So the fire Idzik goons got their way... happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 1, 2015.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I don't think top flight elite QBs start out dumb and become football geniuses.

If you're happy having a dope develop a bit of football IQ so that he can become mediocre, then you and I are looking for two different things out of the position.

I want a guy we win BECAUSE of, not a guy we can win WITH. I don't think Geno will ever develop enough smarts to be an elite QB and I'm sick an tired of hearing the " we can win with average QB play and a great defense".

And wasting the 39th pick to grab your future backup when there are backups and jags floating around the league constantly?

Yeah, I'm not wrong on these issues, we just have way different opinions.

Idzik massively screwed up the Jets with who he took and who he didn't.

_

FlaJet, Pocket Jet and Big Blocker like this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

2013 was a really shitty QB situation for us...
    there is no way i'd start Sanchez, yet we couldn't cut him or trade him. we couldn't afford any quality replacement in FA and the draft class sucked despite our high picks available.
    it was a good year to pick up a low cost FA QB and hope for the best..
    i'm still amazed we won 8 games..

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Thanks for mentioning the HC search. That was another huge factor. I can't imagine anybody wanting him to do that.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Totally agree here. Smith was not the guy then, and he certainly is not the guy now. It's about him being a poor prospect to develop.

Some defend the pick by saying Smith was a good pick at #39. But the obverse is that every team in the league passed on him, some twice. There's a reason they did. Idizk thought he was smarter than evryone else. He wasn't. Smith was a bad choice, and going with him in 13 ended up being compounded when the Jets went into the 14 drft not looking for a Qb because they wanted to give Smith another year to show that he had it. That was understandable to some extent, but it compounded the harm of the Smith pick.

#504 Big Blocker, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    VaBchJet, FlaJet and Pocket Jet like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013QB.php

The list of QBs were extremely shitty. I would've started Mark for one more year and moved on the next year. In the process, would've went for either Bridgewater or Carr the next draft.

We got lucky as shit that year, we won a lot of close games, I look back at that year and it's just amazing how that happened. It created a lot of false hope as well.

6. JStokes

Godammit.

_

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who said anything about top flight or elite QBs or becoming football geniuses? I didn't, nor do I think that is what Geno will ever be. I do think he can become a competent quality starting QB and a top 15-20 QB, which will be better than anything we have had at the QB position in a good while.

As I said, I think Geno can be more than mediocre, or at least I did before the smug issues with his not paying Ik surfaced.

I want a QB we can win because of as well, but until you get that guy, you have to try to upgrade the position as well as you can. I hope that Petty can become that, because I don't hold out any hopes for the QB class of 2016. You know how much I wanted Teddy and Mariota. Even having taken Geno the year before, I still would have taken Teddy in a NY minute or Mariota this year. Geno could have been developed into at least a quality backup or possibly traded to another team desperate for help at QB. I still would have taken him because it was good value at pick #39 and there were no guarantees that we'd have been in a position to get Teddy or Carr in 2014 or Mariota in 2015. At that point in time, we just needed a young QB with potential that we could try to groom and hopefully be able to move on from Sanchez as soon as possible.

You may be content with a JAG or one of the crappy backups floating around the league serving as your #2, but I'm not. With the way starting QBs get injured, I want a quality backup, not some piece of crap who the minute he steps on the field it means that your season is over. I want a guy with whom you at least have a possibility of still remaining competitive. Why not maintain your high standards there as well?

You get no argument from me about Idzik screwing up the Jets with whom he took and whom he didn't (mostly Teddy and not getting one of the stud WRs last year).

We have very different opinions, but part of that is because you are talking apples to my oranges.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. Even though hardly anyone wanted it, starting Mark that year was the only reasonable thing to do. I would have taken Geno, and then taken Bridgewater or Carr in 2014. I still would have taken Geno too.

9. JStokes

That's one area where we differ.

I don't want a top 15-20 QB--which I don't think Geno will ever be in any case--I want a top 5-10 guy. And I'm going to charge my FO with finding him.

I don't want better than we've had in a "good while", I want outstanding out of the most important position in pro sports. I want great, I want excellence, I want a QB that will win us games week in and week out. That was never going to be or never will be a guy with a 5 cent head.

But you used the 39th pick of the draft to get WORSE than a jag or one of the crappy backups floating around the league. You didn't GET a quality backup, you got a dope with an attitude.

Hell, we picked up Fitz for NOTHING and we sure as hell didn't waste a high second round pick on him.

Using a high second round draft pick to grab your backup-who, by the way, isn't very good, is a monumental waste of that pick.

You can keep talking past me, but you'll never convince me. That was a monumental waste in the wrong year to draft any QB.

_

Big Blocker and Pocket Jet like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would not have drafted Geno in the 2nd round, the pick for me would've been Keenan Allen.

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The big mistake of Idzik with Qbs in 2013 was signing Garrard who wasn't physically able to play. Look he was a good Qb but hadn't played since 2010. If healthy he'd of been my choice to start in 2013 over Geno and Mark. Mark had been terrible the previous 1.5 seasons. Idzik should have signed a healthy vet Qb to compete with Sanchez and gone into the season with Geno carrying a clipboard. He obviously wasn't ready to start.

The 1985er likes this.
  12. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Outstanding...

[​IMG]

13. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Look here are the 2014 Qbs drafted:
    Blake Bortles QB UCF 1 3(3) Jacksonville
    Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M 1 22(22) Cleveland
    Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville 1 32(32) Minnesota
    Derek Carr QB Fresno State 2 4(36) Oakland
    Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois 2 30(62) New England
    Logan Thomas QB Virginia Tech 4 20(120) Arizona
    Tom Savage QB Pittsburgh 4 35(135) Houston
    Aaron Murray QB Georgia 5 23(163) Kansas City
    AJ McCarron QB Alabama 5 24(164) Cincinnati
    Zach Mettenberger QB LSU 6 2(178) Tennessee
    David Fales QB San Jose State 6 7(183) Chicago
    Keith Wenning QB Ball State 6 18(194) Baltimore
    Tajh Boyd QB Clemson 6 37(213) NY Jets
    Garrett Gilbert QB Southern Methodist 6 38(214) St. Louis

So what's so great about this group. As for Teddy and Carr. They both played well their rookie seasons but aren't established stars yet. And over 30 teams passed on both of them. They are not slam dunks to be elite franchise Qbs.

#513 pclfan, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  14. JStokes

You discussing QBs is funny.

_

joe likes this.
  15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

What's so great is I see 4, maybe 5 legit franchise starters there. That's FIVE chances we had to take a starting QB but didn't.

Bridgewater is being compared to Rodgers by scouts now already. He looks like a machine playing QB.

Carr has a lot of moxie and shown some good things, he has a chance still. Kind of a dink and dunker, I hope he can take it to the next level.

Garoppolo looks good everytime he plays. The question isn't if he'll be good but how good.

Savage was doing awesome. By far the best QB on the Texans. Those dickhead coaches put him 3rd string and let him get murdered behind a scrub OLine in the 4th quarter of a preseason game. He injured his shoulder. Sound familiar? may never become anything now. Can you tell I'm pissed? Almost made a thread about it, I'd probably have called it "Dumbest coaching decision of the year".

AJ McCarron has looked really good this year. I was never that high on him at all, but now I am. He likely takes over for the hated Dalton. As soon as this year if the bengals start bunglin.

And also Fales has looked pretty good. Like at least a solid backup.

The argument that 30 teams passed on all these guys is ridiculous. NFL FO's suck so bad at QB evaluation. They just follow the media frenzy for the most part. The league who sold you Blaine Gabbert as a top ten pick and Russell Wilson as a nothing scrub are the benchmark of we go off? No thanks.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  16. JStokes

I see potentially 9.

Don't perpetuate the pcl'ing of the thread dude.

Don't do it.

_

17. JStokes

Btw, AJ is going to grab that job soon and he's not giving it up for 10 years.

_

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'd love to see where he gets the nine from.

19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I forgot Boyd. He's gonna awesome.

20. JStokes

Lots of dicks on this site.

_