Week 6: Washington Redskins at New York Jets Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Oct 5, 2015.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

My crew neck sweater from 1992 is due in tomorrow. Gonna need it for the parking lot; weather looks like it's gonna be in the 50s all day.

Thank you Esty!

2. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Punch the Skins in the mouth early and Kirk Cousins wont stand a chance against the pass rush and secondary. long as Fitz keeps the turnovers at or below 2 we'll be fine

3. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Should pressure Cousins to the point where Gruden feels the need to bring in RG3 :D .

4. audible_red40

audible_red40 New Member

Gang Green, good day all.

My perspective of my Beloved Skins, coming into this game.

The offense is nothing special right now:

Losing our TE N.Paul in preseason and J.Reed being hurt (again) hurts this type of offense. Reed is not practicing again today. Very good and athletic, and great on 3rd downs.
    Not having DeSean in our offense has killed any "big play" potential. He is practicing today and I expect him to suit up on Sunday. Could finally help opening up the field.
    Our running game is our strength, and was totally shut down last week. Very impressed with how the Falcons played. But basically no real threat on the outside or TE, so it's easier to do that.
    Contrary to PFF stats and belief our O-line has played solid. The skins, sustain long drives, but stutter in the Redzone. Surprising well on 3rd down and don't give up many sacks.
    Cousins has had plenty of open receivers but has been throwing behind guys all year.
    This team will keep pounding away. They have played some decent defensive fronts: Dolphins, Rams, Eagles, Giants and Falcons. Miami is not all that apparently.
    Make no mistake about it, this is a ball control type team. Simple plays, convert 3rd down and keep the other team off the field.

On defense:

Don't sleep on CB B,Breeland. He's a physical corner who does have bad plays and games, but is looking to be a great pick. Shut down Dez last year 1 on 1. Played very well the last 2 weeks, and held Atlanta to 4 receptions on 12 targets for 39 yards, and an INT.
    Our strength is our front 7. Nowhere near the Jets talent, but we are solid. Surprisingly, the Falcons gashed our run "D" last week. But damn Devonta Freeman is a beast. Not sure if was scheme to eliminate the pass and big plays, but generally stopping the run is where it starts.
    You online is playing well, we do generate pressure with our 3 down and sending one or two more. Various packages, but all include R.Kerrigan who is our biggest threat. Our most consistent players on "D" this year have actually been C.Baker (unknown around the NFL) and J.Hatcher.
    Another weakness seems to be covering TE's.
    Having said that, the stats will show we're pretty good at stopping the pass, but it's more scheme then talent. You'll see a lot of cover 3.

Special teams:

Stats will show we're playing well. Our new kicker has a cannon for a leg. Expect touchbacks and can kick a long field goal, except he's untested, being a rookie.

All in all, this team takes too many penalties and it comes back to bite them in the ass. Cousins is playing well, and not saying much, but he reminds me of Fitazpatrick, but has a higher ceiling. Cousins does tend to throw behind receivers, especially when targeting 15+ yards down the field. We truly need D.Jackson and J.Reed healthy or this team doesn't scare anyone offensively.

This team is younger and being built by a real GM. At 2-3 many will say same old Redskins, but this team hits hard and comes to play. We're still a year or 2 away.

prediction:

Jets: 16
    Redskins: 13

5. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the fact that Washington is 2-16 on the road since 2013 and Cousins has lost his last six consecutive road starts play into that inflated line.

Obviously, as a Jets fan, this worries me.

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Good day to you as well. I hope you can post more as the game gets closer especially about the Redskins injuries. I hope your prediction is right. I have always liked Redskins since my soccer team shares same colors as Redskins. I hope you guys lose this Sunday but win rest of your games. Cheers.

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

It's gone up to -6. I'm eager to see where the late money goes Friday/Sat.

Historically it's just not a good bet taking us at home giving points in games we should win and cover. I.e. Filthy in week 3

8. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

welcome, and thanks for the insight!

Two things that surprise me the most about the skins is how well the O-line was playing after the preseason debacle and how little Cousins is throwing it deep these days. Watching him in years prior, I would have assumed he'd be a big time gunslinger if he ever had to start, but I guess Gruden keeps him from doing that these days.

I agree that you're offense is a bit toothless without Reed and D-Jax despite your quality RB's. it looks like the team is stabilizing a bit though as it moves forward from any RG3 drama. You guys have a decent amount of above average talent but its gonna take a while for it all to come together. Its an evaluative year for sure, especially at QB, Kirk may only ever be a stopgap/backup kind of guy but theres a lot of value in having somebody like that.

unfortunately for your team this is looking like a loss for the road side. If your run D is any kind of vulnerable, well have we got an unpleasant surprise for you wearing #33… Also, I cant see Cousins, Garcon and company getting the better of this D-line and secondary. It'll take some serious forced errors from Fitzpatrick to put this in any kind of favor for WAS. Can your Secondary stop Decker and Marshall? if not…

WAS- 13
    NYJ- 23

9. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

10. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

11. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

So stupid. How can an NFL coach not see how bad of a returner that guy is? Hes a friggin RB that isnt quick or fast for a returner.

12. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Owusu isn't back to normal yet, or is becoming more of a designated WR.

Either way, it means more mediocrity at Special Teams. Don't have the talent to be anything more than at par, except for Folk I guess.

13. DaBallhawk

We don't really have any other option at this point. Powell and Stacy are the only guys really and Powell is banged up. The rest of the returners have been let go, Owusu is injured. They kind of botched this situation. ST will be a non factor the entire season.

14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I agree regarding ST. It's really an area that's going to hurt us all season when it comes to starting field position (P, KR).

15. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Cro ? Long in the tooth I guess for that kind of work........but.......... maybe???

16. DaBallhawk

Forgot all about him. He was great with the Chargers but even then they only put him back there when they really needed a bigplay late in the game. He did have a 109yd return, I think it's still the longest return of all time. That one was amazing, saw it live. Bowles probably doesn't want to put him back there now. Maybe in the 4th quarter if we're down but not full time.

17. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Well, he did do it for the Jets too, with some success. If I recall, one of the playoff games he set up our winning field goal with a 50+ return. Indy maybe? Regardless, I agree, he's not ideal, but better than Stacy me thinks.

18. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

On defense, we need to ensure we gang tackle and watch out for Jamison Crowder. Check down charlie (Jerk Cousins) is very similar to Fitz in that his coach is coddling him with pass after pass to the flats. They call it "West Coast." I call it not being man enough to admit Kirk isn't the savior from Rgknee you thought he was. Either way, we need to fly to the ball. Skrine's been pretty good with that thus far. They'll be running quick routes, throws to the flats, bubble screens etc to get Crowder in space. Revis needs to be on Garcon. He's the guy who bails them out on 3rd down. I'm hoping they go with Morris over Jones because Morris is as basic as corn flakes. As long as you maintain your gaps, he isn't going to wow you. Jones is far more explosive. Thompson is their 3rd down guy. Up the middle on the line, we should have some success than against the tackles. Trent Williams is a probowler and Moses has been a surprise. Lichtensteiger was a disappointment last week and I think our guys can take advantage of him and Long as well as make the rookie work. Make Kirk have to beat you with his arm. He's a robot. From the snap, he has in his mind what all his progressions are and he goes through them, but when something occurs that he didn't pre-plan for, he gets all out of wack. Bowles needs to disguise what he's doing. Show blitz from one side and send form the other like Rex used to. Make him think.

On offense, we need to not turn over the ball. They have tons of injuries in their secondary but Breland is one of their bright spots. Kid comes up with big plays from time to time. He was really up for the challenge vs Julio Jones. This is a game where it would be nice to have a shifty scat back to make their linebackers have to cover. Their linebackers are strong but guys like Kerrigan whiff on tackles in the backfield and open space because they aren't the quickest. Mangold and co need to have a good game because Baker has been very disruptive. Out RBs NEED TO HOLD ON TO THE BALL. Baker tries to strip every chance he gets now.

As long as we play solid defense, take advantage of what we're given and don't turn the ball over, I think this should be a win. We don't need anything special out of anyone this game. Just do your job.!

Brook!, 74 and dawinner127 like this.
  19. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Bring in Mike Westhoff as a short term adviser to hopefully get ST out of the shitter.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I venture to say he knows exactly what he is or is not getting from Stacy. More than likely he is constrained to the point that he has no other choice.