So the fire Idzik goons got their way... happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 1, 2015.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Their evaluation of Geno as a potential starter in the future was influenced by his last 4 or 5 games in 2013. He looked a lot better and his stats showed it plus the team won games. So to me they shouldn't have drafted a Qb in 2014. They did bench Geno in 2014 and when he returned again looked like a better Qb. Not everybody thinks Geno is terrible. He's only in his third season.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Drafting a QB in 2014 was a non-starter unless the Jets were really prepared to move on from Geno after one season. There were too many holes elsewhere and too many aging players that would need to be replaced in the next few seasons to double up at QB.

It's normal for a team that commits to young guy at QB to stay with him for a couple of seasons if there's any real hope that he'll become a quality starter. Geno provided that hope at the end of 2013 and we were kind of locked in for 2014 at that point unless Rex had gotten fired after 2013. A new head coach is always likely to re-assess QB completely and make changes if he sees the need.

I think the Jets ability to evaluate QB's has been recently and was in the 2013/2014 period kind of shaky. Hopefully the new team is better at evaluating the talent it has on hand at any given time and finding new opportunities to improve the talent at the game's most important position.

You never know when a guy will suddenly take off and become a quality starter. That's the problem even good franchises face on a regular basis when they suddenly don't have a #1 QB. The best franchises in the AFC over the last decade plus have been the Patriots, the Ravens and the Steelers. The Patriots had Bledsoe and lucked into Brady. The Ravens and Steelers both went through long wilderness periods before they found their QB's. The coaching and overall talent evaluation outfits on both teams helped them weather the Kordell Stewart/Tommy Maddox and Tony Banks/Kyler Boller eras without sucking. The Ravens even won a Super Bowl during their drought.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Please provide your list that of qbs sucked for two straight years in the NFL and then because stars later down the road, I would love to see who they are.

rammagen likes this.
  4. Br4d

Terry Bradshaw, Dan Fouts, Steve Young, Warren Moon and Troy Aikman to name 5. Those are just the Hall of Famers who sucked early on and became great. There are other guys, like Alex Smith, Drew Brees, Brian Sipe, Jake Plummer, Jim Everett and Dan Pastorini who looked very overmatched in their first couple of seasons but became stable QB's for their teams after that.

There's no way to tell when a guy is going through early adjustment pains and will emerge as a competent or better QB and when he just sucks.

Ralebird and Acad23 like this.
  5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

vinnie!

Br4d likes this.
  6. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I'm still in shock we took Jalen over Bryant

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

especially now with bryant's 4 game drug suspension, seems like such a no brainer in retrospect

Jets69 likes this.
  8. Will

Will Well-Known Member

At least he made the final 53 roster and stuck making BIG plays along the way - I agree as few boards I saw had Jalen rated ahead of him NFL had Jalen's DRAFT PROJECTION as Rounds 5-6 while they had Bryant as 4-5 & "Bryant has a crazy wide receiver skill set, but he's a one-year wonder. This guy has some scary talent, but also some immaturity issues." -- Mike Mayock.

I really wanted Bryant in Rd 4 as I liked his deep threat ability - oh well if we had taken him good chance he and Sheldon would have been busted earlier and suspended last year as well :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. Br4d

Don't know how I missed him. Probably because I liked him so much.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You could have said Peyton Manning but I don't think any of them flat out sucked like smith has, they all showed talent even though they weren't winning.

rammagen likes this.
  11. Br4d

Terry Bradshaw threw 6 TD passes as a rookie with 24 Int's. You think he looked at all good doing that? Peyton Manning never looked bad at any point in 1998 for the Colts. He looked like a tremendous talent who didn't know enough yet to turn that into tremendous results. Very few rookies throw for as many TD's as he did. yeah, the Int's were frustrating but they came with the large number of throws into traffic that produced everything else also.

Now Vinny really had problems his second year in his first exposure as the starter. 13 TD's and 35 Int's worth. He completed 47.6% of his passes and his adjusted yards per pass attempt was 4.1 - which is probably the worst figure in history for somebody who had 500+ drop backs in a season.

He's an example of a guy who looked completely over matched, can't play at the NFL level at all and yet turned out to be a decent QB for his career and an excellent QB for the Jets near the end of it.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i'm not sure how many big plays he would've made had he been drafted here, i am sure he would've still earned a suspension and this thread would still exist though
    just saying

The 1985er likes this.
  13. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Isn't that the truth, in time we will have a massive amount of money invested in the DL alone depending if were able to keep the core members, it doesn't seem likely

14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

You asked a question that you either thought he couldn't answer, or you had no idea the actual answer to. He was spot on. They were all atrocious when they started. Just stop.

15. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

It isn't too early to call 2014 a bust when most of these guys are playing in another league or are greeters at Walmart. I reject the dismissal of criticism because many of the picks are late rounders. Idzik should've been able to get more than one situational player out of that many picks. This league relies quite a bit on late round/UDFA talent. BTW, did Idzik sign a UDFA of note when he was here?

rammagen likes this.
  16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Well Marcus Williams for one via Houston. Rontez Miles. Zach Sudfeld via NEP. Chris Pantale, Dalton Freeman, Brent Qvale.

#396 pclfan, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Fran Tarkenton, too.

18. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

At least one of his draft picks seems to be coming around. Geno is not pressing charges against IK, but I'm betting he never paid the money back.

19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

A good way to get punched out again.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Especially since IK got cut from the Bills. He's gonna need that cash to get by until his next payday. Geno should just lay low for awhile.