Defense looking better

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Nov 29, 2015.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think that MM was a victim of anything other than his own incompetence. Was he lacking in offensive talent with which to work? For certain, but he didn't build his offense around the players that were here. He tried to plug square plugs into round holes, and when that didn't work, just kept doing the same thing expecting different results. His play calling was also awful.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's light years ahead of Schotty / Sparano in my opinion. Weeks used to go by with Schotty where we couldn't score touchdowns.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

MM always had issues with short-yardage going back to the Eagle days, but MM and Geno Smith was an awful combination in my opinion. Geno is awful with the short passing game.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

and you're describing OC's who are decent at their job. Nothing spectacular. Some of Gailey's play calling has been atrocious and predictable. His second half adjustments have been his saving grace this season. He's just simply OK at best, predictable at worse. Buffalo fans, while not accurate usually, did warn us about Gailey and so far, they haven't been that far off.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think Schotty may have been the worst OC in the history of the NFL. I used to have a list of about 10-15 things about him that were awful. He was at his worst when he had a lot of time to think and prepare for games. The offense was always awful following the BYE week. His play calling sucked. His play design sucked. I don't think he had a single positive, saving grace about him.

6. 101GangGreen101

I like the term simplistic. Just line up and win your match-up. Unfortunately, at times the offensive line isn't really winning many of the 1 on 1 battles consistently. I think given the weapons we have, Gailey's been good enough for us.

We are 7th in PPG, and pretty much the middle of the pack team when it comes to yards per game. We are 10th in the NFL when it comes down to converting on 3rd down and our Red-zone offense has been spectacular. I agree there are things that we can complain about in regards to Gailey, but given the limitations of Fitzpatrick's arm and our below average offensive line, we aren't doing too bad.

Next year, Jets could take another step forward. My main things about the offense is converting on 3rd down, and winning in the RZ. I am glad Gailey has been able to make adjustments on the fly, I do agree we need to start off hotter against better teams.

7. 101GangGreen101

NO half-time adjustments either! His offense was always bad, weeks would go by where we wouldn't see our team score a freaking touchdown. He will never step foot on an NFL team ever again.

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Are there any fans of any teams that actually like their OC? My guess is, 90% of fans think they have the worst OC in the league.

Gailey had 4 or 5 absolutely brutal calls against Buffalo. I will never deny that. But fans are the ultimate Monday morning quarterbacks.

Having said that, I really dont think he has been so bad. He tells the best players to win their matchups and the ball goes to them:

Eric Decker has 8 TD's and 700 yards.
    Brandon Marshall has 9 TD's and 931 yards.
    Ivory has 7 TD's and 766 yards.

Jets are on pace for at least one 1000 yard/10TD receiver (maybe 2) and a thousand yard RB. When was the last time we could boast that.

9. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Some of those calls in the Buffalo game are on Fitz. He audibled into a couple of the failed 4th down plays.

I've been pleased with Gailey's offense overall this year. Our biggest issues have been execution. There was a stat that said the Jets have the third most drops in the league this year. That's on the players.

#69 Kris 15, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Those stats are nice if they translate into wins. In this day and age of rules that suppress the defense, they are just average stats.

This isn't fucking 1995. The league has changed.

11. jcass10

Jets are currently 7th in points, 14th in yards, 11th in 3rd down %, and I believe have the best redzone stats as well. They also have the 9th worst drop pass percentage in the NFL.

I am not saying that they are some offensive juggernaut, they arent. But besides one terrible game in Buffalo, I'm not sure I've seen a legitimate argument for Chan Gailey being one of the worst OC's in the game.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Cman68

Stats can be deceiving. In this case, Gailey isn't the worst OC in the NFL, but he's certainly not in the elite class of OC either. He's been mediocre. Just like the Buffalo fans said he was. He looks great compared to Sparano, MM and the immortal Schotty but like I said earlier, its all relative.

13. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree.

Besides, the supposed best OC's have elite QB's on their roster.

LIJetsFan and westiedog1 like this.
  14. Cman68

Who was our OC when we had Farve?

15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Right. It helps when you have a top tier QB on your roster, something none of the aforementioned Jet OC's have had the luxury to experience, with the possible exception of Favre, who may or may not have been hurt.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. jcass10

Just curious, why do you think these stats are deceiving?

I know its easy to rip on the Jets offense because we watch them more than any other team, but there are some very bad offensive teams out there. After MNF tonight, there will probably be 2 more fanbases complaining that they have the worst OC in the league.

I'm just looking for a little insight/evidence as to why Gailey has been so bad. He had 4-5 terrible calls against Buffalo (although apparently Fitz audibled out of some, but I cannot confirm that). Seems like the Jets worst offensive games coincided with injuries to Fitzpatrick/Marshall/OL. We surely cant blame that on Gailey.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  17. Cman68

Between our record and my lying eyes, I see a lot of predictable playcalling. I see Gailey's initial approach to games being ineffective particularly in the first possession of most games. Too many 4 and outs early. Every team in the league knows when Ivory is on the field, we're gonna run on 1st down.

On 3rd and medium, we always run short routes and depend on YACS to make the 1st down. Then by the second half, Gailey makes his adjustments and we're playing catchup (last Sunday being rare) because the defense has already played significant minutes.

There isn't much imagination in his playcalling either. Ivory has better hands than ever but no circle routes? Not one play action fake on 3rd down? Rarely does he roll Fitz AWAY from the pressure or anywhere for that matter..Hell, I'm still waiting for a 3rd and long draw play from the days of Paul F'n Hackett.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Absolutely. The Jets are on a pace to score 395 points this season and people are upset about the OC? How is that possible in a sane universe?

LIJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

Brett Favre :D

The offense though is predictable / simplistic, but our guys on the outside can win match-ups; and the QB no matter how predictable the offense is can get the ball to them.

Jets need a 3rd receiver to emerge, if Devin can build on yesterday's performance, the offense will look even better.

Kris 15 and Cman68 like this.
  20. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I know a bunch of Steelers fans who swore that Bruce Arians was absolute dog shit.