Week 9: Jets vs. Jaguars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Nov 1, 2015.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Geno has proven that he can not be trusted to hold onto the football.

One drive against the Raiders ended with a single snap when he threw yet another interception.

We are not good enough to win if we lose the turnover battle.

Geno Smith is not good enough to make up for his turnovers.

Petty has a blank slate and should be given the chance to prove himself while Geno Smith has earned his place in the dog house.

nyjrkm06 and FlaJet like this.
  2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Jets are 8 1/2 point favorites,I think it will be an easy win with the defense playing like they normally do only better

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Bortles has moments where he looks like he's "arrived", then here comes a "WTF?!?" pass.
    They have some young talented playmakers, the defense is still a bit suspect, but overall they should be doing better. Running game is meh....

They have managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory a few times. I'd 8.5 points is too high, but maybe after last weeks shitshow someone expects the defense to wake up angry.

Not too confident, but maybe I'm still suffering from PTSD after watching the METS last week.......

srains likes this.
  4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

How the fuck are we 8.5 point favorites

Vida, nyjrkm06, LIJetsFan and 4 others like this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Probably based on people betting on team reputations over reality. JETS should win, but I'd take the points.

FJF likes this.
  6. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

All true except we know what Geno brings (pain and suffering to majority of Jet fans). Petty is an unknown in real game time action. I don't think we will ruin him playing one or two games and who knows we just (fingers crossed) might find a quality QB running our team.

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

How the fuck are we 8.5 point favorites when we don't even have a guess at who our QB is?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

No sh*t! No respect for Jacksonville I suppose

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't play in the NFL, but am I a jerk for thinking Ryan Fitzpatrick AND Geno Smith should be ready to roll on Sunday? This is the NFL. They each are paid millions of dollars. There are only 16 games. If you have a hurt thumb on a non-throwing hand, you gotta find a way to play. If you have a badly bruised shoulder, you still need to find a way to give it a go. It's 3 hours a week.

Vida and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

The sky is falling ladies and gentleman.. Geno has ONE interception in 2015. Even though he threw 2 TD's (which technically would make up for his one turnover right?) ..

yall really just say anything to make Geno look bad as you can possibly make him look and it's getting old. Not even making sense with your arguements anymore.

11. JetLifeLo

Our defense. It wouldn't be smart to bet that our defense plays ANYTHING like it did last week.

12. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I don't know if the defense has been figured out but Bowles needs to do something to motivate this team and get this team back on track. The defense is the backbone of this team, we need them to step up.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Jags are terrible but 8 1/2 points is a bookies trap...a better line for the game is 6

After the first quarter I 'll know how many beers to swig to get through this one

The 4th qtr (play calls, defense, and time mngmt) will also be a mystery till it plays out

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I am sorry but I thought we lost that game.

I stand corrected, we all get a trophy.

All hail Geno Smith!

FlaJet likes this.
  15. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

http://thejetsblog.com/bga/bga-wes-johnsons-new-nightmare/#more-100354

Johnson returns and several people are saying he acquitted himself well, especially in light of the fact that they had only given up one sack until Geno Smith ran himself into two more late in the game. However, the running game was absolutely non-existent and the whole offensive gameplan had clearly been tweaked to account for the major downgrade at that position.

Johnson failed to hold up at the point of attack in the final preseason game, in a match-up with Eagles backup Beau Allen, so I didn’t feel good about his chances of matching up with Dan Williams and the other big linemen on the Raiders’ front. Apparently, the Jets felt the same way, as their plan specifically protected him from being exposed to one-on-one matchups.

In the running game, the plan was typically for Johnson to head directly to the second level and pick up the middle linebacker while the other four starters accounted for a defensive lineman each. The Jets often used to do something similar to this early on in Vladimir Ducasse’s career as they sought to get him reps. This perhaps made the Jets’ running game too predictable or put too much onus on the guards to sustain single blocks for longer. Either way, while it was successful in protecting Johnson from being overmatched too often, it wasn’t very successful in terms of actually generating rushing yardage.

In the passing game, they didn’t often ask him to single block anyone. He was either the spare man or would get help from one of the guards in squaring up his man before the guard was then released to help out the tackle on his side. Again, this worked a lot of the time, but the Raiders were able to exploit it at times to generate pressure.

To Johnson’s credit, he did hold up pretty well in this role and even had some positive impact blocks. However, it wasn’t exactly a flawless performance. Johnson whiffed badly on one run block and was stood up at the point of attack on a run that got stuffed. He also allowed a pressure on a stunt and the first sack came as James Carpenter whiffed on his initial block and then Johnson failed to pick his man up. He did make one aggressive second level block and also had a couple of nice blocks in the screen game, including one to spring a big gain for Jeremy Kerley late.

#95 LIJetsFan, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  16. JetLifeLo

how about no. I'm just saying you people are acting like Geno Smith went out there and put on the worst performance you've ever seen. When in all reality it's just the hate for him in your blood that's telling you he did something bad or it was all his fault. You said in your post that he threw an interception and didn't make up for it .. but he threw an interception and responded throwing almost perfectly in the 2nd through 3rd quarter and into the 4th against one of the best pass rushing teams in the NFL. Geno also threw for a 104.0 rating when being blitzed which was on 18 of his 47 drop backs.

Anyway my point is Geno played good and it's really sad that you and others are blaming Geno for that loss. Geno didn't miss 20 tackles. Geno wasn't in cromartie's jersey when he gave up 7/9 targets for damn near 200 yards and 2 TD's. IN ONE HALF. Geno wasn't responsible for getting off of blocks and tackling the RB. But none of those things matters in this loss. Only Geno's one interception that make you cringe in your sleep every night because it was GENO that threw it. Let me guess.. Fitz"magic" woulda won that game huh? bc he is yet to turn the ball over once this season and has been perfect to say the least right?

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

surely you realize people can think about more than one thing at a time. We all acknowledge the defense shat themselves all game. Nobody is here saying they played well. Everyone, including Bowles and Gailey are all getting their fair share of criticism on this board.

But how Geno Smith played vs. how the defense played are 2 separate conversations. Geno Smith played poorly. He did not play well. The defense played like dog shit too. Look- more than 1 thought at once. amazing

FlaJet and James Hasty like this.
  18. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I think our defense is embarrassed ... and pissed off after getting totally dominated by the Raiders. They are going to come out flying on Sunday. We've got to stop Yeldon and force Bortles to be a passer. Hopefully, that will yield some sacks and TOs.

With the exception of the Pats game, where they were absolutely destroyed, the Jags have defended the run pretty well this year, so we are going to have to make some plays in the passing game. Quarterback is certainly an issue, but I think injuries to our WRs are just as concerning. Marshall is gimpy, and Decker wasn't on the field for much of the last drive against the Raiders. If one or both of those guys can't go, this could be a close, grind it out type affair.

Jets win 16-13.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  19. JetLifeLo

Lol... i'm sorry i just don't see where he played "poorly". I know he wasnt spectacular but be honest..would Fitz have done much better? I see how he plays when the rushing game isn't going.

It can't be 2 seperate conversations because the lack of defense led to a change of plans on offense. They go hand n hand. Running was erased from the game plan which led to you alls worst night mare.. more geno passes.

20. nyjrkm06

nyjrkm06 Active Member

Ok, what about the fact that the idiot took two crucial sacks when he had ample time and was way out of the pocket and could of simply thrown the ball away