Defense looking better

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Nov 29, 2015.

1. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

As much as I'd love to cut his useless ass, -- with Cromartie's tenure with the Jets ending soon, we could certainly use the depth. Especially for a player with 1 more year under his rookie contract. We can Coples his ass in November, 2016.

Pretty scary to consider the 9th overall player of the 2013 draft as nothing more than just "depth".

2. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

No, he was out the rest of the game. He took a pretty good smack to his knee trying to return the ball.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The players in the doghouse would seem to be Kerley, Milliner and before his release Coples. It's possible that Bowles thinks Kerley isn't talented enough to be on the field much given the rest of the Jets WR's. That wouldn't be doghouse, it would just be putting your best guys out there. Davis seems to be headed into the doghouse at this point.

Axel3419 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Er, he was injured returning that interception and didn't play again. He hurt his knee. Depending upon the severity of the injury, he may not be able to play next week.

5. NCJetsfan

He got injured when he was tackled.

6. NCJetsfan

I was really puzzled by the Jets defense today. They knew that Miami was not going to run much. I don't understand why the Jets couldn't get more pressure on Tannehill and why they weren't doubling Landry, especially after one of the Dolphin WRs went out early with an injury.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I believe that you're mistaken about the long pass. I think Skrine had the coverage, and Davis was helping but got there late. There was no deep safety help.

8. NCJetsfan

Why not? The best teams do. They go for the jugular and close games out. They don't go into coast mode thinking they've got it made.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Cro had a good interception today but was jobbed by the refs.

10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's negative to point out issues. Truth is the defense is what won this game. It took a while for the offense to get going and Miami had a lot of opportunities to score early but the defense kept them off the board. Miami is not a very good team right now and the Jets did what they were supposed to do with a team like this.....crush 'em. I'm not concerned about the end of the game but Tannehill threw 57 times, and the Jets only sacked him 3 times. Didn't seem like the D front line was able to generate much pressure on him.

I think next week is going to be very similar. Giants don't have a very good running game, but they have Manning and Beckham. I expect Manning to fill the air with footballs against the Jets.

11. NCJetsfan

I agree with westiedog. You aren't being negative. Being negative is being ready to fire the HC 10 games into his rookie season and/or claiming that he has lost the locker room. No HC is perfect. They are going to make mistakes. We should make note of the mistakes and issues and see if they're isolated incidents where the HC learns from his mistake, or if they're repeated, or worse, part of a disturbing pattern of mistakes.

Yesterday was the first time all season that I've been able to see a Jets game. The only 2 times they've been on in this area, I was unable to see them due to work-related commitments.

Your point is spot on, and I'm sure that Bowles expects the team to not collapse at the end, but rather play a complete game and instead put their foot on their opponents' necks and close the game out. I think yesterday's game clearly highlighted the shortcomings on our D, if not our entire roster.

We have no real, consistent pass rush, because we've overdrafted on DL and ignored the critical LB positions. The only LB we have with speed is Demario Davis and he can't tackle and can't cover. He needs to find a seat on the bench if Bowles thinks he can improve, and if not, find a seat on another team's bench. Harris is a sound tackler and one of the better defenders we have, but is glacially slow and misses a lot of plays simply because he can't get to them. The same goes for Pace, and also for Coples. I was encouraged that Mauldin saw more playing time yesterday as did Erin Henderson (although he made some fairly big mistakes, and isn't that speedy himself), and Pace and Davis sat on the bench more. Who is the new LB? I had never heard of him before and must have missed the team's signing him.

We all know that Cro is a liability, and hopefully, he won't be back next season. Hopefully Williams' knee will heal quickly and he'll return to the starting lineup. I don't know what to think about Revis other than he has definitely slowed down. Pryor's awesome when he's on the field and Gilchrist is pretty good, but our DBs are not the strength that most of us thought they were prior to the season.

The Jets have to be able to cover better, but most importantly, they have to develop a pass rush without having to blitz all the time. Against the Dolphins yesterday, the Jets should have been able to pin their ears back and consistently pressure Tannehill, if not sack him around 10 times, and cause a lot more rushed, harried throws causing perhaps some additional interceptions, and more incompletions, but they couldn't. They simply don't have the speed or pass rushing ability on their roster, and that is critical for closing out games.

We all know it, but the other issue related to closing out games is having a great rushing attack where one can run the ball even when the opponent knows you're going to be able to run it. This is how one takes time off the clock and keeps the ball out of the opposing QB's hands. The Jets MUST upgrade their OL this off season and find at least another very good RB with speed and good hands that will be a change of pace from Ivory, or preferably an elite RB who will either be the starter or one who can equally share the load with Ivory.

LAJet likes this.
  12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

There should be no doubt within the organization that Wilkerson deserves a nice long term contract after this season.

BleedingGreen55 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I read last week that the Jets tried out four players but I never heard of any of them. Maybe it's one of those guys.

Couldn't agree more with this assessment. I don't think it's enough to have a "shut down the run" defense in this league. You shut down the run to take away one of your opponents offensive thrusts, but if you can't capitalize on it by making them pay for abandoning the run, then it's not worth a lot.

One small criticism of Bowles. Early in the game, the Jets had a 4th and about 2 feet and they ran a straight handoff to Ivory which failed miserably. You could see that Miami was expecting it and was all over it stopping Ivory before he got to the LOS. You have a QB that likes to stick his head in the mix and an all-pro center. What's wrong with a QB sneak in that situation? I know Gailey calls the plays but indirectly Bowles has to take the heat for that failure.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If there's an indictment of Bowles, it's that he settled on Chan Gailey as his OC. Chan just doesn't have a balanced mind or an adaptive mind for offense.

I don't know if he scripts situational drives, but it sure seems like it when defenses shift and we have no answer for an entire drive.

I have a lot more respect for Fitz since he's quick to kill stupid plays, but it usually ends up with Ivory running into a wall and fans calling Ivory a bad back.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think those 2 years Gailey spent away from football didn't do him any favors. It sometimes looks like he's playing catch up with the rest of the league's defenses. Certainly would explain the scripted starts and the furious 2nd halves. We may be better than 2014, but that's really not saying much.

16. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, Gailey is still the best OC we've had in a long while.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Gotta disagree with this one.

I don't think it was a bad decision to get Gailey as an OC. I think there are worse OCs out there for sure that have more talent but do much less. I don't think Fitzpatrick has the type of season he's having now, if he's in a completely different offense.
    For example, look at Kyle Shanahan, one of the highly regarded [and to add innovative] OCs during the off-season. Falcons offense is really struggling with Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and up and comer RB Freeman right now.

Chan better be back next year, and I hope he incorporates new wrinkles in the offense. He's def better than Schotty / Sparano. To an extent even MM [who didn't fit with the personnel at all].

LIJetsFan likes this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Scary just how awful Jet OC's have been historically. MM, Schotty, Sparano and now the cream of the crap in Gailey. Its all relative I suppose. Gailey may be the best OC this team has had in years, but that really isn't saying much.

19. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Gailey hasn't been awful.

Schotty and Sparano were awful indeed.

MM was more a victim of the personnel around him, but he annoyed me mainly in how he used Ivory and the running game.

20. NCJetsfan

True dat.