Jets release Matt Simms

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Big Cat, May 28, 2015.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Simms is finally gone. Maybe we can get a worth while development QB on the practice squad now.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

In order for Simms to get the "shot" you think you should've gotten, he would've needed to play like Brees and Rodgers wrapped into one.

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, like Wayne Chrebet did to make the Jets. Actually Simms was always a long shot to make the team since he was a UFA. But he did play well in practice and exhibition games good enough to make the team. You keep thinking of reasons why not to give Simms legit playing time. I can think of just one. The starters sucked.

FlaJet likes this.
  4. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

he didnt get a chance to play because he isnt an NFL calibur player and is only in the league because of his dad. he wasnt even good enough to see the field in college, and when he did, he was extremely underwhelming

other then his size, he has 0 NFL qualty tangibles

DoubleDecker87 likes this.
  5. jerseyjay14

yes, he could. he could be much worse. you know who else is unproven as an NFL QB? every poster on this board.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

dude has a cannon of an arm.

7. jerseyjay14

id go with simms. cause it would have gauranteed us the #1 pick every year he started

8. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I guess overall #6 wasn't bad enough for you.

Jets69 likes this.
  9. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

That alone would be an improvement over Geno. :eek:

Jets69 and jerseyjay14 like this.
  10. jerseyjay14

no, it wasnt high enough to take mariotta or winston. if simms played we would have sucked enough to get one of them.

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You're 100% sure that Geno would have been better than Simms.

12. jerseyjay14

of course. Geno sucks, he is a terrible NFL QB. but he is still an NFL QB.

Matt Simms didnt belong in a college program, let alone on an NFL team. he wont be in the league at all in a short time. i would say he sucks, but that would acknowledge he is an NFL player, which i dont think he is

DoubleDecker87 likes this.
  13. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm tired of making this point. If you want guaranteed losses ok. I give the guy a shot.

14. jerseyjay14

now you get it, the only reason to start simms was if you want gauranteed losses and a shot at the #1 pick

with simms at qb we go 0-16

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You know that for a fact.

16. jerseyjay14

its sports, the outcome is never a fact. flukey things could happen like we could return 3 kicks for touchdowns or the defense could get scores. but it is as close to a certainty as you can get. take a below average team and give thema highschool quarterback and you are very unlikely to win a game

17. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

The Jets will carry 3 QBs on the active roster this year, bet. They aren't going to expose Petty on the PS. I seriously doubt they waste a PS spot on Heaps

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You have a right to your opinion up to a certain extent. But there's a limit to accepting sheer close mindedness.

19. jerseyjay14

there is nothing close minded about calling a spade a spade. Simms was good but not great in highschool, caught on at tennesse because of his pedigree, was mediocure-to-bad there, caught on in the NFL because of the organizations relationship with his father, spent years on the practice squad where none of the other 31 teams wanted anything to do with him, and couldnt do anything to even close to warranting a realistic look despite a stable of horrible qbs ahead of him.

open your eyes. the kid doesnt belong in the NFL.

20. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

You are the close minded one. You just can't accept that Simms was just not good enough to earn a start. Tell me. Are you saying every QB on a roster needs to be given multiple starts to have their "shot?" How many starts? How many QB's on each team should get this chance? Is it just the 2nd and 3rd stringers? The 4th string/practice squad QB too? With the way the NFL preseason, OTAs , and practices are structured now with no more 2-a-days, limited practice in pads, etc. there are only so many QB reps to go around. Any you want to give first team reps to 3-4 guys in a season? That is such an ignorant, unreasonable, ridiculous comment. I get it. We all get it. You think Sanchez and Smith stink. So based on YOUR opinion, every body in Jets uniform that is QB deserved a bunch of starts to see if they were better? The CS saw all of these guys play in practice and OTAs for years and determined Simms was not good enough to start. Plus, he had no previous track record to indicate he was good enough. For the thousandth time, Simms could not even start and play effectively in college. He had one decent game in the preseason against the Eagles in the meaningless fourth game against players who did not make the roster and based on that game you want to give him first time reps.

Lastly, all of your bitching is water under the bridge. With Smith, Fitz, and Petty, what was Simms' role going forward????? I hate to break the news to you, but releasing the 4th string QB is not news. And unless Smith falls flat, get ready for another year of Smith as the starter.

Now close this dumb thread, please.

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.