Bye Week Analysis: Studs and Duds

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsruby, Oct 9, 2015.

1. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I like the Skrine pick up immediately but figured he's just be kind of an upgrade but he's been even better than I imagined. Same goes for Marshall. I knew he would be good but he's exceeded my expectation.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing about Cro is that he's always been a gambler with poor technique, including the worst open-field tackling skills on a RB I've ever seen, who made up for it with size, speed and quickness while the ball was in the air.

He's a collection of spiky tendencies that balance out. As he ages he's just going to be bad because the physical abilities are going to decline and he has no technique to fall back on. This year we've already seen the good and the bad through week 4 and we haven't faced an actually good offense yet.

3. Br4d

The Jets have Skrine cheap this year at $2.75M against the cap. He's at $7.25M next year as a slot CB and that would really hurt in most situations.

The Jets will cut Cro and use Marcus Williams in his place and it will all work out for awhile.

almbleamal and deerow84 like this.
  4. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

6-7 mil. is nothing for a young corner who does so many things well, he makes this defense work. He's arguably more important than the "starter" (Cro) here so I wouldn't put too much stock into that. I think he'll play out his contract unless his play really falls off the next few years which I doubt, he's just too skilled and too hard of a worker and he fits this defense perfectly well. Plus his cap number is more than managable the longer he sticks around (7 mil. the next 3 years and he's only 26 so he hasn't even hit his prime yet). Gilly I think has the same contract, his salary goes up next year as well but he's another guy that we need to keep around. Cro is another story, I think he's gone unless he takes a paycut.

TNJet likes this.
  5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Like what you did here--for me, David Harris has exceeded my expectations enough to be included in the pleasantly surprised category. I might include Owusu and Reilly based on their first 2 games too.

As for sucking up the place, gotta go with Quigley for punts--seems to have handled snaps well though.

6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

He's been late to get himself set on several occasions--no excuse for this. That he's better than 24 Adams last year means little to me.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Wonder if Coples would do better at TE?

Footballgod214 and JetsfanHBca like this.
  8. Br4d

Next year the Jets starting DB's, including Skrine as a starter at nickel, count $46.7M against the cap. Something has to give or the idea of retaining either of the FA DL guys is going to go right out the door. The other DB's, including Milliner, McDougle, Williams and Bailey count $6M against the cap. Allen, Jarrett and Walls are FA's.

Even assuming the Jets are willing to cut Cro AND Milliner they have more than $40M allocated in the defensive backfield, which is going to be just under thirty percent of the cap.

This year the DB's account for about that amount and the Jets have 2 defensive linemen playing for substantially less than they will cost next year in Mo and Snacks. There's a lot of creep upwards elsewhere in the cap also, with a few declines that don't match up well.

Chris Ivory is a free agent.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  9. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

To be honest I haven't been the the biggest fan of Cro either but all the hate has caused me to re-evaluate him and he isn't all that bad. Sure he is a gambler and isn't always in the right position they way Revis is but the man has and will make some incredible plays. Boom or bust all or nothing call it what you will he goes for it. I'll agree so far he hasn't been as good as he has in the past but the season is still young and Cro was a little banged up. He might still come around. One thing is for sure he is not the garbage several of you are making him out to be. He has been doing something right because been to the pro bowl the past 3 year. Alternate or not that's not an easy feat. We would have loved him in our secondary last year. Granted he is over paid and might be cut next year but right now I am glad to have him on our team. 2nd, 3rd or 4th corner where ever he ends up it doesn't matter he will contribute.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

How about a little credit to Fitz? Of course I am not saying he is the world beater that he simply isn't.

Think - about when did you have the kind of peace of mind from QB position during the past half a decade?

I mean, seriously? Sanchez? or GeNO? At least we now know Fitz won't throw 3 straight picks deep in his own territory. We all know what he can do, and can't do - but we also know he won't be doing anything dumb or stupid. Isn't that just what we all so prayed in the past?

#30 Zach, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    ajax and TNJet like this.
  11. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

A decent pass rusher is not going to be given away for a 6th. I would just keep him for the rest of his contract if that's the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I think we were being harsh on Cro because of his camp performance and getting burned in the first game looked like more of 2013 all over again. But since then outside of the TD vs the colts he's been all over everthing. If he keeps it up we'll be tough to run or pass on.

I need Mauldin to step up.. he's young i know but i feel like he's not even on the field when he really is... he disappears often.

Kerley and Coples are just misfits pretty much.. not bad players.

Devin Smith actually looks pretty good out there to me.. teams are definitely paying attention to him. unfortunately he won't benefit much as a deep threat/decoy with Fitzpatrick because he lacks arm strength. Even on short routes it seems like Devin Smith is moving way too fast for Fitz they gotta get their chemistry better, good thing we have a bye week.

13. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

You are right, I drink less alcohol during Jets games. Thanks, Fitzy.

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I haven't been impressed with Devin at all, hopefully Fitz and Devin can get on the same page.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Ed Reed was squawking about still being ready to play on Inside the NFL show.

He shoulda left on a high note.
    The Jets are rarely that.

16. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Wow. Those gray patches in his hair and beard are a pretty good sign that he's done with football. He's delusional, he needs to stop begging for a job and realize it's over for him.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The big question is what the Jets do with Snacks. If he commands a high $$$, he's gone and the Jets shouldn't break the bank for a 2 down player.

Patriots were able to move on from Wilfork [who at this age, still effective but not Snacks], by using more 4 man fronts. Jets can then look through the draft to find a big NT that can help out on 3 downs instead of 2.

18. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

Not sure how much money Snacks would get on the Open market he was a restricted free agent this year & we were able to tender him for like 2.4 Mil. I was surprised he didn't get any attention from other team. Could see us paying him 4-6 Mil per yr he is defiantly worth it but we are going to be in cap hell next year. Even after the NFL raises the cap we will have to make some tough decisions and might need to cut or restructure guys like Coples (7.75Mil), Cro (8Mil) and Brick (14.1Mil). But thats something to worry about next year for now its X's & O's not $

19. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Coples and Cro will likely be gone, so that would free up cap. D'brick should restructure, hopefully. Kerley may also get traded, freeing up more cap room.

I think we'll be okay. Not necessarily in great shape, but good enough.

20. Br4d

The Jets have 9 players who have a combined cap number of $89M for 2016. That's Revis, Ferguson, Marshall, Mangold, Decker, Cromartie, Coples, Skrine and Harris. $89M.

Then they have 9 more players who count $37M against the cap. That's Gilchrist, Carpenter, Giacomini, Leonard Williams, Milliner, Folk, Richardson, Kerley and Pryor.

So the top 18 players on the team are counting $126M against what should be a $147-ish million cap. The players they have under contract for next year are already counting $141M against the cap.

Now add to that Mo, Snacks, and our draft and we're really hurting against the cap next year unless you assume that Cro and Coples are gone. Kerley is definitely gone.

To franchise Mo the Jets will have to cut Cro and Coples. There's almost no way around that given the way things are structured right now. They could restructure a few guys and push their money out into 2017 but not as much as you think, unless they're willing to have guys like Mangold and D'Brick on the cap past retirement. Even then there's not a lot they could push out that way. It's not like those guys are making enough to cover the $16M Mo is going to get under the tag and the Jets are hard up against the cap already anyway.