Geno is angry

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jxc, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

For an argument to be logical the object of the argument doesn't need to conform to the facts of the argument. You've made a very good point that undermines the underlying FACTS. In this case, it undermines the FACT that the Jets are looking to protect a player if they do something stupid. But it doesn't change the theoretical soundness of the logic.

Back to my Socrates example:
    Socrates is a cow
    All Cows are purple
    Socrates is purple

This is perfectly logical but the FACTS on which the logic rests are trash. Socrates wasn't a cow and, barring some recent genetic tinkering, cows are not purple.

What you have hit on, quite nicely, is that there might be a flaw with the way the facts are being interpreted on which the logic rests. Now perhaps there is a counter argument, but it isn't coming to me at the moment so I will let someone else take over.

Why do I feel like a referee all of a sudden?

2. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Thank you. I'm an anal academic/Jets fan and sometimes I just can't let go of those niggling little things that bother me. :)

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Remind me never to talk politics with you... :)

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yeah--and I was drinking last night and even I understood how crazy that dude was getting.

_

5. shotzy

shotzy New Member

Right from the horses mouth.

He will never get it.

Pressed on what he could have done differently, Smith rephrased his story. "I don't regret anything," he said. "I don't think I did anything wrong. You can't go back in time."

Geno Smith on jaw-breaking fight: 'I don't regret anything'

• Geno Smith #7 of the New York Jets sits on the bench against the Cleveland …

Players get injured all the time in preseason and miss large chunks of games, but few for reasons more humiliating than Geno Smith. The former Jets starting QB, as you no doubt recall, got clocked by then-teammate I.K. Enemkpali and suffered a fractured jaw.
      Smith is expected to be out several more weeks. In the meantime, Ryan Fitzpatrick has taken over the team, and last week led the Jets to a 31-10 victory over the Cleveland Browns. That would weigh heavily on anyone, but when you've lost your gig because of something as mindless as a locker room fight, well, it hurts all the more.

"It's hard," Smith said in an interview with NJ Advance Media. "You've just got to be patient. It's one of those things. Had it been something where I got injured on the field, [I'd] probably have a better perspective of it. For it to be such a freak accident ... sometimes, you wake up, and you're like, 'Man.' You wish you could go back to that day, and do something different."

The hullaballoo around the fight has died down somewhat, but among the threads: Enemkpali was apparently upset with Smith for missing an offseason camp, but Smith indicated that someone close to him had just passed away. Enemkpali demanded $600, the fight ensued, and more than a few Jets were apparently not exactly rushing to Smith's defense.

Pressed on what he could have done differently, Smith rephrased his story. "I don't regret anything," he said. "I don't think I did anything wrong. You can't go back in time."

Smith will be out for some time to come, and meantime he's in an awkward position: he wants to be a good teammate and support Fitzpatrick, but the better Fitzpatrick plays, the more difficult it becomes for Smith to retake his old job.

• By Jay Busbee
    • saw it on yahoo

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey Geno, getting drilled in the face isn't a "freak accident".

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He did last year at Texans.

197/312, [By average, about 16.4/26, 63.1%] 2483 YD/12 games [About 207 YD/game], 17 TD, 8 INT, 95.3 rating.

Kind of like his record past week.

I keep telling ya folks. THIS KID AIN'T NO FUCKING LEADER MATERIAL. JUST QUIT IT.

june19 and FlaJet like this.
  8. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

What so different about it? They had a Vet in Vick last season and a unproven Simms. Same thing they got this season.

9. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Because the vet they have this year actually cares about winning, unlike the apathetic Vick, and at that this stage in their careers, Fitzpatrick is the better player. The rookie we have might be unproven, but unlike Simms, has genuine NFL potential.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Let's start with a vet backup that came in and produced. He is backed up by a 4th rd pick

^Will answered this for me perfectly..

Really now. You can't be drawing comparisons between Vick/Simms and Fitz/Petty.. Cmon 007.. Knock it off man. You're taking a ride on the crazytrain now.. That's not just an upgrade, its damn near a quantum leap.

#330 Cman68, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  11. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

By game six or seven this whole situation should play out. And hopefully it comes in favor of the Jets.

12. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Well, this explains a lot.

13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I agree. I tend to use a colloquial definition of logic that is heavily based on my perception of the pragmatic considerations pertaining to a given situation. FYI, I am an applied physicist, so my logical excursions these days tend to be highly conformed by that restriction.

I think the critical factor here is what the coaching staff and front office truly think of him, in terms of both his dedication and professionalism as well as his overall intrinsic talent. None of us really know what they make of him, so it's hard to say one way or another. If they honestly think he has the chance to be a stud, they are much more liable to stick with him through think and thin. If they think he is just another immature, unmotivated underachiever (of which, the quarterback position has produced many), I highly doubt they would give him any preferential treatment, whatsoever. If I had to guess, their perception of him is probably somewhere in the middle, but that is pure speculation on my part.

My issue with Geno is that I doubt if he has what it takes between the ears to ever make it in the league. His on-field decision making has always appeared hopelessly haphazard and erratic to me. He plays like someone who doesn't adequately prepare for the games.

This reminds of Plaxico Burress. Poor Plaxico.

#333 slimjasi, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Meaning not Smith. Right. I agree.

june19, FlaJet and Jets69 like this.
  15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Geno is soft as Charmin.

So done with this guy's attitude...If the leaders of the team won't respect you as a QB then there is no point in being out there.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  16. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Jets are a better team this year than the texans were last year. Better D, more weapons on O, and a far far superior O-line. Fitzpatrick is excitingly average. Something we haven't had in 6 years.

TwoHeadedMonster and FlaJet like this.
  17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So I said I was screaming out of joy - at the sight of MEDIOCRE OFFENSE for the first time in the past half decade. Jets O were terribly atrocious during that span. I didn't know average offense could be this exciting. I shit you not.

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. We've come to expect dogshit over the years, so this looks miles better.

FlaJet likes this.
  19. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Take Marshall away then Fitz doesn't do very good.

20. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Was hoping for a more 'considered' statement from Geno......."Locker room misunderstanding that got out of hand"........."Huge learning experience"........."focusing on my health and learning the system"......."Planning to be ready if the team needs me wheter from the start, bench or in garbage time"............"Good start to season. Go Jets!"

Instead we got what he gave us :(

In comparison I look at Johnny Manziel who has said all the right things coming into this season after his mistakes of last year and as an added bonus - actually looked to have learned and improved on his gamecraft somewhat (if he can learn to protect the ball and not try to make up a 14pts on one play, the Browns might actually make something of him).