All we've been begging for is average QB play and folks are complaining?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JStokes, Sep 21, 2015.

1. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm sure. Like I said before he will start for this team this season, thru injury or ineffectiveness. Anything else and you're kidding yourself.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Anyone else feel bad for Geno? That punch cost him WAY more than $600. He is on his first contract as a second round pick. He was originally projected to be a 1st rounder. He pretty much threw away a starting QB job in the NFL. He may suck but his peers on average make 10M+ a year (in his heart he has to believe he is better than Jay F-ing Cutler). Someone said he is going to be bagging groceries. You may be right! He certainly hasn't socked enough away to never have to work again. He probably is never going to get a big contract now; he may not even get a shot as a backup and make a living wage.

In his short life he's been told by everyone he's the greatest. He's been a celebrity. In a year or two he's going to be living down the street from me selling mattresses at sleepeeze till he gets fired for sucking at that too.

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

If QB production were a direct result of passing skill and arm strength, Jeff George would be the greatest football player to ever wear shoulder pads. Unfortunately for guys like him, Ryan Leaf, Geno Smith, Rob Johnson, Rex Grossman, and Todd Marinovich, both leadership and brains play a big part in a QB's success.

Brook! likes this.
  4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

No, I don't feel bad for him at all. I think he's a dipshit who put himself in the situation he was in and got what he deserved. Maybe he'll think twice about being an asshole and not just paying the guy (or whatever) next time, but I doubt it.

No one is owed anything in life. Your actions and decisions are the biggest factors in what happens to you. Poor decisions often have negative repercussions.

Jets69 likes this.
  5. jxc

jxc Active Member

Here's the way I see it:
    Geno is going to benefit from sitting on the bench. He did improve his game at the tail end of last season culminating in a final game where he became the only NFL QB to earn a perfect passer rating in 2014.

By most accounts, he was also having a fairly good camp this year (not throwing interceptions until the 10th day). Those facts are promising.

However, he did get himself into a pickle in the locker room fiasco. There were probably a dozen opportunities to resolve that dispute before it got physical, but Geno didn't exercise a single one of them. The incident further fuels the argument that he isn't very mature, criticism that goes back to his college days (the late season swoon, "Mountaineers lacked leadership"), the draft (a bit pouty), on through to his first two years as a Jet where he missed meetings etc.

The good news is a knockout punch to the noggin tends to make a young mind a little more introspective. Hopefully in his time off he's noticed that the team has gone along just fine without him. Bowles and Fitzpatrick's quiet, steady leadership is just what Geno needs to experience firsthand.

In the past he's proven that he does bounce back from mistakes on the field. He seldom got mopey after throwing a pick, or fumbling the ball, or stepping out of bounds for a safety, etc. He just kept on trucking. That's a good trait to have (some would argue Mark Sanchez lacked it) and it fits well with Bowles "let's reload" attitude after a setback in a game.

In the end I believe if Geno gets his emotional maturity and leaderships skills strengthened, I think he could be a very valuable guy to have ready on the bench in the event Ryan Fitzpatrick falters. However, to maintain that optimism, I do have to keep telling myself "In his last NFL start, Geno Smith earned a perfect passer rating."

#705 jxc, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    FJF and cval like this.
  6. Revis Now Redux

Revis Now Redux Active Member

What in the world...

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is true, however brick-headed QB's have occasionally turned into very good to great QB's. Terry Bradshaw is one example of a guy who really wasn't the brightest guy around but eventually found himself and became a great leader. Johnny Unitas was a very plain-spoken guy who got cut by one team and then became the best QB in the NFL overnight and stayed that way for more than a decade.

Brett Favre was another guy who wasn't smart enough to know his position and he was also one of the greatest QB's of all time. By know his position I mean that the one scholarship that Favre got was to Southern Mississippi and they thought he was a defensive back on the way in the door. He said "No, I'm a QB" and wound up 7th on their depth chart at the beginning of his freshman year in college.

Then he got a golden opportunity in their 3rd game when everybody else was out for some reason or another and he ran with it and never looked back. There was one hangup in the process, which was that he was so hungover from all the drinking he had done (the night before the game) that he vomited during warmups. Not so smart right? But a great QB nonetheless.

Vinny. You can't explain Vinny's career any other way than leadership and perseverance will eventually rise to the top even when the QB is a brickhead who throws 35 interceptions his second season.

So to say that a lack of mental acuity automatically disqualifies a guy from playing QB in the NFL is just wrong. It disqualifies him if he doesn't have many of the other characteristics necessary to be a successful NFL QB and doesn't develop them as he matures.

jdon likes this.
  8. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

One thing that cracks me up about the Geno haters - when/if the Jets ever dump him, they will be the first to say "I'm scared he will join Rex in Buffalo and turn out to be good"

9. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

I also feel sorry for him and his love life. [​IMG]

oof.

He's a better QB than Sanchez but got paid way less, had way less hotter women after him, and now has limited prospects. He has to go trolling on instagram?!? yikes.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

There are a lot of Geno haters just as there were a lot Sanchez haters that just want to be proven right to be able say I told you so. The vast majority wanted or want Geno to do well that helps the Jets. What we do not like is he how he has played then how he has acted. We were all hoping that he would make the jump and that would not need Fitz but in the end he (F)ed up and got himself knocked out. Now he has to wait and hope to get another opportunity they do not come easy in the NFL.

11. jxc

jxc Active Member

Wow! Warning signs we all missed:

Jets69 likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

This guy zace can't win an argument with himself.

I'm more worried about our injuries than if Geno is capable of being as mediocre as Fitz.

There was an article (in the Post!?!) that said the sucker punch heard round the world could be the best thing to happen to GeNo...he gets to sit & learn from a journeyman on how to play the position and lead with authority.

Makes sense to me.

Right now, the team itself has little regard for Geno Smith.

He found out that he's #2 (or #3) on the depth chart from the media.

Ouch.

Jets69 likes this.
  13. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Fitzpatrick married with 3 kids to an all-american, harvard educated, hottie. Geno is trolling instgram and then is too cheap to pay for her cab home.

Different people make different life choices. Does it say something about their charachter? Ability to play QB? Maybe not, but its hard to argue the Geno is a dipshit school of thought.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

People keep talking Fitzpatrick isn't long-term, but let's not forget Vinny Testaverde. He signed with the Jets at age 34 or 35 right? Had a solid 4-5 year run after that too. Fitzpatrick is only 32. Way too early to talk about this, but if he continues to deliver, no reason he can't be the starter again in 2016.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hold on now. That smells of something made up by a Geno Hater!!! How do we know he banged this chic and decided she could get home anyway she could? How do we know he trolls Instagram for dates instead of NFLPlayersOnly.com? Cmon, this is a setup. Everyone knows Geno isn't tight with a dollar. Just ask his teammates...

jaywayne12 and Jets69 like this.
  16. Cman68

Buys Petty more time to absorb more knowledge.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

cheap ass Geno Smith

Cman68 likes this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Fitz has 5 kids.

He's catching up to Cro...

19. Cman68

That's why he got his jaw broke..

20. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Today they wrote an article about Geno and mentioned that a guy does not lose his job due to injury. They forgot to mention that a guy who is doing a great job does not lose his job to injury. A guy who was doing a rotten job could lose it for any reason at any time.