Week 7: New York Jets vs New England Patriots thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The 1985er, Oct 18, 2015.

1. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

LaFell is very likely to be activated off of the PUP and play his first game this season (our #2 receiver last season) for this game, he's the type of WR Revis will gladly match up with all day.

Edelman CAN be the type that Revis has "struggled" with (using that term loosely, too, Revis is still the best in the NFL). Keyshawn Martin is becoming more comfortable in the offense and Amendola had his first big game of the season against the Colts. Patriots have a lot of weapons for this game but the Jets probably have the most pieces in the league to matchup with those guys.

I'm betting NE does everything they can to scheme up their quickers guys against the Jets Linebackers and try to avoid the corners, forcing missed tackles will be our key.

NE's OL has also suffered losses to the starting LT and backup LT, forcing our top tier RT to switch to LT and play out of position and last years rookie taking over at RT. Not favorable. NE's interior has been surprisingly good, though. Your edge rushers SHOULD have more success than your interior guys.

Defensively I think NE is better than given credit for but still not a world beating defense.

They're tied for 3rd in sacks (19 in 5 games) despite playing one less game than most of the league. The pass rush may be weakened though by the potential loss of Jabaal Sheard, who has been a stud pickup from the offseason, 4 sacks in 4.5 games (Behind only C. Jones with 5.5 in 5), leads the team in pressures too, I believe. He exited in the first half vs Indy and didn't return, he claimed he was OK though.

Hightower is also preparing as if he'll play, I believe, he's one of the better LB's in the NFL and missed last weeks game due to a rib injury. His replacements last week played a large part in the Colts success on the ground (as did a Luck scramble for 25 yards, that's more of a scheme breakdown and not a true run defense issue, imo). Freeney is a trash LB and Mayo is a shell of his former self after missing 20 games the past 2 seasons.

The secondary is where you'll find the Patriots' weakest, the Safeties are solid and Butler has been good despite his number, but he's still a 2nd year undrafted guy. He's no Revis. After Butler though is a gigantic dropoff. Any of the other corners are rather easily exposed in coverage. That's where I'd attack.

Might add more later, running late to work.

SonofDinger likes this.
  2. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

A third corner is a "huge" loss? No. A huge loss would be Ivory, Mangold, Revis. For the cheaters, a huge loss would be Brady. Everyone else is replaceable on that team.

3. Burning Elvii

Burning Elvii Well-Known Member

Brady is replaceable ....... He's just manufactured robot with helmet mics

4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Random musing: I always felt Shula underachieved with Marino.

BigGreenUgly likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think Butler sucks. He makes one big play in the SB protected by having Revis and Browner out there and now he's supposed to be able to handle the whole load? I think that's a big mismatch for the Jets to hopefully take advantage of: Marshall over Butler (if they even decide to match them up. They might just run zone)

That D coordinator the caveman NE has is pretty good IMO. He's a good big picture Coordinator. He knows he has Brady on the other side so giving up yardage and even some points isn't that big of deal so long as they give Brady a chance and come up big on 3rd downs and the red zone.

That Jamie Collins is a legitimate player though on that defense I'll admit that. he's good

I wonder if the injuries on the O-line in NE have anything to do with Belichick's supposedly "genius" O-line rotation which I would love to see blow up in their faces sunday.

BigSnacks54 and dawinner127 like this.
  6. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

While you're here what's the game plan this week? Stealing signals, taping our walk throughs, deflating footballs, illegal formations, headset problems, or perhaps something new like hijacking the team bus on the way to the stadium?

Burning Elvii likes this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If New England can't stop the run with 7 in the box then goodluck later in the game because butler can't cover Marshall 1v1. If they have to slide that 8th man into the box Marshall and decker will have a field day with those JAGs in the secondary. If we live in third and shorts all game I can see us winning this one. Like another poster said, the jets HAVE to score touchdowns. None of this FG SHIT

8. EmbraceTheHate

EmbraceTheHate Active Member

When that "third corner" is a slot corner and most likely to be on Edelman, then yes, it would be a huge loss. Should I teach you anything else about your team?

LAJet likes this.
  9. EmbraceTheHate

Hopefully all of the above... and maybe we'll have a coach trip a player or two from the sidelines if the timing is right.

10. BrowningNagle

Alosi was coaching for the wrong team. For the Jets that act gets you publicly shamed and causes dismissal from your position and the league.

In NE they would've denied his intent and internally that act would've gotten him a raise, a promotion and the respect of his colleagues

11. DoubleDecker87

Players like that are hard to find.. you guys should use your first round pick on one this year. You do have a first round pick this year, right?

edit - just researched and for some reason there are only 31 picks in this years first round. Can someone here tell me why 1 of the 32 teams lost their first round pick?

12. EmbraceTheHate

The league suspended Alosi, not the Jets.

Yes, yes... now I remember. The Jets have a zero tolerance policy on anything cheating or otherwise improper upstanding behavior. Like how Feely wasn't cut in 2009. Or when Favre admitted the team tampered with injury reports. I must have missed Sheldon getting cut by team. Or Enunwa. Etc. etc.

Yawn. Every team cheats. Patriots, like most other things on a football field, just do it better.

13. EmbraceTheHate

Because the Patriots was taken away for allegedly deflating footballs improperly in a sham investigation that was proven as such in a judicial court, once someone without "skin in the game" took a look at the facts. As an owner, Kraft had no recourse but to go full-out Al Davis, which was never going to happen.

Oh, you were being sarcastic? Nevermind then...

That lost pick in '08 really derailed the GOAT coach/QB combo.

14. BrowningNagle

what a fuckin idiot you are. nothing in this random bunch of bullshit makes any sense. Jets will probably lose sunday but you'll still be the loser that sides with the cheaters. At least until Brady retires then you'll hitch onto the next bandwagon

15. DoubleDecker87

The only team to continuously get caught does it better? It has to suck to have such a successful franchise have an * with every championship.

16. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Fuck off, you just learned who Buster Skrine was this week, just like you joined this board. Further, I love how you think that Skrine is automatically going to cover Edleman, as if we're automatically going to play man. You don't your ass from a hole in the ground. Nobody gives a shit about Edleman. He's a replaceable player. As a big time patriots fan i would hope YOU know that, or do you want me to teach you about YOUR team. The Patriots are built on one player.

Kerley Shuffle likes this.
  17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i think the times they've been caught are just the tip of the iceberg with their 'gamesmanship' (cheating)..

agreed on the *
    it's been going on for years

18. BrowningNagle

edleman be working at the snack bar if it wasn't for Brady.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  19. EmbraceTheHate

Honestly? It doesn't. Not even a little. Like, zip. So much fun winning playoffs/Super Bowls/having parades. One of the best parts is being so dominant that you are literally inside other team's heads. Like, what Pagano did last Sunday night. Or, when other coaches focus more on headsets than preparation. Or, in being so good, that everyone has to try and tear you down... if I were a GM/coach of another team, I sure as hell would - how can you justify your job performance when another team is running circles around you? You throw the kitchen sink against the wall and hope something sticks.

20. EmbraceTheHate

I bleed Patriots/Red Sox/Celtics/Bruins... good or bad. My teen years (the '80s) were rough, aside from '85-'86 and the Celtics. The '90s were worse. The last 10 years? Paradise.