You People Blaming Fitz are Ridiculous

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Because Fitzpatrick was pre-broken when the Jets got him with a broken leg recovery and Todd Bowles believes a team should have a starting QB and a backup QB?

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

There was never a hint of any QB battle or anything like that....Geno was going to be the starter unless he played like shit which of course is possible

3. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

You're right. The whole argument comes down to risk vs. tolerance and neither of us will convince the each other because we have different thresholds for risk. Although I disagree, I do respect your stance and the reasons you give in support of it. As for myself, this situation is reminding me of another QB controversy of the past involving Clemens vs. Chad. Also, I'm a big believer that the mental aspect of the game is not guaranteed to click for anyone. I also believe it's learned faster on the bench for most QBs.

If Geno is going to "click". I really think the best approach to achieve it is through some extra time on the bench. He'd be a better QB today if he wasn't forced to start as soon as he began his NFL career.

4. Br4d

I'm pretty sure this is in the same area as Todd Bowles beliefs about the QB position. Bill Parcells was really big on having just one starting QB and then having people behind him on the roster who could play if needed. Both descriptions fit Fitzpatrick and Geno and so whoever has the job is likely to keep it until he plays himself out of it or gets hurt.

5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this

Ultimately I want the Jets to win it all like all Jet fans and I just don't see enough good signs with Fitzpatrick to justify not making the switch

Even if there's a small chance of Geno doing great things I want to see it play out....maybe the bench has been and will be good for him

ajax likes this.
  6. Br4d

Fitzpatrick had a broken leg when the Jets signed him. Not recovering from a broken leg, he was in a cast. Until the Jets saw him able to play at full speed he was always going to be just an option. This would be Geno's job right now if he hadn't gotten his jaw broken. However he did get his jaw broken and Fitzpatrick did get the job as a result of that and there's no evidence to support handing the job back to Geno unless Fitzpatrick loses it. Geno's supporters have a lot of wishful thinking going on about how Geno might be a superior QB but there's no real evidence that's the case.

Put yourself in Bowles place. You're 3-1 and headed into a relatively simple part of the schedule to manage. Are you going to make a change at the most important position and risk having simple become hard overnight?

If Fitzpatrick loses it the decision will be pretty easy. As long as the Jets keep winning it's a good indicator he hasn't lost it.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

You don't see the poor accuracy on deep balls? Under and over throwing, missing throws? Fitz has done enough to help us win but he has looked shaky in 3 out of his 4 starts this year.

8. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

My judgements are based on his performances in the NFL. Not college. I think you're misinterpreting why some Jets fans aren't Geno supporters.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

clearly geno smith is the key missing piece to our superbowl dreams.

#449 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    PulseJet likes this.
  10. Br4d

How many QB's coming from Air Raid's have improved enough to be a good starting QB in the NFL after looking overmatched their first couple of seasons? I'm thinking Nick Foles is the only Air Raid QB to do well in the NFL, and he improved when a coach that matched the Air Raid tempo and reads became the head coach. Even then, Foles never looked as bad as Geno has looked his first two seasons.

What evidence do we have that Geno could pick up Chan Gailey's offense and run it? It requires a lot of quick throws off of 2 reads and we've never seen Geno able to do that before.

11. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Stop.

Genocide won't see the field unless Fitzy has really really catastrophic bad games in a row.. You don't put him in just because, if the hand we have already is hot. That's idiotic. This isn't Madden. Our future wears number 9 on our team. Fitz is our stop gap guy. Let's see what happens.

Poeman likes this.
  12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I disagree 100%

His INT today was deflected. Fitz does have very mediocre arm, but there is no lack of trying to be aggressive. I really like that about him.

Not to mention he can zip the intermediary passes. His reads are not amazing which is why needs a solid team around him, but he can clearly manage the QB position much carefully then the QBs we have had.

You know that feeling you get when you see your QB just throwing the game away with bad INTs one after the other...I don't get that pissed off, depressed feeling of a garbage QB when Fitzy is in the huddle. He at least knows how to be average and make smart decisions more times then not.

Thats all I ask with him...Geno is bottom tier QB and he can literally lose us games

#452 Poeman, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Big Blocker, PulseJet and MexicanJet like this.
  13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

14. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Although I prefer Fitz starting right now, there's no doubt in my mind that Geno should be ready to come in and take over if the Jets can't win with Fitz. However, I need to reach that point before making that switch. I'm not in favor of swapping starting QB when the team is winning games.

Also think Geno should definitely be competing for the starting gig in next year's training camp. If Geno is the future, he will definitely get his chance this year or next year. This is Fitz, not Manning in front of him.

FJF likes this.
  15. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Why isn't he starting now?

16. Br4d

Again, you're comparing Fitzpatrick to an actually good QB with good deep ball accuracy. There's no reason to do that because we have no actually good QB with good deep ball accuracy on the roster to compare him too.

Would I rather have an actually good QB with a strong arm? Oh yeah. But that's not our decision tree here.

PulseJet and NotSatoshiNakamoto like this.
  17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

He looks better watching from the sidelines...Honestly, Geno has a very punch-able face.

ajax, MexicanJet and KWJetsFan like this.
  18. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I can in no way, shape or form, argue with this.

ajax and Poeman like this.
  19. MexicanJet

And how many times have we seen that?

Geno won't be on our roster within the next 2 years. And i'm 100% ok/happy with that. #9!

20. MexicanJet

Even looking at Geno on the sideline pisses me off... So yes.. Very punchable face.