So the fire Idzik goons got their way... happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 1, 2015.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Tanny had and spent a lot in the 2008 off season which laid the groundwork for our 2 runs to the AFCCG. How soon we forget.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

read the exchange again, i was tweaking hobbes about sanchez

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

So it's confirmed, both Idzik and Geno Smith post on this board.

Hobbes3259 likes this.
  4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Repost that with Sanchez playoff numbers.

5. FJF

old argument there, night shift junc.

stinkyB likes this.
  6. Hobbes3259

Man up.

Post his playoff stats.

Then Geno's (hahahahaha) and Fitz...

And tell me which of the three, could get you there with this team as currently constructed.

Sanchez has been one step short twice...with lesser weapons.

7. Hobbes3259

I was looking for a chevy...you gave me a dodge.

On past provable performance.

This is a Super Bowl contender.

With El nacho loco.

Better D, Better RB, Better Wr.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know that he had some scouting experience, but most of his career had been in administration, and that's what he was doing with the Seahawks when the Jets hired him. I don't necessarily think his drafts were a disaster, but when you have a 13 player draft and came away as little as he did, he didn't deserve the opportunity to run another draft.

As far as the Jags, they're clueless. That's why they've been so awful. He's their problem now.

The bottom line is that even if he was a good GM, Mac is obviously light years better in every facet of the job. You can hang with mediocrity or pretty good if you want. I'd rather hang my hat on great.

9. NCJetsfan

Evans didn't make the team. Dozier did not have a bad preseason.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

All Rex had to do was find a QB and he'd have been golden but that's his blind spot. Probably because he loves the defense so much.

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Mac is unproven. The bottom line with Mac will be the won lost record. And he's starting with a clean slate, his own coach and a new front office. OK so you say Idzik is proven to be bad. It's a legit opinion that I'm not really arguing. All I said is that he didn't get enough of a chance in two years. And the criticism that I've heard is not objective or fair. You can pick apart any franchise for not drafting a player or signing a free agent. He had a plan that Woody approved in terms of the way the franchise would operate. Then when they had one bad season and a lot of bad press Woody fired him. And I still think his two drafts in total were at least fair and at the time graded C+ to B. And getting the best player in the draft at overall 13 more than makes up for drafting a few guys in the 4th or 5th round who didn't make it. And if Geno ends up being the Jets starting Qb it makes his draft record at least ok.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Do you really think Rex wanted to stay with smith last year over Vick? Rex had no choice in a lot of the things he did I am guessing.

13. Br4d

I firmly believe that you can't get Rex to do something he doesn't want to do no matter how hard you try. Rex will always go with his guy over the other guy no matter what.

Sanchez got creamed in the Snoopy Bowl last year because Rex wasn't willing to lose the struggle over who to start at QB gracefully. Rex wanted Sanchez on the field so bad that he put him out there behind 3rd stringers in a meaningless game to prove he was the best QB on the roster.

All those stories about Doug Whaley going "rogue" in Buffalo? What else is a GM to do when his 1st round pick of 2 years ago is getting pushed aside against his wishes for the likes of Tyrod Taylor?

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I think he wanted vick and I think he was told to use smith, there is no other feasible explanation available.

15. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Good Lord....Can someone close this thread already....he's gone...it's done...they're all gone...good lord!!

The 1985er and FJF like this.
  16. FJF

Why would i cherry pick 6 games when i can look at Sanchez's whole career here?
    but respond how you want i shouldn't have brought it up. Its been rehashed too many times.
    sorry to the rest of the board for that

17. Br4d

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Now that's a great QB. If that's your criteria.

FJF likes this.
  18. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Yes. Whaley is a puppet and Rex is the puppet master. I thought it would take a year or so but chaos may be just around the corner.

19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Rex actually said it was his decision to start Geno over Vick after Geno sat out a few games and Vick sucked. This and other questions remain unanswered. The anti-Idzik spin was that Idzik forced Geno on Rex because he was Idzik's draft choice. It's what Mehta and others said at the time. If so then why was Rex able to bench Geno and start Vick. Also there were stories that it was Idzik who forced Rex to put Mark into the exhibition game he was injured in. And that Sanchez after he was injured went over to Idzik and was screaming and yelling at him. The basic indication I got watching everything between Rex and Idzik for two years was that Idzik tried to work with Rex. Wasn't micromanaging him. And genuinely wanted to win games and not tank the season so he could fire Rex. I saw the guy on the field and after games genuinely happy after wins. Then there was the time Rex went to his kid's college football game at Clemson the week before the Jets season started and was criticized by the press, etc. And Idzik backed him up and said he had told Rex it was ok for him to travel and go to the game. But when things turned south in 2014 you started getting all of this negative spin esp from Mehta and Cimini. And the pro Rex spin, of course. I can see the same thing happening to Doug Whaley in Buff.

20. NCJetsfan

As I said, Idzik's drafts weren't awful. At least he didn't trade up like Tanny did. I think it's legit to say, at least initially, that it was unfair that Idzik wasn't given another year. But when one considers all the facts of the moves that he did and didn't make (and that IS objective and fair, because it's part of the picture, part of the makeup of his plan and how he ran the team) in FA and the draft, what he did and didn't do in terms of the FO personnel in Scouting and Personnel, of the relationships he had with his CS, owner and FO personnel, and no telling what went on behind the scenes that we are not privy to, it creates a lot of doubt. Woody had already seen his team go from a playoff team in 2009 and 2010 down the crapper. With Idzik's laid back personality and methodical, deliberate (slow) management and leadership style, I can easily understand why that would not have inspired confidence in Woody that Idzik was going to create any real improvement in the team's fortunes in the immediate future. He may have spoken with Wolf and his other advisors earlier than was reported. Maybe they told him that Idzik was not the guy who was going to things done. If I was in Woody's shoes, I wouldn't have wanted someone who was methodical and deliberate. You don't want someone reckless and careless, but just because one goes slowly doesn't mean he is going to make the right decisions and conversely, just because one acts swiftly doesn't mean they're going to be reckless or careless. Some people are just better than others at what they do. They can spot the problems, issues at hand and have an immediate plan of how to go about handling those issues and resolving those problems. Others have to ponder and reflect, and move more slowly. As I think Hasty posted, there are no more 5 year plans in the NFL. Teams are expected to rebuild on the fly, and reshape the team's future quickly. Thus, it makes perfectly good sense for Woody to have fired Idzik and not given him another chance. Too much was at stake. Too little improvement had happened. Things were moving too slowly. When you screw up a draft, it doesn't just hurt the team for that year. It affects for the next 5-10 seasons. The Jets had already seen several bad drafts previously, and due to Tanny's constant trade ups, the cupboard was pretty bare. There were huge holes at certain positions and little or no quality depth. I'm sure that Woody thought that he couldn't wait one more season and hope that things got better. I think he knew that he HAD to get someone who could start turning things around quickly. Kudos to him for waking up as an owner or at least listening to others.

The bottom line is that Mac is better. Even if it wasn't fair or "right" to fire Idzik, the bottom line is that it made the Jets better. Mac IS proven. He has already done more to help this team, to strengthen it for both the short and long terms inwhat, nine months, than Idzik did in two years. Idzik had opportunities to reshape the scouting and personnel depts and for the most part did nothing. Mac immediately dramatically overhauled both, and we're already seeing the dividends. Mac targeted certain free agents, and with the exception of the top two OGs who wanted to remain on the west coast, he got every other FA he wanted AFAIK. At this point, every one of draft picks looks as if they could be a contributor. The team is deeper, better, it has no cap constraints going forward, it has a potential franchise QB in Petty, who already looks better than Geno in a number of ways. It has an improved Geno. Do you think Geno would have improved as much as he did during offseason if Idzik was still here? He may have, but I doubt it. I think the ways in which Mac, Bowles and Gailey spoke with Geno and worked with him is what has created the difference and whatever positive growth he has shown.

As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY possible negative so far is that Wilkerson hasn't been extended/re-signed, but for all we know, that may never have even been possible. Mo may be asking for J.J. Watt money or close to it. There has to be some rational explanation for why he has not been signed already. He was the Jets' best defensive player, and arguably their best player. Unless Mac is bigoted towards Muslims or something (which I doubt), the only other rational explanations I can think of or that I've seen posited as to why Mo hasn't already been re-signed, is that Mo is asking for a ridiculous amount of money or that Mac wants to see how he performs this season before he gives him big money.