All we've been begging for is average QB play and folks are complaining?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JStokes, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Geno is lucky he'll wind up back on the field by accident and then it's all up to him. There's no room for failure at this point or he's going to be out the door. There's no room for off-the-field screwups either. He's basically at the point of no return with the Jets and he just has to hope that he gets his opportunity and then plays much better than he has in the past.

He could get on the field this year and perform ok but nothing special and get replaced before next season because the new regime is aggressively looking for a good QB and won't settle for just ok.

Cman68 likes this.
  2. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

Sure he is. He's basically arguing that Peyton was better than Brady in 2014 because Peyton had better stats in 2013. He sounds like a complete idiot.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Wow nice reading comprehension.

The discussion was about both QBs last year.

_

4. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Here is an experiment for you. Pretend you are the fan of a team with a shitty QB. The shittier the better. I'd suggest the Bears. Watch Clausen and the game Sunday. Pray for a mirracle. Then at the end of the game think to yourself, would that game have been any better if Geno Smith had been QB?

There is no chance and sane person doesn't say god damn *Insert shitty QB name* sucks balls but at least it wasn't Geno out there.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Huh?

NYJalltheway likes this.
  6. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Ok...the problem with "good camps":

1. In all the decades I have been following the Jets, I can probably name 152 players that were having good camps..well that's a lie....146 of them were cut.
    2. Can never remember a coaching staff giving the job to the starter the previous year....then "in camp" saying..shit....what a terrible camp our projected starter is having.
    3. 34 articles on the Jets first 3 days of "camp" stating Geno has yet to throw a pick.
    4. 42 Articles stating Browning Nagle is lighting it up in "camp".
    5. 125 articles claiming Chad Pennington has been doing special exercises in the off-season and is now throwing the ball 6 yards further in the air....."in camp"

Where the F was I going with this point..oh..camp.

I stopped reading "camp" articles a long time ago. Thanks for listening. Not busting you ImageD....camp articles are like internet bullies...make believe.

#746 jaywayne12, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  7. jaywayne12

I read it 3 times and by the end of the 3rd one...I scrolled up to see what site I was on..then what thread.

8. jaywayne12

Agreed...totally CMAN. The thing that sticks with me is the day Geno got flattened with a broken jaw, Bowles went out of his way to defend his qb initially...and while there was no reason any person should be punched like that, you get the feeling it was the final straw when the "story" started coming out...and Bowles said things like it was childish by both.

In many ways, Geno and Sanchez remind me of each other in that they both have that same immature side with a sense of entitlement. Both were treated pretty much the same way in that they were rewarded positions with little or no competition. While Mark deserved that his first few years, that grew old fast and Geno was treated the same way. A fan-base that was just screaming for a QB of the future fought over 2 undeserving prospects.

What the Geno lovers will never understand is that after so many years of mentally challenged....Satan created miscues....turnovers that secretly had to be in their contracts as "bonuses", many Jet fans just want maturity. Maturity. Yeah...that's it for me. I just want a person to act like a responsible grown up back there in the qb spot. The past 5 years have made many of us pretty accepting of a guy that can stand back there and just look like a qb...if he plays like one? Wow.

Brook! likes this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Will Geno leap-frog Petty as the BUQB this week against Philly?

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If he's healthy he absolutely should. Under no circumstances should Petty touch the field this year.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yep.. This is more about protecting and nurturing Petty than Geno playing in an emergency. I'd still like to see Petty on the sidelines attached at the hip to Fitz. Geno can go count his money since he's soooo attached to it.

Br4d and FlaJet like this.
  12. Cman68

The classic "cream of the crap" argument: "Geno sucks, but X-Qb REALLY sucks so Geno doesn't suck as bad as the other guy." Unfortunately, at the end of that argument Geno still sucks.

#752 Cman68, Sep 26, 2015
    ajax and Jets69 like this.
  13. Br4d

Geno's finances are kind of funny, in a good way I guess. If you saw the pre-season clip on him that somebody put up, the "getting to know Geno" thing then you know that his mother handles his finances and budgets for him and all that. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually has a lot less walking around cash than most guys on their rookie deals.

This BTW is an American value of days past. It went out of fashion with with the breakup of the multi-generation household but it used to be commonplace for the mother in a family like that to watch the finances and act as a check on youthful exuberance.

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Geno couldn't pay IK because he couldn't wheedle his allowance out of his mom? Now the poor bastard may never sign another pro contract. That's some piss-poor financial planning right there.

Bellows1, ajax, Jets69 and 3 others like this.
  15. Cman68

Hmmmm... So Geno is on an allowance. Perhaps we've been looking at this $600 thing all wrong. Maybe Geno was too embarrassed to ask his mom for the money to pay IK or Mom said no when he did ask. No wonder Geno acts like a spoiled brat. Could it be because he's still a kid?

Maybe his mom will allow him to borrow the car on off days and if he's a really good boy, she might let him buy one. Maybe one day Mom will let Geno grow up too.

Things to ponder...

#755 Cman68, Sep 26, 2015
    FlaJet likes this.
  16. Cman68

Maybe Geno can do those Campbell soup commercials with his Mom. At least they would be factually accurate and who knows, might even generate some sympathy for poor Geno.

17. Br4d

How many young players blow through their first contract and never get another one? The idea of having somebody watch over your finances when you're young is not a bad idea at all if you are sitting on a windfall that may never be repeated.

There's a great scene in the clip where Geno is sitting at a desk looking at a list and asking about some figures on it. Geno: "$450 for groceries last month?" Mom: "You eat a lot of cereal." Geno: "That's true."

A yearly $6K for groceries may seem like a lot but I spent at least that much on takeout and eating out when I was 22 and that was back in 1983 when Pizza was still $1 a slice.

18. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

If Smith was smart, he'd be attached at the hip to Fitz and drop the Jack Benny impersonation.

If Smith was smart...

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

No, I agree with you. I was being sarcastic.

Still, it will be beyond ironic if it really is the case that he couldn't pay up because he was so far under his mom's thumb that taunting a teammate was seemingly the better path than asking his mom for his money. As you've pointed out numerous times, Geno may never get another chance to play, let alone start again.

20. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You are sarcastic 90% of the time except you are not sarcastic while insulting me. :(