All we've been begging for is average QB play and folks are complaining?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JStokes, Sep 21, 2015.

1. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Bowles said in the presser that he did not want to get lured into a shootout by the opportunity that the Colts defensive backfield injuries presented. He said he had a game plan and wanted to stick to it. Play your own game. I was very impressed by that statement. Their commitment o running it even when it was not going early also impressed me.

Red Menace and BrowningNagle like this.
  2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

No he's holding it a very long time. Which means our oline is doing much better this year. Even brick looked shitty last year a lot. How much of that was Rex, hey we will never know, but the game is on nfl network right now go back and watch it.

Fitz is def not getting the ball out quick, which is fine as long as the pass protection holds up. That's actually not one of my complaints about him tho.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Many see Fitz limitations but also realize we are better off with Fitz than Geno, if you seriously think we would be 2-0 with Geno at QB that is your prerogative.
    I don't like when Fitz just heaves it up but he is somewhat smart with the ball in the short game and can get rid of it when need be. Even going up against less than stellar DBs the first 2 games something tells me Geno would have given the ball up at least 6 times between INTs and fumbles and been sacked 5-6 times.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So you think Geno got rid of the ball quicker?

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yes. I think fans are jumping on this bandwagon and overestimating Fitz abilities. No he's not the worst, but the fact remains his arm strength is not good and he holds the ball way too long. He wings it in to traffic way more than he should, and is lucky he doesn't have 3 more picks.

Maybe you don't like Geno that's you business, but just because you don't like him you can't just bury what he's capable of and if you agree with me or not the one thing you should be able to agree with me on is this. Geno did not have a good team or coaching staff last season and had missing pieces and moving parts. You can't say we woulda lost with him. Especially since our defense has carried us.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It might have been me, but I just remember Gruden pointing out that Fitzpatrick appeared to audible out during those pass plays during the fourth qtr TD drive, so it is logical to assume they were called as running plays from the booth.

But in fairness to Gailey, the related point is that he lets Fitz do that. It is not bad coaching to say try running it since we have the lead, but if they load the box you can audible out.

ANd of course they would have been less likely to set that up with Smith in there, so there's that as well.

I understand the too conservative argument, but they were ahead and did not want to get in a shootout with Luck.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

and maybe people don't like smith because he plain out sucks..3 picks in 3 series in buffalo last year, come back when fitz has a game like that.

FlaJet likes this.
  8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He's had plenty of them. Come on Don get your head out of the sand. Even when he was in his prime.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Not here he hasn't and that's all I care about..smith has had about 30 bad games here. fitz p[layed on bad teams wityh bad lines and bad receivers pretty much everywhere he was and that usually causes bad qb play..this team is probably the best team he has ever played on so let's see what he does here..so far he is 2-0.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't see Fitz holding the ball too long. I think he's getting rid of it pretty quickly most of the time. Certainly he's delivering more quickly than Geno ever has.

BrowningNagle and FlaJet like this.
  11. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

It's going good so right now it makes no sense to say Geno this or that. Right now I'm loving it. Go Fitz, GO JETS..

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I just laugh at so many of you last season saying Manning and Brady couldn't win on this team and somehow you all forget that. You really think Fitzpatrick would have been good on this team last year? 30? He was a top 10 qb last 4 games of the season. Which wasn't a coincidence when of the team got healthy again. He wasn't the defense that only got 10 takeaways more than half way thru the season. Be real here and use facts don't just shout out numbers that mean nothing.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Are we allowed to complain when Fitz throws into double or triple coverage for no apparent reason or are we suppose to just be quiet and happy that he's average? Wasn't that what the unwritten rule was about Geno; we were suppose to be happy that he wasn't Sanchez?

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I thought Gailey called a good game even though many apparently don't? and that's a damn good point about trusting Fitzpatrick to audible - that is coaching.

Gruden's point last night about how he is calling plays like a HC and not a coordinator was spot on. A hot shot young coordinator last night might've seen an early lead with an injured secondary and licked his chops and pushed down too hard on the gas causing turnovers or even simply incompletions resulting in quick drives. the HC in Gailey recognized who they were facing on the other side of the field and that it was important to be patient.

I also think Gruden point about Gailey not caring about stats isn't a silly one, but a solid point. He's not coaching for a HC job there's no incentive for him to finish "top 10" or pad his resume. no reason for him to be cute. just coach to win.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Geno is the disaster we know. Could he get better? Sure, but there's no reason to go looking for that unless Fitzpatrick plays his way off the field or is hurt.

If Geno gets back on the field I'll root for him to succeed. I'd rather keep rooting for Fitzpatrick to succeed because, well, he's succeeding at the moment. Success isn't something to be tampered with, certainly not for the Jets at QB these days.

16. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Best post of the thread.... we've all seen Jet QB's over the years throw away games.

The stats don't matter, all that matters is when the Colts scored a TD the Jets went down the field and scored a TD to rip the hearts out of the Colts.

Did the offense leave points on the field? Maybe? Folk missed a FG, Enuwa dropped a long pass, Giacomino cost us 15 yards with his stupid penalty. Decker dropped what would have been a TD. Not sure you can blame Fitz for that. He made 2 bad throws all night and I don't think that's really anything to be worked up about.

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick's experience and complete understanding of the system is far more valuable on this team than Geno's "potential".

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

And when faced with pressure he steps up and doesn't backpedal 15 yards.

_

stinkyB and NotSatoshiNakamoto like this.
  19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I understand your point but I don't agree with that at all. Developing a long term starting QB is massively important. Geno screwed up in the offseason losing his job because I think (my conjecture can't be proven one way or the other) he would've been looking solid these last 2 games.

20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

the offseason is irrelevant. real games vs real teams is what matters. geno not sucking in practice with no contact is meaningless

the guys is terrible. period.

IDFjet likes this.