Geno out with broken jaw. Wow. IKE released after altercation.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by skoobz2001, Aug 11, 2015.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

James Hasty likes this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Richie Incognito is a former pro bowl guard that currently plays for the Buffalo Bills.

Jonathan Martin is a former first round pick at offensive tackle that played for three teams in four years before dropping out of the NFL,

I think you need to check the facts supporting your argument.

3. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I'm sure Esiason went his entire career without getting in an argument in the locker room. The only reason he never had his jaw broken was because that argument wasn't with IK. Who expects a guy to punch you in the jaw? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it has anything to do with leadership.

4. James Hasty

Perhaps Geno could have politely declined to pay.

Instead he either promised to pay without following through or was rude about it.

Either way Geno showed poor judgement and the result not only hurt him but the whole team.

5. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I don't think you understood a work of my post.

6. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

That's where you are wrong. You are basically saying that Geno should never have an argument. That what this was.....an argument or misunderstanding. Let me ask you a question. Do you work? If so have you ever had a disagreement or argument at work? Did it warrant someone getting their jaw broken? This is pretty black and white. People argue. Teammates argue and disagree. It's not a matter of fault. It's a matter of someone going over the top and sucker punching the other because of an argument. That's not the behavior of a rational person.

You say failed to settle amicably? So what should he have done? He didn't pay him exactly when IK wanted to be paid so he didn't settle it amicably? Seriously please explain cause I am just not getting it. So because IK said I want my money now and gene either didn't have it or was prepared to pay him later, which is what was reported, he is partly to blame?

FJF and Walt White like this.
  7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If he intended to pay back the money at least give him the chance to do so. This is 100% on IK.

Walt White likes this.
  8. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Well, a lot of players like Sheldon are gun lovers. Just glad they weren't carrying in the locker room. We might not have a team. ;)

TNJet likes this.
  9. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

lol you seriously need to stop posting. So since Geno, according to you didnt "politely decline to pay" he is to blame? He said he was going to pay him later! lol

BigJenks likes this.
  10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Holy ...

Why did he hit him?

11. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

IKE should have never hit him, but the ultimate bitch move here is the "I was going to pay him, I just hadn't gotten around to it yet" sh*t that's coming out now. It's a month later - anyone who's ever wagered/owed anything knows that a month is plenty of time to pay (assuming you have the means, which Geno obviously does). Anything more than that is 100% dragging your feet on purpose to passive aggressively f*ck with the other party or an attempt to welch on the money, both of which are blatant disrespect.

It's one of those things where I can't stand by what IKE did - 100% stupid and not something I'd have done - but it HAPPENED. Geno's jaw is busted, and thus a huge portion of the blame lays with him, in my opinion. Not the blame for IKE doing something irrational, violent, illegal, and stupid, but instead the blame for not tying up losing ends, keeping his house in order, etc. You're an NFL QB with a career at stake - don't play childish games.

I'm a cyclist and often find myself at 30-40 MPH on twisty mountain descents. Even though I am entitled to the whole lane by myself, I divide it into half mentally and stay on the half closest to the shoulder at all costs. Why? Because I have a wife and kids and if some idiot comes flying up around a turn over the double yellow center line and puts me in traction or worse, it doesn't help me that "I was right, he was over the line". There's no reason to play on the periphery when you don't have to.

rammagen and PulseJet like this.
  12. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

thank you. Still can't believe people don't get this so basic premise that this is not how rational people settle differences.

13. James Hasty

I understood every word of your post.

I am not so sure that you did.

14. BroadwayRay

BroadwayRay New Member

They're both at fault. Geno, as the nominal leader of the team, had an obligation to smooth over the situation for the sake of the team. He should have repaid IK immediately and maybe even given him some extra dough for his charity to make up for the inconvenience caused by his absence. I can easily see Rogers, Luck, Manning or even that a-hole Brady doing exactly just that if they were in that situation. That of course doesn't excuse the punch. IK is obviously a blockhead and needed to be cut. But I bet there are players on the Jets who have lost respect for Geno as a result of all this, assuming they had any to begin with.

hwismer and FlaJet like this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not quite the same thing. Visa is not a person. Visa doesn't care if you pay or not since they'll just ruin your credit and down the road, take you to court if there's enough money involved. People otoh get a bit upset when they feel like they're being stiffed on substantial cash they had laid out. That's just money gone. A lot of these players come from the hood and everybody knows the rules. You owe, you pay up. All part of being a grown man with integrity. Especially when you have the cash. Even if Geno didn't think he owed IK anything, $600 isn't gonna break him and paying it would have spared him a broken jaw. In the hood, that kinda debt very well could get you killed. Not saying that's good, but that's just the way it is.

TNJet likes this.
  16. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

So now this is a manhood thing? Or street code? cmon now. C'man you are better than that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. James Hasty

Right on the money.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

IK was clearly to blame but not 100% of it.

Geno had a share of the blame in this and it is unfortunate that some of you seem to be letting him slide.

A broken jaw may be punishment enough but if our front office turns a blind eye to obvious red flags they could make some horrible decisions regarding our future at the QB position.

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I can see if it were months and IK still didn't get his money back.

19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If somebody shot IK on the spot for that I'd be glad right now.

Just kidding. :)

It's prolly best to let this ride, but if IK was arrested and sued for this I would be glad

20. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

IK was a douche to demand payment after Geno's friend died in a motorcycle accident.

It sounds like IK was mad cuz Geno missed his little HS football camp.

NCJetsfan likes this.