So the fire Idzik goons got their way... happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Sure, there were plenty of people here still singing praise to Idzik even then, just go back and look at the threads because I'm sure they wouldn't admit it now.

James Hasty and FlaJet like this.
  2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

lol some guys still belive Idzik had a plan,He played the Revis trade masterfully?He had a chance to resign him and he sat there holding his dick.Idzik was the worst move we have ever made as a franchise ......His plan was to run the franchise into the ground as fast as possible.Google Mike Macaganen pics if you want to see what a competent GM looks like up close

ajax, James Hasty and chris5533 like this.
  3. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Yup they did the great.
    [​IMG]

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

So, out of the Idzik 19, we can say that:

Milliner
    Richardson
    Smith
    Pryor
    Amaro (IR)
    are starters and:

Winters
    Aboushi
    Enunwa
    Reilly
    Bohannon
    will make the roster in 2015.

10 out of 19 really isn't all that bad. Not stellar, but not all that bad. I guess its relative to the talent (or lackthereof) already on the roster.

I'm still glad that Idzik is no longer "shopping for the groceries". Mac just looks like he's more capable and doesn't need the OJT that Idzik clearly needed.

FJF likes this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Cman I have to disagree with your starters evaluation. Geno, Pryor,and Amaro have shown nothing that would make them competent starters in this league. Milliner I give an incomplete (again) because he's hurt.

ajax and NJBeliever like this.
  6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You have to also look at the round they were drafted in vs. their impact on the roster as well to determine if it was a worthwhile pick.

7. Cman68

With respect to the rest of the league, I would agree with you. Relative to what was on the Jets roster when these guys came aboard, I would say its pretty accurate. Milliner appears to be injury prone. Pryor was playing out of position. Geno has been marginal but factor in the driftwood we had a the WR spot and a rapidly aging OLine. Geno was an upgrade over Sanchez and Simms (Or so Idzik thought) but it's hard to make a fair judgement given the circumstances at the time. Amaro looked good compared to Cumberland and Winslow.

I think sometimes we as fans overrate the talent on our team. Rex was so involved with the defense and his own ego that he played guys out of position (Coples and Pryor) and delegated the entire offense to his OC. We rated the D pretty high and the O pretty low and relative to the rest of the league, we were right but even on our vaunted D, we still had holes. I'm resisting the urge to play the "IF" game here since it generally is a meaningless exercise.

Again, relative to the rest of the league, the Idzik 10 (discounting the 9 stiffs) don't impress. Relative to the Jets, they were all serviceable and even with the new regime, some will survive.

We all give this FO/CS more credit for overall talent eval than the old leadership so lets see how this plays out. We're still very early in the new regime.

#348 Cman68, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It would have been really nice if the Jets swept out the front office when they brought Idzik in. Instead he arrived to be a figurehead for dysfunction. Predictably he played the role well, just as you'd have expected a consensus-building guy with a low key personality to do.

That 2 year blackhole didn't have to happen. He should have been able to make his own hires across the personnel department so that he was at least building consensus among a team of guys he assembled.

I think the Jets only got a couple of players likely to be really good out of the 2 drafts, those being Richardson and Pryor. I think Milliner could be good if he stays healthy but obviously that's iffy at best at this point.

We did get some decent second tier talent that will be around for awhile in Enunwa, Reilly and whoever survives the OL crunch. McDougle is a wildcard also. He's got a lot of intangibles and some real talent but he's also an injury case.

The Chris Ivory trade was a great trade. I challenge anybody to say otherwise given what we've seen out of him.

9. Cman68

That was a hard lesson for Woody to learn wasn't it... That "mix and match" shit just doesn't work for leadership building. New GM should always be allowed to make whatever changes they see fit or the hire just doesn't work. One day Idzik might become a ace GM but it was too soon for him to be in that role here.

Br4d likes this.
  10. Br4d

Keeping Rex was ok, if you believe that he would have won given enough talent - particularly on the offensive side of the ball, which I do. It was not being able to sweep out the muck that had built up in the personnel department that caused the issues.

The problem was that Rex was responsible for most of the talent the Jets brought in under his aegis. That gave him an over-inflated view of his role in the organization.

It would have taken a completely fresh set of evaluators who weren't already under his thumb to change the Jets talent trajectory across the organization. That didn't happen and so the Jets just sunk further into the muck.

Now we have fresh eyes everywhere and we're starting to pull ourselves out.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

You can also throw in Walter Powell ,even though he wasn't drafted by us .He looks like a diamond in the rough.Makes no diffrence ,Idzik is still the worst GM in NFL history either way...a couple of decent players won't change that

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Matt Millen was easily the worst GM in the history of the league by such a wide margin that nobody even comes in second place.

FJF, Hobbes3259, ajax and 1 other person like this.
  13. Cman68

Completely forgot about Powell. Nice call!

Guess we can refer to them as a group now as: Idzik's Eleven? :)

14. Br4d

Drafted Joey Harrington and 3 WR's in the 1st round in 5 years. Then he finally got it right with Calvin Johnson in 2007 but the Lions went 0-16 the next year.

abyzmul likes this.
  15. Br4d

This was Idzik's shot. He's not a young guy by any means. He was over 50 when the Jets hired him and teams don't like to hire guys much older than that as GM unless they have a long track record of excellence.

He made the choice to come in with the condition that he wouldn't be allowed to hire many people. I'm guessing he's ok with it and will recover to be a decent part of the FO wherever he goes.

Cman68 likes this.
  16. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

I was talking about the 2014 draft.

17. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

So true. But Idzik gets honrable mention. :rolleyes:

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yet, Like Rich Gannon, is a commentator whose opinions earn him money...SMH

19. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

Actually, Idzik would've been considered good had he snatched Revis from waivers a year after trading him to TB and didn't draft Anthony Schlegels in the 3rd and 4th round of 2014. I don't think those are big if's. It was pretty obvious that the picks after the second round were very risky.

VaBchJet likes this.