Jets are kicking the tires...Eyeing OL Evan Mathis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by matt robinson 17, Aug 1, 2015.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If you can afford it, talk him down a third and sign another beast

2. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Do they even HAVE ten million dollars under the cap now? The cap's actually kind of a big deal at this point especially given they need to keep space for a Mo extension.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Mathis will have to have a contending team lose a starting guard to injury or come down further on his demands if he wants to be employed this year. I'm glad the Jets are sniffing around and waiting for the price to come down. Could be a nice preseason pickup.

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Blah, blah, blah another 40 years without a SB blah, blah, blah ...........

No guts no glory!

Sign the beast!

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The direct result of failure to consider OL during the draft. The jets should have taken Jackson over McDougle in round 3 in 2014 and the should have considered OL before round 5 this year. Not taking Collins with one of 2 7th round picks was also stupid. Generally I like the direction the new GM and coach are taking but they have ignored OL and it could bite them.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Collins threatened not to sign if he was drafted late... Can't really blame the front office for not taking a shot on him.

That being said I would have rather drafted Collins with the 7th than trade it for turd Zac Stacy.

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I see what you're trying to say. I think we as fans just care about overpaying for a player because it could affect the cap long term.

Ps. No way a rg being good or bad makes a 3 game swing lol. That's just laughable. Rg is important though true.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wonder what happened to him.
    tom,

I'm no fan of Idzik, but CB was as big if not a bigger need than OG last year. I'm sure that if there was any hesitation, it was Rex that swung the pick towards the D rather than the OL. They could have gone OL earlier and I would have been happy if they had, but I can understand why they didn't. Colon's play is declining and the penalties are of course an issue, but I'm sure they thought they could correct the penalties. I'm sure that they looked at tape of Dozier, Aboushi and Winters and thought that they had some potential or they would have. IMO both Mac and Bowles have shown themselves to be smart, thoughtful football men. Until they show that my trust and faith in them isn't warranted, I'm going to trust that they're making the decisions that they think are best for the team. They have already had contact with Mathis and his agents, and I'm sure that if none of the present OGs distinguish themselves in TC, that they will sign Mathis or another camp cut that they think will help solidify the RG spot. They aren't Idzik who is just going to sit on his hands and hope things work out or be willing to write off this season. They aren't Rex who only cares about the D and is clueless when it comes to offense.

As for Collins, as Mo said, they had made it clear that they would not sign if a team took him with anything lower than a 2nd round pick. Mac would have just been wasting the 7th rounder to take Collins.

9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I certainly agree with you that Rex had much to say on the draft, and that is the reason why they always went for D. Regardless of the need for CB, McDougle was rated by many as a 7th rounder at best while Jackson was a late first rounder--Idzik/Rex missed a great opportunity to beef up OL--McDougle may turn out to be good, but the jets could have had him with one of the many picks they had in later rounds in 2014. I really hope the jets don"t ignore OL in 2016 draft because their currently OL is old and frankly shaky at best.

ajax likes this.
  10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

For a 7th round pick I would have called Collins' bluff-- I and several other people on this board posted on draft day that we should take a 7th round flyer on Collins. If he fails to report, big whooppee, it's just one of 2 7th round picks

11. NCJetsfan

True about McDougle and Jackson. I liked Jackson a lot and was disappointed when the Jets didn't draft him.

I definitely believe that Mac and Bowles realize how shaky the OL is. I'm in total agreement with you that unless Carpenter and one of the OG candidates (or Mathis is signed) step up at RG, that this needs to be a priority in next year's draft. I wanted them to get Brick's replacement in this year's draft. I definitely think they should find his replacement in next year's draft.

I'm really hoping that the light has gone on with Geno and that Petty will develop so the QB position will be set; that Devin Smith will prove to be a great pick, and that Marshall will stay healthy and play for a couple of more years, and that all the defensive draft picks and FAs this year will pan out so that the Jets can and will make revamping the OL next off season their #1 priority. The RT position needs to be upgraded, both OG spots solidified/upgraded and Brick's successor found.

tomdeb likes this.
  12. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

This.

I would have easily drafted him with one of our 7th round picks, and if he really didn't report, then oh well.

ajax, James Hasty and tomdeb like this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I get that alot of you guys hate REX, but do you think the dude who preached "GROUND N POUND" whenever he could would disregard the Oline like that, especially after what we've seen out Idzik's decisions so far?

EDIT: btw, I've been harping on the status of our O-line for 2 seasons so far, especially this past draft after witnessing the Winters trainwreck. It's the weak point of this team imo..... (yes, including Geno.... but I hope they BOTH prove me wrong ;)

#53 stinkyB, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  14. NCJetsfan

Yes, I do. I think Rex is stupid period, but he's especially dense when it comes to offense and judging talent. In addition, I think that he can't help himself. He's so stuck in his DC mind set, that when push comes to shove, he's always going to opt for a defensive player over an offensive player, no matter how great the need on offense. We just saw it happen with the Jets too many times and with two different GMs for it not to be true.

tomdeb likes this.
  15. stinkyB

You do realize his 1st draft was ALL offense?

16. NCJetsfan

That was one draft, it was an absolute necessity, and he was a rookie HC. At that point in time he was making some effort to become a complete HC rather than just a glorified DC. He had a million other things to concern himself with and probably didn't have much time to think about the draft or players he wanted.

17. stinkyB

Oh, of course.......

Jake likes this.
  18. They shouldn't have to resort to signing this guy w/ their current circumstances.

Are you kidding me w/ this? Between Aboushi,Winters,& Dozier..not ONE of those guys can step up after a year or 2 to develop? This might be the biggest failure of the Idzik regime..Add William Campbell to the mix. Not ONE OL prospect stepped up & won a single job. The idea that Idzik likely thought he was rebuilding a good portion of the Jets starting 5 is laughable.

If I'm Bowles..if this holds true & not one of the Idzik OL draftees can win a starting job..I hope he releases the whole damn lot of them.They've been given both time & opportunity..no empathy or excuses.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Taking 256th rated player McDougle over 30th rated player OL Jackson in 3rd round of 2014 was Idzik/Rex's biggest mistake. Gee, I wonder if Rex had any say in taking a very low ranked defensive player over a very highly ranked offensive lineman. Dumb dips.

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

You forgot that they also let Slauson slip through their fingers.