Week 1: Cleveland Browns @ New York Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

We're just a week away from the opening matchup! Here's what I've got as far as a Browns "scouting report":

Returning Stars:

-The Browns feature one of the elite safety tandems in the NFL with rangy free safety Tashaun Gipson (6 interceptions in just 11 games last season - the Jets entire team had 6 in 5 more games) and Donte Whitner, one of the hardest hitting strong safeties in the game.

-Joe Haden is still their CB1, and is widely respected as one of the best at his position.

-Cleveland's offensive line is absolutely stacked, led by future Hall of Fame LT Joe Thomas, Pro-Bowl Center Alex Mack (coming off of a broken leg), and Left Guard Joel Bitonio.

-Paul Kruger and Karlos Dansby headline a solid linebacking corps.

Key Additions:

-Cleveland ranked dead last in run defense in 2014, allowing 141.6 ground yards per game. Recognizing this, they signed defensive tackle Randy Starks in free agency, as well as drafting 6'2 340 pound monster Danny Shelton (DT - Washington) with the 12th overall pick.

-The Browns signed former Packers cornerback Tramon Williams (31) to play across from veteran Joe Haden. There are lingering concerns about last year's first round pick Justin Gilbert, who had a disappointing rookie season and has continued to struggle in camp. The Williams signing seems to be a hedging of that bet, saving the team from having to rely on the 2nd year starter.

-Their new starting quarterback is Josh McCown, formerly of the Chicago Bears and Tampa Bay Bucs (among others). There is optimism in Cleveland that his struggles from last year can be attributed to injury and a porous Tampa Bay o-line, and that a new environment can help him regain his 2013 form (13 TDs - 1 INT filling in for an injured Jay Cutler). One thing's for sure: the offensive line won't be a problem this time around.

-The team signed Dwayne Bowe (Chiefs) and Brian Hartline (Dolphins) to help Andrew Hawkins carry the load at receiver. Despite the additions, it's not a very fearsome group of receivers, which makes it easy to explain why they're taking a look at former Raiders' quarterback Terrelle Pryor at wideout. They need help outside. McCown has a better o-line this time around, but he'll miss Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans (his Tampa Bay receivers).

Key Losses:

- Pass rusher Jabaal Sheard is now a Patriot, in what I thought was one of the more underrated offseason signings.

- Cornerback Buster Skrine will be lining up for the team in Green on Sunday.

- Star wide receiver Josh Gordon is suspended for the entire 2015 season. Shocker.

Most Intriguing Matchup:

Jets Defensive Line vs Browns Offensive Line:

This would be a lot more fun with Sheldon Richardson (suspended), but it's still a matchup of top 5 units, with Muhammad Wilkerson, Damon Harrison and Leonard Williams lining up across Joe Thomas, Joel Bitonio and Alex Mack. What wins, an unstoppable force or an immovable object? We'll find out soon enough. Josh McCown better hope it's the immovable object, or we could see Johnny Manziel.

Mismatch of the Game:

Jets Cornerbacks vs. Browns Wide Receivers:

I didn't have to think too hard about this one. It's Dwayne Bowe, Brian Hartline and Andrew Hawkins up against Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine. If they can't hold McCown and company under 300 yards then we've got a problem.

Keys to a Win:

Run the Ball; Defend the Run:

These are going to the keys to a lot of games this season, but they especially reign true in this matchup. The Jets figure to be able to hold down the Browns' passing attack, with a rebuilt secondary and an anemic opposing unit. They also could have a very hard time throwing the ball themselves, facing up against what I believe to be a top 5 secondary. Thus, this game will be won in the trenches. The offense needs to take advantage of last year's 32nd ranked run defense to sustain drives and win time of possession. Chris Ivory will play a huge role in this game. Similarly, the D-line needs to win my "most intriguing matchup" and limit running backs Isaiah Crowell and rookie Duke Johnson as much as possible.

Prediction:

This game actually scares me a lot. The Browns have a good takeaway defense and I can see them baiting Ryan Fitzpatrick into a couple game changing mistakes. If that happens, the Jets could very easily be 0-1. However, I expect a heavy, heavy dose of Chris Ivory (pick him up in those 1 week fantasy leagues) and for the Jets to play keep away as much as possible. Fitzpatrick has a horrible day throwing the ball against blanket coverage, but the run game gets us into scoring position a couple times and Marshall breaks open just enough. It's the home opener too, so there will be an actual crowd advantage unlike most regular season games at MetLife. I'll be there for my first of 2 games this season.

JETS 21 BROWNS 13.

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Sounds funny to say but this is a must win, if we lose and miss the playoffs, we will look back at this game, realistically Jets > Browns, 20-16

3. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I think Cleveland will try to exploit our poor pass coverage of TE's. Our LB's look like they are in cement when it comes to this.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I can't see the Jets losing this game, but we are the Jets so anything is possible. Just lean on the run game, take some occasional shots down field and let the defense carry us and we should be fine.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Especially since the 3 games following it are tough: @ IND (MNF), PHI, MIA. I don't think saying it's a "must-win" is necessarily to far off-base. A loss here could make for a brutal opening quarter, and that sets the tone for the season.

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

LB's, glaring weakness, old and slow and horrible In pass coverage, TNJ

7. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Starting Ivory in a few weekly fantasy games.

Still unsure what kind of team the Jets will field this year.

And damn you Sheldon.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I rarely feel this way about Jet games, but I think our starters will be happily resting come the middle of the 4th. I think Ivory and the O Line are going to control the game and limit the TOP for Cleveland. I can't see them moving the ball in any facet either. I know we can't cover TEs well but they don't have any real talent at that position. Their safeties are going to have to worry about Decker and Kerley and the middle of the field is going to be wide open.

24-10 Jets

JetLifeLo likes this.
  9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

There are no words for this so I'll just make it bold.

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

They may try, but I think Bowles will add another safety to the mix and remove a LB if that's the case, he did it with Arizona, he could also play zone and force the Browns to be perfect on every drive.

Unlike Rex, I think Bowles is more flexible and will not force a defensive scheme just because it's what he uses, even if it's not working.

You don't always need a LB to cover a TE, there are multiple ways to do it, and honestly, the only TE that I worry about as a jet is Gronk.

11. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

24-13 Jets Ivory has the best game of his career

Freddy Mondo and JetLifeLo like this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think it's going to be a tough game, Cleveland had a very good chance to make the playoffs last year but their QB situation screwed them up.

I'm not taking anything for granted, I know that it's about match ups, and defensively they matchup well, it's going to come down to turn overs, close game with winner of TO battle winning the game.

13. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I watched the first half of the Browns/Bills preseason game when most of the starters were out there. Josh McCown looked rough throwing two picks early. If our Dline can create pressure, he's prone to big mistakes.

Both the Browns and Jets rosters have some similarities and their strengths are also on the defensive end, but we definitely have more talent in the skill positions.

This could be a low scoring, try not to make the first mistake kind of game....... Jets 17, Browns 13.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I too have Ivory on a couple of fantasy teams and I think he may have his best year ever if he can stay healthy..he certainly looked the best I have ever seen him look since he got here in the preseason.

15. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Well browns rush defense is horrible thats why I'm saying Ivory has best game of his career but i do think he has a good season either way

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Browns have no offense. McCown will have a back-breaking turnover and Ivory has an excellent game. Fitzpatrick plays it safe - Jets win 24-10.

17. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

We should absolutely win this game.

18. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I've felt the same way with the last two openers ( Oakland and Tampa) Should have been "easy" wins right? Well, both games were ugly/close and in the case of Tampa......we caught a huge break at the end........

19. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

I think the keys to the game will be a) Fitz managing the game, not turning the ball over and b) the defense creating 1-2 turnovers, putting heat on the QB. The running game for both teams will not be that good. The Browns have a good front 7, and we will obviously shut their running game down, I'm not worried about their crappy backs. So it will come down to the Quarterbacks. My money is on Fitz & Chan.

20. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Cro will have a pick6, Ivory 100+ yards and Geno won't throw 2+ INT's
    Jets win 23-16.