All we've been begging for is average QB play and folks are complaining?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JStokes, Sep 21, 2015.

1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Geno hasn't played on a team this stacked on defense either. Nor has he had a receiver like Marshall so we can make that same argument in Geno's favor. The defense was solid in Geno's first two seasons but this years defense so far looks like a much better unit than in years past.

Fitz has also had issues with turnovers in the past as well.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

You say he won't I say he can. We're both conjecturing, my reasons for saying he can develop is based on physical ability and work ethic, with more experience he could develop into a solid QB.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep, very few 2nd rounders wind up starting in the NFL and most of these are picked by the 36 pick. That's partly the collective ability of NFL GM's to discern talent and it's partly the reality that a failing 2nd rounder has no lifelines in the organization to keep him on the bubble once it has begun to burst. Moving on is the normal thing to do when your 2nd rounder has had a couple of shots and doesn't have a lot to show for them.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

thats why I believe a guy like Bryce Petty is just as likely to be successful in this league as Geno Smith is. The fact that he was a 4th rounder vs. a 2nd rounder has no bearing at the QB position where draft positioning is different because of the premium importance of the position.

They both were flawed prospects coming out of college otherwise they'd been 1st rounders and there really isn't much of a difference in terms of potential at all. after the 1st round: QBs go based on need around the league & draft depth at other positions. in 2013 Petty might've been drafted in the second round if he came out. QB is the only position like that.

we already have the developmental prospect here in Petty. Geno Smith was the present, not the future anyway. Right now Fitzpatrick is proving to be an adequate present so Geno might not have any role waiting for him and thats fine

5. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I personally don't think Fitzpatrick was average. He led Safeties to the ball with his eyes, did not look them off, threw ridiculous passes into double coverage, and left yards on the field by throwing inaccurate passes on check downs and other routes. He probably should have had three interceptions or so, but I can live with his performance. He did make accurate passes tiwards the end of the game, but he was much worse than the numbers indicate. I'm not a Geno fan, but his GOOD games or best games are much better than Fitzpatrick's, so I'd rather have him under center. Now, his bad is worse than Fitzpatrick's, but we need that upside at QB to compete with the better defenses in the league or make a run in the postseason(assuming we get there), IMO.

6. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I dont know what Geno has done to make so many people on this board support him and slam Fitz.

Do people think Geno was going to be the next Brady? The next Rodgers? This was his year? The kid is like Nuke Laloosh from Bull Durham, million dollar arm and a five cent head.

If the Jets organization decide to go with him, I will support the team, but I really cant see that happening unless Fitz is injured.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

But why take the chance? How about if Geno played the way he played the previous 2 years? Geno may still be "developing" but the rest of the team is not. This is a team built to win now similar to the 08-10 teams. In 09 and 10 we were forced to play the young guy in Sanchez because there was no other alternative; this is not the case here. Ideally, we would have had an open competition during the off season and played the winner. Unfortunately, Geno was annointed the starter once again by default due to the fact Fitz was coming off an injury. Now we may be coming up on a scenario where Geno comes back while we are rolling. If that's the case, Geno simply has not done enough up to date to warrant messing up team chemistry to give him "his job" back.

8. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Not sure we were watching the same game. Fitz was accurate most of the game and the only question mark was his throwing into double coverage downfield. But as others said the Jets had to go deep on occasion to unclog the ground game and the intermediate passes.

9. shonnfrank

shonnfrank Active Member

As a rookie he was throwing to josh cribbs, conrad reuland, steven hill and david nelson. Playing with a hobbled decker as a #1, with no number 2 in sight , on a low budget, lame duck team, is the best it ever got for him......and were ready to throw him away year 3, for Ryan Fitzpatrick.
    Come on, guys.
    Thankfully, the CS will do the rational thing and smith will get a chance.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

#329 shonnfrank, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  10. shonnfrank

shonnfrank Active Member

Didnt Nuke end up in the bigs because he got it together? Terrible analogy.
    No, we have no idea yet how good geno can be. But we know fitz's ceiling. We've seen it.
    Sorry to say. We're not getting 5 turnovers a game.

11. BigSnacks54

Throwing to Marshall in double coverage twice (one was picked and the other was nearly intercepted) , is not accuracy. He turned down an open crosser, which nearly led to a pick and missed a simple check down which would have likely resuled in points. The offense was not good at all last night and some of that has to do with Fitzpatrick, along with the lack of running game. The offense is limited with Fitzpatrick's below average arm; I don't see how they, consistently put up points against a better front 7 (like Philly ), or defense in general.

12. shonnfrank

shonnfrank Active Member

Why NOT take the chance? We've gotten to where geno is so bad that he can ruin the entire season in one drive. lol
    Theres a chance to upgrade at qb. You take that chance.
    We're talking about ryan fitzpatrick here. No egos involved. Hes here to back up the situation. He knows that.
    So, after geno throws 10 interceptions in his first game, we bring back pennington, i mean fitzpatrick.

Btw i liked pennington. I like fitz. But they're limited. Geno may be bad, and may very well play himself back to the bench, but hes not limited.

Its fine tho. Its a long season. This subject will play out and we shall see.

#332 shonnfrank, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Why stop there? As long as we're making stuff up--he probably should have had 5 interceptions.

Maybe even 9 or 10.

_

14. JStokes

Zero run game, zero passing game to backs and NO tight ends in the middle of the field as safety blankets.

I'd say with those limitations he was pretty accurate.

_

15. BigSnacks54

Three may have been wrong, but there definitely should have been a second interception(it was dropped after he threw into double coverage).

16. JStokes

Happens to every QB.

Decker also should have had another TD and there were 2-3 other drops.

Are you taking those into account?

Or just the near-INTs?

_

17. bbombers1985

bbombers1985 Active Member

Unless the Jets go on a long losing streak, which with their schedule they shouldn't, I don't see why you start Geno at all. He was inherited by Bowles who has no obligation to start him.

The throws Fitzpatrick was connecting on yesterday, Geno would've held the ball too long or thrown a pick. Let's not forget Fitz went to Harvard.

18. BigSnacks54

I'm questioning his DECISION making , which has been a problem for much of his career, since he has the reputation of being a safe, conservative game managing Quarterback. The offense is limited and part of that has to do with Fitzpatrick's inconsistency driving the ball down field and his low velocity throws. He can get away with that performance against the Colts defense, but against other teams where Windows get tighter, it will become a problem.

19. shonnfrank

shonnfrank Active Member

No. He should've had 5 tds. He looked average against a 3rd string secondary, benefitting from 5 turnovers.
    He is limited.

20. JStokes

Yeah but his decision making on the potential TD was good, right?

His decision making on the drops were good, right?

I didn't start this thread to suggest he was excellent or our long term savior.

But with the crap we've witnessed for the past 5 years and all the noise I've heard about how we could "win if we just get average QB play", I'm having a hard time understanding how his performance last night wasn't even average.

Of course we're going to get beat by teams with better defenses if he continues to make those decisions.

I also want Teddy or Carr or Mariota as my QB.

Those ships have sailed.

If we're going to live in the now--I'll take Fitz's brand of average and try to enjoy a season hopefully with meaningful games into December.

Better than the last 5 years.

_