All we've been begging for is average QB play and folks are complaining?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JStokes, Sep 21, 2015.

1. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Geno has not played to the level of journeyman to this point in his career. He has been sub-journeyman quality

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Geno has played 2 seasons and I can only remember 1 game where he played like an NFL QB to me. The Falcons game on Monday Night Football. Of course that Falcons D was terrible, but it counts.

Poeman likes this.
  3. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

There are a lot of personality traits that also go into making a guy a good QB. He does not necessarily have to be a "good" guy, but I think he has to see things for what they are. He has to possess a kind of honesty about himself. I have not seen that from Geno in his interviews and pressers. A little humility for this embarrassing occurrence might have helped with that perception. Just saying "That's on me" after a game does not constitute honesty. It is just a throwaway one that lacks sincerity. Everybody uses it. Rex uses it incessantly. Ask him specifically where he failed and he gets his back up. Admitting that you are wrong about an incident or dumb about missing a meeting or getting thrown off a plane or flashing on twitter would help. Does anyone really believe Geno got his times mixed up? That is what I mean. There is something missing. I never get the feeling that Geno is being square with us.

Cman68 and jxc like this.
  4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

LOL, then why have you spent pages upon pages of this thread arguing that Fitz has, indeed, been "less ass" than Geno has?

5. slimjasi

He was really good against the Dolphins to close the season last year and he was good in his first ever game against Buffalo. He also was good in the 2013 win against NE. But yeah, a competent game from Geno is one of nature's rarest birds, indeed.

FlaJet likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

:D Yeah. The 2013 game was an impressive team win, keeping Miami out of the playoffs. 2014 game, watching a 3-12 team win, did nothing for me. That first Buffalo game, was Smith vs. Manuel right? Yeah, I remember Geno playing decent in it.

7. slimjasi

Yep, exactly.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's a good take on Geno.

I've said before that he needs better a better agent or pr person.

9. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Geno needs to pay some people to make us think he isn't a dipshit. Only problem is he can't afford a good PR person and wouldn't listen to them anyway.

10. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

lol, no he wont. he'll never take another snap here as a starter. and maybe never take one again, period.

11. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

ummmmm no. just like no one was scared when sanchez left, and why everyone is begging for sanchez to start on sunday

no one is scared for a rival to aquire the worst qb in football

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Ok When he does, I won't say I told you so.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

he had a perfect QBR last game of the year last year

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Problem is, Geno wouldn't pay them...

jaywayne12 likes this.
  16. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Everyone that is loving Bowles and our coaching staff but hating Geno needs to ask the question - was our coaching staff wrong about how good a camp Geno was having or were they blowing smoke? OR... was Geno actually progressing enough in his young career that he was ready to surpass a below average career journeyman?

I tend to think that it is door number 3 and a lot of people here are just refusing to acknowledge that scenario because it doesn't fit their same 'ol jets narrative regarding developing QB's.

I trust in this coaching staff - even what they saw in Geno.

DoubleDecker87 and jxc like this.
  17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Well - the coaching staff generally isn't going to say bad things about their QB's in the preseason. It could have just been a matter of giving the incumbent starter the benefit of the doubt, especially knowing Fitz is nothing more than a backup QB who can start if necessary.

Now that they know a little more about Geno, well, they aren't sure who the 2nd string QB will be this week even though he's healthy.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Fitzpatrick broke his leg late last season. He didn't participate much in the off-season program on the field and Bowles was likely going with the guy he knew would be able to play. It's the Parcells thing again, when you have two starting QB's you have no starting QB's.

So with Fitzpatrick questionable for a lot of the off-season Geno was the default choice (again) until Enemkpali broke his jaw. Then Bowles immediately flipped the other direction, towards Fitzpatrick, because now Fitzpatrick had largely recovered from the broken leg and was the guy most likely to be the QB with Geno no longer in the picture.

I very much doubt we're ever going to see much indecision from Bowles about the QB. He's going to have a starter and a backup and when he makes the switch he makes the switch.

Bad luck for Geno but also a reminder to everybody that below average players have no job security at all in the NFL. If you go off the field without having earned your way on it you're very vulnerable to losing your job one way or the other.

Cman68 and Brook! like this.
  19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Your right it doesn't in an of itself but as you poignantly stated, other characteristics matter all of which GENO has failed miserably at. Mental acuity matters when processing information... going to the line and making right calls - not the wrong ones - reading defenses, knowing when to get rid of the ball, knowing how to go through progressions in 4 sec or less - all of which Geno has never mastered...

As far as I am concern if never sees the field again as a JET then that will be too soon for me....

FlaJet likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

New Day in Florham Park folks. Genobots have to remember that this FO/CS owes Geno only the money left on his rookie deal and nothing else. Not even the benefit of the doubt. The reality is Geno is a holdover so he doesn't have the track record with the new bosses that could persuade them to just hand the job back to him. Given his production so far, only Geno's contract is keeping him on the roster as this FO/CS is the most proactive one we've had in decades. They only care about the best 11 on game day. Geno was Idzik's project and just like in the real world, new boss/leadership team usually means an evaluation of any holdovers as they will want to put THEIR stamp on the team (Bryce Petty). More often than not, the old boss's "pet" becomes the new boss's casuality. Geno's track record hasn't exactly screamed "keep me".

Brook!, FlaJet and Br4d like this.