh yeah don't you know I'm loco

All Gas No Shake likes this.