All we've been begging for is average QB play and folks are complaining?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JStokes, Sep 21, 2015.

1. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Well that's not a bad way of putting it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

if you believe they are both hot messes then what is the problem? i.e. why the momentum in your posts for Geno Smith? One hot mess is 2-0 right now and while he's not lighting things up he's at least in the driver's seat and capable. if you believe they both kinda suck then you should be happy because 1 of them, regardless of his name and his past, isn't a disaster yet

jaywayne12 likes this.
  3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I've explained what my issue was ad nauseum.

4. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

One thing we've learned is that Geno is a polarizing figure. I think he is highly over rated by the pro Geno fans and just as under rated by the haters. The Geno lovers point out his athleticism and higher ceiling compared to Fitzpatrick. They ignore his inability to at times to protect the ball and lack of leadership, professionalism and maturity. The anti Geno crowd will not give Geno one ounce of credit for the good things he has done including any of the 11 games he has won. They treat him like he is the only reason the team was so bad last season when the truth is he has played rather well at times.

The truth is obviously somewhere in between. I'm a pro Geno guy but he deserved to lose his job as starter. He has to take care of his business off the field. He can never miss a meeting the day before a game for any reason. He cannot put himself in position to be punched. He has to earn the respect of the team and now earn back the starting job which was handed to him previously. He finally said the right things yesterday. Maybe he is starting to get it, but I still have my doubts.

I will root for whomever the Jets throw out the as starting QB. I hope Fitzpatrick continues to win games. I've seen enough risky throws this season to know that there will some trouble with him. In the first game, his interception was eye opening. He stared down the receiver threw late and short. In the red zone. This was the type of play Geno and Sanchez were crucified for doing. I expect more from a veteran. So that's why I am not settling for mistakes from an average quarterback.

chandler, FJF, cval and 1 other person like this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Geno's a mess. There's no consistency to his play at all and he rarely puts together results that help the Jets win. You have to start there in your evaluation.

There's nothing he can do on the practice field that is going to change the basic evaluation of him as a rolling mess at QB. That's because it isn't until he gets in game situations that things go haywire. At this point he's probably not going to get more game situations with the Jets unless Fitzpatrick plays his way off the field or is injured.

No, they're really not comparable at this point. You can make the argument that Fitzpatrick was a hot mess his first couple of years as a starter, back in 2008 and 2009, but we're not in 2008 and 2009 any more we're in 2015 and Ryan Fitzpatrick is a vastly superior QB to Geno Smith in 2015. He knows what he has to do with the ball on the field and most of the time he does it. Geno is still uncertain on most snaps and that's why he performs so poorly. He hasn't caught up to the speed of the NFL game yet and he likely never will.

Fitzpatrick makes bad throws now and then but he is so much better than Geno in the short and intermediate game that it's not a close competition. Screens, slants, just knowing where he's supposed to be looking most of the time, those are all things that he does much better than Geno has displayed on the field in the recent past.

When Geno's QBing I'm holding my breath on every snap because I know that he's holding his breath on every snap. It's very similar to Sanchez's last year on the Jets when I just knew that something was going to go wrong eventually and I was pretty sure Sanchez knew that also and lo and behold something went wrong to lose a winnable game.

The thing to realize here is that I don't think Fitzpatrick is a great QB by any stretch of the imagination. He is what he is: a competent journeyman QB probably in his last gig as a starter and hopefully headed for a career year with the Jets in the process.

Geno on the other hand is just a bad QB by every measure possible. The Jets haven't won much with him on the field. He hasn't put up good numbers while they were losing. He clearly doesn't have the team behind him looking to him for leadership at this point. He's just a mess at a position where you can't be a mess for long and survive in the NFL.

He could establish himself as a real QB given the opportunity but aside from a couple of games there's nothing to suggest that he will do that. I'd like to see him succeed but I'm not willing to give him endless opportunities to figure things out. Those opportunities turn into lost seasons when they're not fulfilled and so far two opportunities have been two lost seasons. It's the NFL. You only get so many shots and then your team either cuts bait or goes down with you when you're flailing.

cval likes this.
  6. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Fitz has not been superior that's why he's a journeyman. His career says otherwise and if not for an injury to Mallet, he never plays again in Houston. It doesn't matter whether you like Geno or not, at least be honest about what he is tho. That's all I'm saying.

7. Br4d

You don't have to be a particularly good QB to be vastly superior to Geno. That's the point.

Brook! and jerseyjay14 like this.
  8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Fitz has not been superior that's why he's a journeyman. His career says otherwise and if not for an injury to Mallet, he never plays again in Houston. It doesn't matter whether you like Geno or not, at least be honest about what he is tho. That's all I'm saying.

9. Br4d

You don't have to be a particularly good QB to be vastly superior to Geno. That's the point.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  10. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Ooooh so now we're throwing out good games for Fitz?

Them throw out that bullshit Miami game at the end and Geno's numbers look even worse.

In no world (other than a complete Geno fan) did Geno come close toGutz last year.

The numbers (that you posted links to) don't back it up.

_

11. JStokes

Oh poor Geno fan.

If you disagree with me, point out where I'm wrong.

_

12. JStokes

So again you asked for objective stats and once proven wrong you decide to cherry pick out the stats that don't back you up and make subjective excuses.

Again, well done there.

_

#692 JStokes, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  13. JStokes

Unless you just arbitrarily want to ignore it because it doesn't fit with your predetermined narrative.

_

14. JStokes

So if you take out each of their "inflated" games Fitz was still better.

Shocking.

_

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Geno is a dumb fuck.
    2. Geno lacks leadership quality. [Punch in the face? For flipping the bird in the face of HIS OWN TEAMMATE? Ha!]

Enough to say "Cya kid" for me.

Like I said earlier - Chargers are dumb fucks for pulling their plug on Ryan Leaf so early. And he had much more physical talent than Geno too.

At the end of the day, a good QB should have a mental make-up of a QB. Geno does not. IK's punch says he does not. Argue otherwise. Tell me how that works in the grand scheme of things. I am listening.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  16. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

geno would cost us 10+ games. putting in geno is not giving us a good QB. the solution to "not settling" at QB is not putting in one of the leagues worst qbs in geno

17. jerseyjay14

ill take how it ended under rex... 2 afc championship games.

no matter how we play, we arent a contender with the qbs we have. playing high scoring games wont change that with average-to-bad qbs.

i 10000% disagree on the pats. we were a TERRIBLE team last season, and nearly beat them twice in low scoring grind em out games.

18. jerseyjay14

4500 yards, 30 td vs. 14 ints is killing it in my book. he was fantastic in arizona.

19. bandwagon

bandwagon Active Member

My favorite thread this week: 2-parts crazy, 2-parts sane, 1-part delusional.
    Anyway, anyone saying that this was not a good outing... wait a week or two.
    To the Geno fans... if he were the starter, I'd say 'nice outing, wait one week.'
    In the meantime, enjoy a nice, sane, not entirely uncomfortable win.

20. jerseyjay14

fitz is far superior. he IS a journeyman, but that is still better then geno, who will so no longer be in the NFL. i give geno 1 more stop before he is packing groceries at a supermarket near you.

you are right, it doesnt matter if we like geno or not. all that matters is how bad geno is when he is on the field. and he is terrible when he is on the field