Playoff Picture Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Oct 25, 2015.

1. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

For the moment I'm going to assume we can't beat out the Chiefs for the 5th seed. We really needed them to lose to Buffalo and it didn't happen. That leaves us in a position where we will can still be OK if we get to 7-6 with a loss to the Giants and a win vs the Titans assuming ---

Steelers beat Colts at home on MNF then lose at Cincy. We'd still be ahead of a 7-6 Pitt on conference record.
    Colts lose that game at Pitt but beat Jax. We'd still be ahead of Indy as we are today.
    Texans split their next two vs Buffalo and NE. We'd be ahead of them in a three way tie based on conference record.
    OR - Texans lose both. We'd be a game ahead.
    OR - Texans win both. They'd be in 1st so we'd beat out Indy in the WC race.

The bottom line is --- a 7-6 Jets team would be sitting in the 6th seed with three games left.
    A lot of IF's but they're all likely to happen. If the Steelers win in Cincy, we'd be a game back.

EDIT --- NO. A Houston split hurts us. We need them to win both or lose both.

#341 truthbtold, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  2. bnots13

bnots13 Active Member

Gotta remember Colts are also 6-5, whom the Jets have the tiebreaker against. I would view next weeks MNF as a wash regardless of the outcome. Gotta pull for Rex and the Bills next week. And obviously pulling for the Raiders.

3. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

The Jets need to start beating decent teams if they want to make the playoffs. Cleveland isn't going to be a first round opponent, Denver or Cincinnati will be. I'll fell much better about the Jets if they can get things done vs the Giants.

If the Jets can beat the Giants, they'll be 7-5 with the Titans and Cowboys on deck. They won't have to worry about other teams falling apart if they win their games.

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Win this week and we can string together a nice little win streak vs Titans and a Romoless Cowboys team!!

5. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

If we win next week it doesn't matter what any of the other teams do, we will have a playoff seed... 5th or 6th seed depends on Buffalo,KC,Pitt. But if we win we are in.

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Are you saying if we win this weekend we are in no matter what? Because that's not true if that's what you're saying

7. Jay Bizniss

That is exactly what I am saying.. We will have a seed if we win regardless of other outcomes.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Go for it.

8. Falco21

That's predicting us going 10-6. Not sure if I'm following you.

If we win this weekend and lose every other game we are not in the playoffs

9. Jay Bizniss

Lol.. I am talking about just this weekend. Obviously we aren't in the playoffs if we lose after this week the rest of the games... I mean if we win Sunday we will go into the following week with a seed... We control our destiny here.

10. Falco21

Ok that's what I was getting at. It sounded like you meant "just win this weekend and we're in"

Makes sense now. It all starts with a win on Sunday. We need this W

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  11. Jay Bizniss

Haha sorry about that.. Should have made it more clear... But yea despite this team dropping some games we should have won, they are still in the drivers seat here... Lets try and keep it that way.

Falco21 likes this.
  12. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

That loss to Rex and the Bills gets more and more annoying.

NY Jets68 and Royal Tee like this.
  13. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Can't believe we are still relevant in the playoff after dropping all those games. We had lady luck with us on our side this week. Gunna have to ride Fitz all the way....

14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

We need Houston to win the AFC South. The colts are no threat to us in the hunt, but the texans are. But the Texans are no threat to us if they are winning their division point blank.

People have KC locked to beat OAK twice but i don't even see where the match ups are in KC's favor.. in fact i think they play heavily in Oaklands favor esp. with justin houston getting hurt last week. KC has a very weak pass D and that's oaklands strong point (we should know best). Oaklands pass D isn't good either, but KC has no pass real consistent pass game. anyway i think Oakland sweeps or splits.

Bills suck, i hope we beat the brakes off of them like we should have last time we met.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

thanks for your research. I think Houston loses both the Buffalo and NE games. I don't see them winning in Buffalo and NE is obviously better than them. I think they'll be 6-7 in two weeks.

I worry about Pittsburgh and KC. KC is hot and they have an easy schedule- its possible they could even win out. Pittsburgh is getting healthy and with that offense they will be a tough out for everyone the rest of the year. We need to win the Giants and Titans game and be 8-5 in 2 weeks

16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I think Houston loses both. i also see KC finishing 3-2 which means we can only afford 1 more loss in my book.

I think point blank we're not getting in unless we're at least 10-6.

17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I might be in the minority but I don't see Houston as a problem at all. They have to go to Buffalo this week, then play the Patriots and Colts. I think they're just a mediocre team that went on a hot streak and should wind up 8-8 with their schedule.

18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Maybe I should read before I post next time. I said "I may be in the minority" and then proceeded to echo the opinions of the 3 people who posted directly above me.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Texans, Raiders and Colts, have Texas win the AFC South we have head to head over the Colts, Raiders have the toughest schedule from here out so they get this win to give the Jets the upper hand for the moment over KC with a Jets win. Then again the Steelers schedule coming up is not easy so even if they win Sunday they have Cinci and Denver coming up and not a good conference record.

20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

8-8 might be good enough to win the AFC South, I think it comes down to the Jets winning at least 3 of 5 but hopefully finish out 4-1 or really stretching, 5-0