Playoff Picture Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Oct 25, 2015.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes... well excuse me. the 10-6 projection for the Jets I am referring to is based on a loss to an AFC team (NE, TEN or BUF).. If the Jets beat all three of them and their only loss the rest of the way is to Dallas. The Jets finish 10-6 and beat out Pittsburgh at 10-6. Unlikely though that we beat everyone and lose to 3-9 Dallas but nonetheless the truth.

Jets conference record is 5-4 right now
    Pitt conference record is 4-4.

Pitt has the benefit of playing 4 conference teams to finish the year. so if they finish 10-6, that'll put them 7-5 in conference. Jets lose to anyone in the AFC and finish 10-6 they'll be 7-5 as well. They beat Oakland, we didn't so they get in based on common opponents.

(unless their only loss is to Cleveland- then that complicates things but just like its unlikely our only loss comes to Dallas, its unlikely their only loss comes to Cleveland).

essentially if we want to make the playoffs without winning out its a safe bet to say we need Pittsburgh to lose 2

Brook!, irishwhip03 and Chadchrebet like this.
  2. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

That is why I don't gamble, and post on the message boards.

3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I agree. They are brawlers so I expect them to get it done against weak opponents - then go one-and-done in the playoffs.

We need to win the next two cupcake games and put pressure on everyone else. I just hope Cinci and/or Denver don't lay an egg against the Steelers

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree, my fear is that once either Cincinnati or Denver establish home field advantage for the playoffs they will pull the starters and all bets are off. The earlier the Steelers loose a game the better.
    Jets need to play for their life's from here on out.

5. ConcordeChops

Ugh. Just done the Playoff predictor thing and we miss out whether at 10-6 or 9-7. I didn't realise how crucial it was to have Pitt lose both the next two games.

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That can't be right. Pittsburgh needs to lose both?

7. ConcordeChops

Seems that way. See BrowningNagle's post above - we don't go through with the same record - assuming KC/Houston play as expected also.

This is all moot as there are a thousand different permutations and we'll probably get blown out by the Titans. I promised myself I'd never post in one of these threads.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The bad news for the Jets and Steelers is how easy the Chiefs schedule is the rest of the way. Literally they should not lose a single game. You never know in the NFL though. At the moment, you would have to say the Steelers are the best (7-5) team between the Chiefs, Jets and Steelers. All the Jets can do is play and win. Let the chips fall. This is why the NFL is my favorite sport. You can't blow home games against the Bills, or come out flat against the Texans, give the Eagles a win, or get torched by the Raiders. Each game is so important.

Poeman likes this.
  9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

One game at a time. Win every one.

Beat Tennessee, beat Dallas, beat New England at home, and then seek justice against Rex Ryan and his gay ass bills.

Finish the year 11-5 and go to the playoffs.

One game at a time

Freddy Mondo, NY Jets68 and Poeman like this.
  10. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Where do I sign?

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Every team gets hot and cold over the course of a season. Kansas City winning out would entail then winning 10 straight to close the season, I don't think it's happening. There's a reason they were 1-5 in the first place and those flaws will resurface, no matter their opponents.

Brook! likes this.
  12. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I dont want to say any game is a sure win, but these next 2 games should be very winnable for us. Even considering Dallas is still alive right now , I'd be shocked if they still are when we play them.

Being 9-5 going into a home game against NE on most likely that Sunday night would be amazing.

13. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Chiefs are looking very solid for the #5 seed, which is unfortunate because the difference in opponent from #5 seed v. #6 seed is gigantic. They own tiebreaker over us and I really cannot see them doing any worse than 3-1 if they continue playing the way they have. Our best-case scenario is probably 10-6. The question will be where do the Steelers finish and how will that tiebreaker work its way out by the end of the season. It would be nice to make the playoffs no matter what, even if it means a road trip against a 12-4 or 13-3 team. Bowles needs the playoff experience, and even the top teams in the AFC have shown some warts.

14. Chadchrebet

Don't want to put the cart before the horse, but i'd be licking my chops if we got Houston/ Indy in the first round and then got to travel to Cincy against Big Red.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

KCC worries me to no end. San Diego can't seem to put one solid game together, may be the game in Baltimore is a loss, Cleveland at KCC is a joke. Our last hope is for the Raiders to kick their ass the last game of the season, to avenge that pathetic performance yesterday, but is very unlikely. Worst case they might go 10-6.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You know Coach Speak, saying "One Game At A Time". Really true right now for the Jets. The projections will change week to week now. Just have to take care of business. This week: Titans.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  17. Chadchrebet

Also, only ONE 1-5 team has made the playoffs, and that was the 1070 Bengals. Thats why I think KC will cool. It will be mightily impressive if they can then go 9-1 to finish the year @10-6.

18. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

It's easy to point to past history, but you still have to find the teams on their schedule that will beat them. The Browns and Chargers not even competitive lately. The Ravens were a bad team with Flacco, and have a far worse Schaub at center now. The Raiders' motivation in week 17 is also a fair question. They will be eliminated at that point, and on the road in a very hostile environment. The Chiefs may be able to do something rarely done simply because of their schedule, not because they are a great football team. Don't forget a similar version of this team started out 9-0 a couple seasons ago, so a 10-0 stretch for them is really not out of the question in my mind.

James Hasty likes this.
  19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we get into the playoffs without backing in (losing to Buffalo) I will be happy.

Who we play if we get in is a worry for another day.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Bah, humbug. Even the best realistic scenario doesn't give us the division.

NE loses @ HOU, @ MIA

Jets win out.

Both teams are 11-5, the tiebreaker goes 5 deep:

1) Head to head: EVEN (1-1)
    2) Divisional record: EVEN (4-2)
    3) Record among common opponents: EVEN (9-3)
    4) Conference record: EVEN (8-4)
    5) Strength of schedule: Patriots win AFC East (all wins for both teams cancel out except for 2 each: Jets beat MIA and CLE, NE beat PIT and BUF. The Steelers and Bills are locks to finish with better combined records than the Browns and Dolphins)

The Patriots would have to lose out, including that home game vs the Titans. Not happening, oh well.