I'm getting worried about Mo

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GWjet, May 19, 2015.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we franchise him and he walks we get two first rounders.

Otherwise we get nothing at all.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'd get a 3rd round compensatory pick.

3. James Hasty

We are the Jets, we will get a fourth rounder unless we sign a notable free agent.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Do you get 2 first rounders from the team that would sign him?

Also considering that the DT franchise tag is astronomical (Suh Detroit) I doubt we franchise him... It's probably north of 17 mil and that's too much for Mo.

So we should either trade him now or sign him long term...

A late 3rd is a slap in the face for Mo...

I wonder what his value is on the market?

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Truth be told we could have let Harris walk and signed Brandon Spikes to much more team friendly deal. However I am not complaining, if Mo doesn't wanna play out his deal then just move him for a 1st, 3rd, etc. Revis was worth the trouble as he was the best player by far at his position while Mo isn't even the best player at his position on his own team.

6. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

the difference is, revis deserves the money, and is an all-pro player at a much more important position.

Harris is overpaid, not close to an all-pro, and plays a much less important position

i dont think you can compare the 2.

i also think you can live alot easier without harris vs. without revis

7. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

this is where i was always at. i dont care if spikes isnt as good as harris... he is still a solid 2 down player who is really good against the run. and with the money you save that can go towards mo its worth the minimal downgrade, especially for a team with so many options in coverage that will play 5-6 DBs on passing downs anyway that its unlikely harris sees the field too often on third downs

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nah, it's due to the contract amount and playing time, plus any bonuses like making the Pro Bowl, All Pro, etc. There's no way the league would be able to screw us out of the 3rd round comp pick unless we signed an upper echelon FA.

9. James Hasty

You must be new here.

The league has been kicking the Jets when they are up and twice as bad when they are down for the last 30 years.

10. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The Jets have been kicking themselves for the last 46 years, lets not blame it solely on the league

11. James Hasty

I will concede your point but the Jets are not working alone.

While the Jets have been busy drowning themselves the league has always pitched in by throwing them the occasional anchor.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Asinine statement.

Would you rather have Revis or Timmons / Patrick Willis?

I would easily take the linebacker. The ILB position is very important, it's more important then the CB position - you can win SBs with average corners. Revis and Sherman are 2 big time CBs that have won SBs, but you look back to previous years and normally you always see a ILB performing at a high level. Actually, you can make an argument that Bobby Wagner is a better defensive player then Sherman.

Junior Seau & Teddy Brusci w/ the Pats
    Ray Lewis w/ the Ravens (twice)
    Jack Lambert
    Mike Singletary & Dick Butkus

A great linebacker brings so much more to the table then a shut-down cornerback. I didn't want Revis for that price-tag. Harris is not being paid like an all-pro as well so I don't see your point.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The tag for a 4-3 defensive tackle puts him at around $13 million.

For a 3-4 defensive end his contact would be about $10-$11 million dollars with the tag. That's the fair number for him. You place him between Watt at around $17 mill and Calais Campbell at $11 leaving Wilk at $13 at most.

Campbell puts up about 7 sacks a year (more than Mo) while he is most likely slightly lower rated against the run but also bats down more balls. That's whose contract the Jets should be comparing it to. If he and his agent want a comparable contact to Watt who has two 20 sack seasons in 4 years, then they can trade him away without feeling guilty. If he's willing to come down to earth for $11-$12 million then you can move to sign him.

I really don't think you can justify signing 3-4 ends for any more than that outside of Watt. Look at the good to great 3-4 defenses of the past 15 years. The Steelers in particular would never sign a 3-4 end to the kind of money we're talking about, they'd rather invest in linebackers and safeties. If we go and give him big money like the Ravens did Ngata we better be sure that the player will have some type of value on the back end of the deal like Ngata did.

14. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Nope, we'd get a 3rd rounder so long as another team signs him to a market-value contract and we don't get more free agents than we lose.

That said Mo Wilk >>>>> a 3rd rounder.

15. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

I think you are both right. We have 4mm in cap space after having $40mm coming in. Theoretically, every big signing that went to a FA reduced chance of getting a deal done for Mo. Revis is making more money than Harris, but Harris is getting $15mm over 2 years, which could have gone to Mo.

We haven't really had to be in this situation of extending young talent much because of our poor draft record in first and second round ( Kyle Wilson / Sanchez / Gholston) and Revis was let go... but we have to figure out a way to keep the picks we actually hit on to become a sustainably successful franchise.

16. max

max Active Member

"Yup I see how this works" - Mo

17. NJJets20

NJJets20 Active Member

Well this doesn't make me feel great about the negotiations.

18. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Sucks for Mo, I just hope we can get something done soon.

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the market has been set ... mo's tweet came after news of cam jordans extension leaked

jordan and wilk are similar players (jordan slightly better as a pass rusher, mo betta against the run) ... 5 year extension, $60 mill with $33.8 mill guaranteed. this is tacked on to his fifth year option so its really 6 years, $67 mill

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/06/cam_jordan_2.html

BacktoQueens likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's the market value for extending your excellent young 3-4 DE who is not named J.J. Watt. The open market value would be a bit higher, since bad management teams will drive up the price in the bidding process. Mo's not on the open market yet. He's got to get through another NFL season without blowing something out to get there. He really should look at Jordan's deal as the benchmark and take what the Jets are offering. If he's lucky the deal is still on the table after Williams got drafted.

hornblower and Big Blocker like this.