Playoff Picture Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Oct 25, 2015.

1. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Barring injuries & drastic changes in level of play, we'd likely be favored in at least 7 or 8 of the 10 remaining games. So if we win 5/7 that we're favored in, and 1 of 3 that we're underdogs in, that puts us at 10-6. It's a shame we couldn't play Dallas much sooner.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

OK, so it's OCTOBER, they're 4-2, have played 1 good team (and lost) and talk about playoffs even going 12-4 has started........ Good grief Charlie Brown :confused:o_O

At least it's good to see SundayJack was released from prison

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think the playoff talk stems from the fact that the 1 good team they've played is really the only one they face all year.

4. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Was having similar thoughts on the Dallas game. When Jets/Cowboys rolls around Dez & Romo are going to be back and the 'Boys will be fighting hard to maintain playoff hopes. One week before NE game, makes it a a really tough 2-game stretch for the Jets.

5. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

Pats will lose 3 games top. I can see them winning out as well. We need to lock up the 5th seed. Huge difference this year between the 5th and 6th seed. As the 5th will most likely get to play the colts instead of Denver/Bengals

6. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

Every game in the NFL is tough. No win is guaranteed. Each game presents a different challenge.

Raiders- traveling to the west coast is always difficult. This is a totally different raiders team then the NFL has got used to seeing. They have started to build their team the right way through the draft. Pass rusher-Mack, qb- Carr and gave him an elite reciever-Cooper. Through in a good runningback and the raiders are an up and coming team to look out for.

Jaguars- yes we should win this game but they aren't a terrible team. They just took down the Bills and have some offensive firepower.

Bills- this will be an emotional game for Rex and he's going to have his team pumped up. Yes again we are the better team but they have a lot of talent and Thursday night games are tough. But I always take the home team on Thursday night so I'm glad we aren't playing in Buffalo.

Texans- again we should definetly win this one.

Dolphins- Diviosion game, always tough. They look like they are playing the way a lot of people expected since philbin got fired. This will be a close game and Miami has beat us at home the past couple years I believe.

Giants- NY vs. NY not a gimmie game either.

Titans- Should win this one

Cowboys- they should have Dez and Romo back. Great game here on Sat. Night

Pats- We need to win this game going into the playoffs. Confidence and momentum booster

BleedGreen89 likes this.
  7. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I have to say - now that Al Davis is worm food I'm having a hard time hating the Raiders like I should and always have. It's such a confusing time for me. I feel like Caitlyn Jenner in the mens underthings department of Nordstrom. I remember with strange fondness all the things that used to cinch up my balls up ride up into my ass.

8. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

And after that stretch I done, my own brother picks me up from the joint in a cop car! I friggin' cop car!

9. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Well-Known Member

They have been the literal joke of the NFL for the last 13 years, so it's hard to dislike a team that's having marginal success after such long futility, even if it is the Raiders. It's harder to hate them with Al Davis gone. It's like the Lions and the Browns; if you hate them, you're kind of heartless.

They are an exciting young team with Carr and Cooper, who looks like he could be the best receiver in the league in a year or two. Also, I'm only 21 and the Raiders were never really relevant in my lifetime aside from early childhood, so I have no reason to care about them.

10. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Sad that a 7-9, division winning, team not only makes the playoffs; but gets to host the first (wildcard) playoff game too. The league should nix divisions and just have the two conferences. Maybe, we would finally get to host a playoff game again.

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

. This was a bargain, its an old Mount Prospect police car.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Raider hate may be gone for me, but it still perplexes me how we continue to play them almost every year as if they were a division rival.

If no one does it first, I'll look up our matchups for the past 20 years and post them here tomorrow... the frequency defies imagination for anyone that buys the idea that NFL schedules are purely formulaic.

14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Because you probably have better things to do, and I don't, I looked into this. Going back to 1995 (21 seasons) the Jets have played the Raiders on 16 occasions. This includes a stretch of five straight seasons (1999-2003) when we played at Oakland.

For comparison purposes, I looked at games against Denver as well. Over the same period we have played the Broncos nine times, never more than two seasons in a row (against the Raiders we've had runs of three, five and three consecutive seasons). We are currently in a three-season stretch that may well be extended next year.

It does seem out of whack. Since the divisions were altered and the AFC East went from five to four teams, there are obviously two more non-divisional games to find, but it still looks like the Oakland-Jets game is being pushed (for historical reasons?).

I would compare these figures with other AFC teams, but I do have better things to do than that, so somebody else will need to step in there...

The full details:
    2015 - @ Oakland
    2014 – Oakland, Denver
    2013 - Oakland
    2011 - @ Oakland, @ Denver
    2010 @ Denver
    2009 - @ Oakland
    2008 - @ Oakland, Denver
    2006 - Oakland
    2005 - Oakland, @ Denver
    2003 - @ Oakland
    2002 - @ Oakland, Denver
    2001 - @ Oakland
    2000 - @ Oakland, Denver
    1999 - @ Oakland, @ Denver
    1997 - Oakland
    1996 - Oakland, @ Denver
    1995 - Oakland

15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thanks. So last 20 years, we played these guys every year except 1998, 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2012. This is crazy really.

16. IdahoJet

IdahoJet Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we play the same ranked team from the AFC South? Which has been the Titans the last few years and also why the Pats always play Indy, is the the same setup for the AFC West? Which if so, dosnt look good when you play the Raiders that much...

Big Cat, JetsVilma28 and FJF like this.
  17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yes you are correct. You play the two teams in your conference where you line up in division. so this year would be the raiders and Browns since we play the AFC south.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

prior to set scheduling there may have been some push towards Raiders - Jets from the schedule makers but once they set the template for future schedules from now until eternity (not sure what year they did that- early 2000s) its just been a case of chance. In the years we aren't scheduled to play them anyway (the AFC East vs. West) we are ending up in the same spot in the standings. pure chance.

It seems as though that is happening a lot with Tennessee too. We've been playing them a whole hell of a lot the last decade.

edit- tennessee is just as bad

2015 - Ten
    2014- @ Ten
    2013 - @ Ten
    2012 - @ Ten
    2009- Ten
    2008 - @ Ten
    2007- @ Ten
    2006 -@ Ten
    2003 - Ten

Since 2000- 15 seasons and we've played them 9 times, 6 on the road. 4 seasons in a row

#78 BrowningNagle, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So we know that its chance that we have been playing the raiders so often, but why such a drastic difference between home games and road games?

20. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

9-7 : away-home .... we are do a home game in the next match-up