Defense looking better

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Put Brady or Manning or Brees or any of 5 or six others on this team and Gailey will look like a genius..I can't believe people still expect miracles without a QB in the NFL.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Simple Don Math: put a Hall of Fame QB on the Jets and they'll win games.

Nobel fucking Laureate

BrowningNagle likes this.
  3. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

its not let them rant...

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We need a young, talented OC that can score points and win games when his RB is tackled in the backfield, his QB has a weak arm and less than 2 seconds to throw the ball, and his WRs are just as likely to drop a pass as catch it. Sorry, but Chan Gailey just ain't that OC. He stinks!!!!

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This is NOT a sane NFL universe. Not anymore. At the end of the season, lets see where that possible 395 points lands in the big picture. I have a feeling its gonna be a lot less spectacular than it sounds right now. Welcome to the new era NFL where points means ratings and ratings means swag sales. In the meantime, keep an eye on the 1st qtr of Jet games and count the 4 and outs.

6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

From a quick Google search, Jets appear to be 10th in the league in the 1st Quarter points. Again, not great, but not nearly as bad as you seem to be indicating. According to most metrics, the Jets are anywhere from a top 9-12 offense.

3 and outs I agree with you. Jets have way too many 3 and outs (highest % in the league), and some of that blame can absolutely be attributed to Gailey.

Just going on a quick google search for stats, that is one of the blemishes so far on Gaileys record.

Br4d likes this.
  7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Just a couple other offensive stats for the 2015 Jets. (I found a nifty website)

Touchdowns per game- 6th
    Offensive TD's per game- 5th
    Yards per point- 8th
    Points per play- 12th
    Yards per game- 14th
    Third Down Conversion %- 11th

These are just some quick stats I found before I left work. Besides the unacceptably high number of 3 and outs, I dont have too too many complaints about the Gailey/Fitz combo.

#87 jcass10, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not sure how the drops factor into this. It could be a big deal or it could be nothing. Same for Fitzpatrick's tendency to throw the ball deep on 1st down, which is something that has been slowly declining over the course of the season.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I have to disagree, Cman. I don't think Gailey has been mediocre at all. Remember that this is a new system to all the Jets players save Fitz, and they are doing very well overall. Fitz is a JAG. Our OL is average or below average. Mangold has missed parts of 2 or 3 games. Colon is on IR. Our TEs are non-existent. Our WRs have dropped a ton of passes. Ivory was banged up as was Powell. Ivory has been hurt by having to take handoffs out of the shotgun due to Fitz. Stacy and Ridley have turned out to be hot garbage. We don't have a single elite player on offense unless you count Marshall as elite, and how many times has he turned the ball over or dropped passes? We don't have a single player with game-breaking speed unless Devin Smith turns out to be that guy. We don't have a single offensive player that gives opposing DCs nightmares.

If you look at the caliber of players he has to work with, I think he has done an excellent job. Could it be better? Yes. Is he sometimes too predictable? Yes, but some of that may have to do with the abilities (or lack thereof) of his players or their lack of knowledge of the offense, or the limitations of this OL. Give him a Brady or Rodgers and the Jets might be undefeated at this point.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Defense
    FS Marcus Gilchrist 72 (100)
    CB Antonio Cromartie 72 (100)
    CB Buster Skrine 69 (96)
    DE Muhammad Wilkerson 69 (96)
    DE Sheldon Richardson 67 (93)
    SS Calvin Pryor 64 (89)
    MLB David Harris 62 (86)
    CB Darrin Walls 50 (69)
    DE Mike Catapano 41 (57)
    OLB Lorenzo Mauldin 38 (53)
    WLB Demario Davis 35 (49)

DE Leonard Williams 35 (49)
    ILB Erin Henderson 28 (39)
    NT Damon Harrison 28 (39)
    CB Dexter McDougle 19 (26)
    SLB Calvin Pace 17 (24)
    S Rontez Miles 8 (11)
    CB Marcus Williams 8 (11)
    OLB Trevor Reilly 7 (10)
    DE Leger Douzable 2 (3)
    DE Stephen Bowen 1 (1)

Finally. DD & Erin rotating, as they should. Resulted in less missed tackles and less blown coverages. Mauldin taking over for Pace on passing downs as he should. Resulted in Mauldin forcing a game changing INT and another vicious sack later that game. Now if we could only get Todd to bench Cro for Marcus Williams everything would be perfect.

11. DeezNuts

DeezNuts Banned

Our linebackers are old and slow.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Erin Henderson did a nice job. She deserves more snaps

Big Blocker likes this.
  13. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

did we play better? i guess.

did we play a trash team that still passed for 300 yards and 3 scores? basically.

i dont think miami is a good gauge, giants will be a better test

14. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Most of the yards came in garbage time

15. NCJetsfan

LOL! Find me that OC and we'll have to make a movie about him. It will be entitled, "The REAL Miracle Worker". In that scenario, working with and teaching Helen Keller will be nothing compared to the work of that genius! ;)

Footballgod214 likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Yes they are, but even as slow as they are I thought surely they could get to Tannehill and pressure him more when they knew he was going to pass on almost every down. Now, I'm not so sure they could get to the QB if they could ride a Segway.

17. Vahncase

Vahncase Well-Known Member

In case anyone's wondering how Leonard Williams is doing, he's the highest rated rookie on PFF this year.
    [​IMG]

Wasn't there some dumb thread where a few posters were implying that he was disappointing?
    Those are just 3-4 DE stats, but the rest of the rookies aren't all that close.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

On Davis:

Maybe it just took the CS time to work a new rotation in to cut Davis's snap count. I am... pleased.

19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Guilty! But I based my comment on his own statement comparing his "game" to J.J. Watt. Watt had 5.5 sacks his rookie year and followed that up with 20.5 the next.

20. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

This is why I wanted Gurley. We would've been set at RB for the next 5 years at minimum with Ivory/Gurley or just Gurley. We could have used this offseason to resign Wilk and shore up the Oline. Instead we will inevitably trade Wilk for half his value and the replacement pick/player won't be near as good as him.

I'll take it a step further, look at the Coples pick. He looked promising his rookie season playing on the Dline. So what do we do? We draft Sheldon Richardson and force Coples to OLB which he failed at miserably. Now we let him go for nothing. If Coples had stayed on the Dline next to Wilk and Snacks, he would have been much more productive and would not have been cut this soon.

As one poster mentioned, Our LBs stink because we drafted so heavily on the DLine