Geno is angry

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jxc, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That happens when you draft Defense in the first round year after year w/o back filling other skill positions.(Looking at you Rex). The team name "Jets" actually is a misnomer when you think about it. Should be more like "Trucks" or "Trains" as mostly, we've been a ground attack team coupled with a good to great defense in recent times. You may have to go back as far as Vinny, Keyshawn and Wayne to see a Jets team that was more than capable of beating a team with an air attack.

That being said, I'm curious to see what Gailey can do with Geno. MM I think was a bit too sophisticated for Geno and from statements, the rest of the team may have been overwhelmed too. I'm suspicious of miracle workers generally but maybe this time, we might have gotten lucky. Yes, I used the word lucky associated with the Jets.

Make no mistake though. This is Geno's last stand in NY should he come back this year and start. As I said in an earlier post, he's gonna need a lot of luck and things breaking his way. (no pun intended)

2. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Handle? We are not talking on CB's. Lol. Yes I'm a Geno fan but I'm A Jet fan FIRST.

3. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

None of that is Geno fault. Like I have said I think Geno should get one more chance and if looks like the Geno of the last 2 seasons I will be the first to say Geno must go. Plus this GM and coaching staff must see something in Geno to name him the starter before TC even started. A lot of people seem to want to overlook that when there saying how great Mac and Bolwos is.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sometimes you get dealt a shitty hand to play in life. Do you bitch about it or do you play it out? They named Geno the starter because there was no one else on the roster at the time. Simms? no Vick? gone. The FO/CS looked under every rock and dark corner trying to find a quality veteran Qb to come in and backup/challenge Geno. The best they could do was a journeyman coming off a broken leg who fortunately played in Gailey's system before. Hate to break it to you like that, but Geno was the cream of the crap on hand at the time. Nothing on Geno's professional resume suggests he should have been named anything except backup or 3rd string. That's how pathetic the Jets' Qb situation was at that time. Now with Fitz and Petty, entirely different scenario for the FO/CS.

Geno's Last Stand ? 2015

#304 Cman68, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I'm angry..we don't get the Buffalo-NE game Sunday, instead we get Miami-Jacksonville..yeah, right.

6. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

That's so lame.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Smith Fans are just awful. It would help if they knew the game, meaning they might make better arguments. But then again if they knew the game they wouldn't be Smith Fans. I can see where this is a problem for them.

I guess the best argument they can come up with is that while Smith has been the worst Qb in football for two years, he's got a strong arm, and maybe with better receivers and with some maturity to make better decisions in the games, he might improve.

The problems anyone but Smith Fans can see with that, which includes people who know the game, is that there is no reason to think he will mature. To the contrary the IK episode is very compelling evidence he remains woefully immature. And while the better receivers argument seems so logical to Smith Fans, it is of course the case that ANY Qb will do better with better receivers. But here's the thing - people who know the game also know that the vast majority of Smith's problems in his first two years were of his own making. They were unforced errors. He made them all by himself.

In other words the best argument for Smith Fans sucks.

Meanwhile this is not about Smith, not primarily, anyway. We are fans of a team. That team is in its regular season. We have a Qb who did well in his first game. Not great, but well enough. The Jets won the game. If they can keep it up they might make the playoffs. No reason to put Smith in. I hope he never takes a snap for this team again.

Final note here is I understand why some want to have fun debating Smith Fans. they are low hanging fruit, and on some level need to be countered to avoid giving the casual guest reader here the wrong idea, that being that at least some perhaps sizeable portoin of Jet fans do not really know the game. But I personally see little point in debating SMith Fans.

mgjetman22 and Jets69 like this.
  8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Well done Sir.

_

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The problem with Geno was his handling by the former FO. THAT problem has been corrected already. Geno's a fragment of a bygone era. He doesn't matter. He'll wash out with tomorrow's laundry. Everything until then is fluff.

FlaJet and Big Blocker like this.
  10. slimjasi

Geno isn't playing unless Fitzpatrick falters. If the Jets are something like 4-2ish when Geno is ready, he isn't getting in the game. However, Fitzpatrick has a well-documented history of falling apart as the season progresses, so there is still certainly a chance for him.

For some strange reason, I have a decent feeling about Fitzpatrick. His history of being interception-prone scares me, but I think he has the right demeanor for this team.

11. Don

If he falls apart in week 7 or later don't be at all surprised if Petty doesn't replace him, by then he will have had a lot of time as the number 2 and be well versed in the playbook.

Cman68 and FlaJet like this.
  12. slimjasi

It's certainly plausible, although when asked, Bowles has given every indication that he feels Petty is a long way off.

That would be very exciting, though.

13. slimjasi

I continue to sincerely believe that if this team gets average NFL quarterback play this season, it will win double digit games. This roster, more or less, has everything else you need to compete. I'd go so far as to say that we are relatively stacked on the defensive line and at most prominent skill positions. We are set. We just need a quarterback who won't decisively fuck things up.

14. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

It's good to dispell the, "QB's take two years to develope" myth. Which turns into, "the 3rd year is when they break out". Which turns into, "He looked really good the last two games last year". Which becomes, "A. He's cheap, no reason to let him go. Or B. He cost to much to let go".

If Geno can play at a high level and shows it in practice, he may beat out Fitz even if he's winning. I want him to do it, I think everyone does, so we can end this 40 year QB search. I don't think he will. I don't think he's taken any responsibility for his actions. What he should have done was said, "IK, sorry I missed your event, let me pay for the tickets and we'll try again next year. Bro hug, let's play some football.

FlaJet likes this.
  15. slimjasi

Totally agree with this.

#Mark Sanchez

16. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I agree with the first half, the second part is still to be seen. Our defense did not look good last week until middle of the second half. If it wasn't for Jonny Fumble, it would have been another nail biter.

17. Don

Unfortunately the defense has been pure crap since camp, they couldn't stop a nosebleed against Cleveland which is as crap a team as there is and had to wait for Manziel to self implode before having any chance of winning that game...they better have improved a whole lot this week or we may give up 45 points.

FlaJet likes this.
  18. slimjasi

I agree that the defense thus far hasn't looked as good as advertised overall, but good defenses tend to gel and get better as the season progresses. My hope is that they start to dominate by late November. What I liked more than anything else last week, was how larcenous we were.

19. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

The points you're making are valid points, and logical as well. The problem is that you're arguing over FACTS and coming to different logical conclusions. This is why I like the ridiculous "Socrates" example so much--go back to above post and look at it again please. It is a patently ridiculous example BUT completely logical and this is my point. You and Jstokes have both made solid arguments and I can see where you or he would argue that the other's interpretation of the supporting evidence is wrong, but that isn't a failure of logic. At least not in this case.

Now if you want my ill-educated, half assed football opinion, I think you are both right to some extent, I am just not sure how to explain yet. I think you have a point that the current admin didn't fine him and yet have no connection to him. OTOH, as I think Jstokes would point out, Geno remains the future, if only for a few more months (if he craps out). So it could be argued that getting a broken jaw and derailing his third season where his career is on the line might be deemed punishment enough and the org might worry about completely undermining his confidence and his "image" in the locker room. After all, QBs are really coddled today IMHO.

I think a lot of people wonder if the regime or other players feel Geno deserved what he got. In this case I could see further punsihement as not necessary. He got clocked, IK got let go, and Geno is losing part of his season and it may costs him his career if he cannot recover his position. Wouldn't that be punishment enough?

None of us know this for certain, but it is an interesting theory. Anyway, that's my 1/50 of a buck.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Practice is not the same as playing in real games. It is obvious that Smith falters when the pressure is on.

As for the development argument, that is obviously a poor fit for Smith. Smith only "looked good" when the pressure was off and the other team doesn't care.

Again, I see little point in talking about him since my hope is we never see him take another snap in a Jets uni.