Coples stinks as LB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Aug 22, 2015.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Not necessarily Coples fault but at this stage, he's pointless. For all the hand-wringing about wasting a 1st rounder on Kyle Wilson, I think we've had more production from the frozen-necked CB than we've had from Coples.

He's a goner.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Maybe Maudlin gets the start at linebacker over Coples after the BYE?

3. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

I think the lack of snaps was more scheme related. I don't have the numbers but it looked like we played out of the 4-3 / nickel most of the time with Douzable taking over at DE. In the 3-4 it was the same as usual with Pace & Coples.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And Wilson will beat him out the door...oh wait

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah, I did see more 4 man fronts yesterday. His snaps have decreased though each week. He was on the field plenty of times in Week 1, but since then it's decreased each game. You see him less and less as the season goes on. Douzable has been really solid and has prob eaten into Coples D-line snaps too.

Hitsomeone likes this.
  6. DaBallhawk

Still hoping Mauldin takes over at LB, preferrably for Pace but either would be fine at this point IMO. There's just no upside in having two slow run stoppers at OLB setting the edge. We need somebody who at any given snap can be sent after the QB otherwise it's too predictable because offenses really don't have to worry about Pace or Coples rushing their QB, they just don't have the quickness off the edge to be a real threat.

7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Rather see Reilly and Mauldin blitz from the outside edge

Red Menace likes this.
  8. DaBallhawk

Bowles commented on Coples during the presser. Said Coples played in the base defense like he usually does but since Miami was in sub packages all the time Coples just didn't get as many snaps unfortunately. Said it wasn't performance related.

9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Tongue In cheek

10. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Under contract next year

Williams
    Wilkerson (tag)
    Richardson
    Coples

Harris
    Mauldin
    (Find OLB)

Not under contract next year
    Damon Harrison
    Demario Davis

For Coples sake there couldn't be a better time for a full on switch to a 4-3. Rotating players is great and all and sure a 3-4 every once in a while is nice but 4 first rounders on the base DL each in a natural position is scary. Don't see anyway Big Dame is brought back with Mo Wilks situation and we most likely won't be able to afford what he deserves anyway. Could keep Barnes and rock the 3-4 here and there.

All a moot point though. Still haven't seen our DL with Sheldon, Coples may get cut even though we just picked up his option, Mo Wilk could get traded who knows, maybe Coples will be back at DE even without a 4-3 switch.

Having said all that. Coples sucks at LB and I feel bad for him. His first round talent has yet to be used. He should have never been a Linebacker to begin with.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Can not stop from wondering . Why oh why was Coples even drafted by the Jets? Was it Rex or Tanny or Bradway? What were they thinking? It was a classic case of a luxury pick on a team that had so many other needs. We needed WR, QB, an OLB, and we still do, Coples is not it. His skill set was a total duplication of our very strength, so we manage to put him instead in a position that is not well suited for. First round is the golden opportunity to capture an area of dire need with the pick.

12. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

I agree but if that was case Williams would be on the Bears right now (which at first and I openly have admitted I hated the pick) I'm very happy he's with us. It made more sense "need" wise to go with Coples than it did Williams. The problem with Coples was us drafting a 290 pound guy and asking him to play OLB. I fault them more for asking him to play OLB than I do picking him.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree with your premise, but there is a subtle difference. It is mind boggling why he was not used in his natural position, but if the intent from day one was to convert him to a LB then the pick was absolutely flawed. Another Rex move.
    Williams was drafted to play in his natural position, and was selected strategically since Mo negotiations were stalling and Sheldon fuck up was know to the FO. Major insurance going forward. Not to mention he was hands down best player non QB in the draft.
    Now Coples is between a rock and a hard spot. He is out of position and the DL is stacked.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It definitely was not best player available, some good players were taken after him, it was probably a Rex influenced pick, but then again, the whole scouting department was spiraling downward.

zace and LAJet like this.
  15. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

what coples has done is almost unprecedented and it kinda bothers me the hate he gets from this fan base. this dude was maybe the best defensive player in football his junior year at UNC where he was mainly a 3-tech and played DT. he stayed for his senior year (which he didn't need to do, he was a top 5 pick and UNC was in shambles as a program) and he was asked to switch to DE, where he still performed well. now he is being asked to play OLB and i think he's done a decent job at it. he might not rack up sacks, but a pressure is still critical for a defense

ultimately i feel like coples is a player that people expect to stuff the stat sheet, but he's the exact opposite. he's a guy that does his job well and is extremely versatile and every defense would like to have a guy like him

chandler and Jets4eva9011 like this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It may be time to part ways with Coples. He's just not what we need right now at LB and there's no room for him on the DLine. If we could trade him for a low round DP, I'd do it in a NY minute. Wasted pick as long as we try to create a XL LB. That was a Ryan wet dream that just didn't come to fruition. Time to move on.

Maybe we could dupe Rex into a trade. I'd take a 5th or 6th. Rex would get another chance to show us how smart he is in personnel eval.

17. Hitsomeone

Hitsomeone Active Member

Douzable is so underrated. IMO.

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I think the move coincided with the advent of Snacks, it was right at the time in which Snacks started to take the next step up. Then the Sheldon pick on top of it. And we had Ellis still to boot
    So Rex moved Q outside to utilize everybody.

I think Q was a Rex pick and Sheldon was an Idzik pick.

Mac and TB said many times after the Big Cat pick, "you can never have too may DLinemen". With Sheldon back it opens things up for TB to use more looks and fronts.

So for now, it's all good. But our whole Front 7 is gonna have some changes as TB and Mac progress.

OLB is a concern next year. For that matter LB period. We'll see about Mauldin yet...

And we'll see how the DL shapes out in TB's and Mac's vision of the future

19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This isn't rocket science.

Coples is the odd man out, he isn't a very good LB and he isn't better then anyone that is already on the DL.

He had the game ending penalty last week against the Eagles as well, he has also played rather mediocre to start out the year.

I was hopeful this was going to be his year but the writing is on the wall. This will likely be the last year as a Jet.

Also, our defense is amazing right now and the scheme that Bowles uses is fantastic. You don't alter your scheme for one player to fit in somewhere, you cut ties and find another player that fits what your vision is, you upgrade what you have, you don't shuffle around something that is already working the way you want it to.

It sucks, we could have picked someone more beneficial for this team but its hindsight.

You cut ties and move on.

20. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Could not agree more.

Coples definitely got a raw deal, but it is what it is at this point. He'll likely end up going to another team, and they'll actually use him accordingly.

He ISN'T and will never be a LB. He's a DL-man.