Trap game vs Redskins?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjets2sb, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Umm... isn't that the very definition of a trap game?

2. BigJenks

BigJenks Active Member

We're going to give Dirk Dozens nightmares.

3. max

max Active Member

We've played the pats tight 4 games in a row now and we are a much better team than the past 2 years. I think we can sweep, but get the win against the skins 1st.

4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Eh, I think that Philly loss did us some good. We came out hungry in London. If we come out hungry against Washington, we get to eat for the whole week . . . and then some.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't believe there are any "Trap" games this season. The team still has a number of holes, rookies, and things to improve on. They've done very well so far and exceeded most people's expectations, but they aren't a guaranteed playoff team. They had some key players out vs the Eagles, and Fitz had a bad day at the office. I think talking about "trap" games at this point is premature and silly.

6. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Geezus.

Let's hope we don't hear a "We want Brady" chant at MetLife this weekend like the meathead Bills fans.

You sound s bit like them. We ain't sweeping the Pats. If we split, I'd be thrilled and would really start believing in Bowles and crew.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm going to rip my hair out if we have another head coach that makes it a habit of losing after bye weeks... I don't think it'll happen with Bowles.

Washington is a shitty matchup for us though. The shut down the run pretty well. I'm think it's going to be an ugly 19-12 game with a ton of field goals.

8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Not a trap game, but a game where we might fall into a trap.

9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

One time I overheard a guy complaining about being stopped by the cops.

"Cop said I was loitering, but I was just standing on the corner doing nothing."

True story.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Unless they're huge underdogs every game is a trap game for the Jets as far as I'm concerned. The only games that won't be trap games this year are the Pats and Bills x2, maybe the Giants as well. The Jets should be favored in every other game unless the Cowboys are healthy again by week 15.

11. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

This ^. After seeing how poorly they played after bye weeks under Rex, if they can come out prepared and take this W I think it will say a lot about how much Bowles has changed the attitude of this team. If they come out flat after two weeks of preparation my confidence in this new coaching staff is going to to drop a notch. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

12. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

People on here need to take a better look at the Redskins. They do stop the run. So that no good if Fitz has to win this game we all saw the Philly game when we couldn't run the ball.

#32 Geno007, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    LWC611 and heartpumpsgreen like this.
  13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

"Trap" implies lack of preparation. I don't think this will be the case with Bowles.

Loss to PHI was simple on the field mechanics: no Ivory and Decker = one dimensional offense = easy to defend.

irishwhip03 likes this.
  14. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Unlike the Eagles game though, the Jets should have Ivory and Decker. Ivory is a much better player than Powell is, and Decker gives the Jets a better WR to throw to when Marshall is double covered.

15. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

The thing is that fans get so silly. I saw so many false start, silly, delusional Jets fans on social media and on here too simply giving ourselves a W the week leading up to the Philly game. Pure foolishness. Arrogant foolishness.

No game should ever be chalked up as a W. That's nonsense. While the Jets should be FAVORED to beat Wash that means jack shit at the end of the day. In a parity driven league any team could beat any team on any given Sunday these days more so than ever. I'm already starting to cringe at how many ppl on here are just assuming the W. FOH ... respect Wash they got some players. Without a goal line fumble by Matt Jones would have given the GMen a ball game. Good running game which Jets have shown some early rust in defending. Very solid defense. I don't look at this as an easy Jets wins and if any of you fans do you better wake up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Respectfully disagree. On the pro level, coaches aren't getting trapped. Even rich kotite (and Rex) are CONSTANTLY warning their players before games v "weak" opponents not to take them lightly. It's the absolute least a coach can do, and anyone capable of carrying a whistle around his neck knows this, even in high school.

What happens is that individual players simply fail to focus and muster proper concentration. it's not laziness. It's subconscious hubris combined with distraction about the bigger game to come. And that's the trap.

Don't get me wrong. If enough players are getting trapped, this is surely due to an overall culture problem with the team, and that IS of course the staff's problem. That is the coaches' fault. No question.

But it's not happening on a week-to-week basis because the coaches fall asleep. That's absurd. Doesn't happen at the NFL level.

abyzmul likes this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree with this for the most part, but there are always outliers...

[​IMG]

The Bills game in Detroit is all the proof you need.

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

"Trap games" are like NFL fan fiction made up to justify why ones team was beat.

19. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

That's the thing, man. Players tend to overlook "easy" opponents and its on coaches to not let this happen. Coaches like Rex can't keeps players in line, but IMO a coach like Bowles will.
    My point is that Bowles doesn't strike me as a guy who will let his players relax, but we will see in a couple of weeks.

20. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Is every game going to be a trap game because we are favored. Some people thought Miami was a trap game. I was only worried about how the team dealt with the change of venue.