So the fire Idzik goons got their way... happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 1, 2015.

1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

2. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Yikes. These are embarrassing opinions to have. I hope this is sarcasm.

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

McCarron 10 years. That's pretty funny.

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Let's move d'Arnaud to the outfield. That's pretty funny.

_

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm talking about football and he's bringing up baseball. And a two month old stale conversation about the Mets. So who's derailing threads.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're talking past me as much as I am you. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I said I want a top 5 QB. I've said that plenty of times, and you know that in spite of liking Geno, I still wanted both Teddy and Mariota, so I don't know why you keep throwing that crap into the discussion. It means nothing and adds nothing to the discussion. You're just trying portray me as wanting something lesser than you, and you're better than that.

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Any team would love a true franchise Qb. And by that I mean someone who's proven it over several years not just one season. Did you ever hear of the sophomore jinx. It happens in football, too. And Qbs can fall out of favor real fast. I mean whatever happened to Vince Young? But you can win with a good, not great Qb. And imo should not salvage the franchise and spend all of your draft picks to try to find one great player when it's a complete crap shoot. The two best Qbs (so far) in the 2014 draft were chosen late 1st and early 2nd and a guy who right now doesn't look that good was taken at overall 3. I think you can win with a competent game manager who doesn't turn over the ball a lot. You know like a Chad Pennington. You can win with Fitz if he plays well.

8. JStokes

We're disagreeing about the value of using a high second round pick on a backup QB who is worse than most of the jag backups floating around the league and doesn't have the football IQ ever to be a top flight QB and likely not a good backup either.

I understand that you wanted Teddy and Mariota as much as me.

But taking a QB in 2013 was a massive mistake by Idzik.

It was an awful class not worthy of taking any QB in any round.

It was a waste of a pick and prevented us from taking a true franchise QB in 2014.

_

9. JStokes

Ahhh you gotta love the "you can win with a competent game manager" strategy.

That's something to aspire to.

_

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

How so? Care to elaborate or you just making pointless comments

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

if you are going to criticize players and coaches on bad luck losses (which we all do), you have to credit them for good luck wins.
    a win is a win, and we had 8 hard earned ones with a B squad.

and as bad as our QB options were, Sanchez was an even worse choice.
    there was no way he was starting here in 2013. he was mentally shot in this town, and there was no faith in the org left for him.
    it would be like Idzik still GM'ing this season.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I think you're right.

I disagree: I always opt for the one year "flash-in-the-pan" types esp. when it comes to QBs. Easy come, easy go I say . . .

No, what is it?

You don't say ….

Beats me Baby Jane.

And a 2000 Ravens defense?

ALL of your draft picks? As in 1st round QB, 2nd round QB, 3rd round QB……?

"….if your QB plays well, you can win….."

Hey I think you're onto something there Capt. Ob.

13. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

How many hours did you spend on this, genius.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He was going to start if not for Rex Ryan's dumb ass decision to throw him out there late in that preseason game against the Giants.

Idzik may or may not still be here. If he gets Bridgewater and craps on the other picks he still gets fired prob.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Again, we're going to have to agree to disagree. IMO at this point in time, if it was a mistake, it was a mistake only in that it prevented that dodo Idzik from taking a QB in 2014. Was Geno worse than any of the jag backups the last two years? For the most part, yes, but that was only because he never should have seen the field in 2013 and maybe not last year, either. He has more physical talent than most of those jag backups by a large margin. He may prove me wrong if he sees the field this year, but at this point I think he quite possibly is better than all those jag backups by a good margin. At least in Gailey's offense, I think the light has gone on for him, and he will play at a much higher level.

16. BacktoQueens

he was not going to start...
    the organization had moved on from him, and it was obvious (and the correct call)..

Ryan inserted a backup QB into a preseason game.
    if Sanchez was going to be our starter, he would have started that game.
    do you not remember the climate regarding Sanchez heading into that season? 95% of this board would have exploded if Sanchez was named starter. it was obvious to anyone he was getting cut at seasons end.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The last QB in game 3 is the bottom of the roster guy. That should have been Matt Simms. Putting Sanchez in was due to Rex not wanting to lose the battle over Geno and Sanchez and figuring that Sanchez would light up the Giants reserves.

18. BacktoQueens

the backup QB plays in the third preseason game..

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You should be aware after 5 years that Rex Ryan has no clue how to handle the QB position at any point and time. Geno was not ready to play and he showed that during the Giants game. That entire competition was bullshit.

should've made Mark the starter and if he struggled, you put Geno in. Or you don't draft Geno at all, take the bullet 1 more yr and get Bridgewater.

20. BacktoQueens

maybe he wasn't ready, you are probably right.
    but Sanchez was done here, and we were moving on regardless. they planned on getting Geno the experience.
    Geno was extremely inconsistent in 2013, with some really bad moments, but he also was a huge part of several of our wins.
    2014 is what really disappointed me with him, followed by the BS this preseason.

in terms of Ryan handling the QB position, i've never seen him with a QB.
    but he does have a track record of starting guys too soon, which was exactly the plan again with Geno.