Jets release Matt Simms

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Big Cat, May 28, 2015.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Or an ex Jets GM if he could? LOL

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Brad Smith to Buffalo was more threatening to the Jets than Simms to Buffalo....and that is not saying much at this point.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Can you believe Idzik got a promotion already? They're gonna get him involved in personnel as well as cap stuff.

4. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Yea, the situation in Buffalo is totally different than the one with the Jets. LMAO

5. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

You don't honestly believe that Simms will have any chance in the top 3 let alone 2 do you? He's a camp arm, at best will be #4. If they get rid of or suffer an injury to Cassell, Manuel, or Taylor he then will have a chance at #3.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yes. Also for league MVP.

Jets69 likes this.
  7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Simms is probably there for injuries or just in case they trade EJ or cut Taylor. He's a guy the QB coach knows well and maybe thinks can play if needed. He has regular season experience.

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

This is one of the most ridiculous threads in TGG history. Matt Simms was a bad college QB. He couldn't even win a starting job in college, yet people say he deserved a shot as a starter with the Jets? Really? Based on what? His 8 career college TD passes? Smith had 8 in one game in 2012. His decent performance in one preseason game - game 4 against the Eagles in 2013 against players who have been pumping gas and flipping burgers ever since?

Two coaching staffs and multiple OCs have seen him throw everyday in practice for three years. I think the Jets know what they had and didn't have with Simms. They had a camp arm, but not an NFL QB or even a decent back up. You can knock Sanchez and Smith, but anyone's belief that those two are not starting QBs does NOT mean that Simms belonged under center for a single regular season game let alne as a regular starter. He hasn't shown a thing since High School. If he deserved a shot, so did hundreds of other free agent QBs. At least Brady, Waener, and Unitas had successful college careers before the NFL. And those were the comparisons I saw in this thread over 65 years of football. Simms hasn't been successful since he was 18. Give it up already.

DoubleDecker87 likes this.
  9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight. You're against the guy ever getting any kind of a chance. He shouldn't be in football.

James Hasty likes this.
  10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I was being sarcastic.

I'll ask this question, since the SB era 1965-present, has there ever been a bad college qb that entered the league and became a serviceable starter? Simms is not ready, he needs a ton of work and years of development.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Hard to believe. He was a huge reach as a GM for us. Contractually savvy but totally inexperienced when it came down to personnel decisions. He also got duped by the previous draft regime. A colossal waste of 12 super valuable picks, Richardson and maybe Milliner non withstanding.

12. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

He had his chance. He's had many of them. Every damn day employed in the NFL is a chance. It's not like he was hidden behind Manning or Rodgers, he was on a team desperate for a QB to step up and you have to be completely ignorant to believe the Jets would pass on him for no reason other than he wasn't very good. He's lucky he was able to get a spot in the league and you people want him to be a starting QB?

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

One post before this you said "he has regular season experience" when you're trying to support the guy for some reason. Now you're saying he didn't get any kind of chance.

Make up your mind, this isn't a good look for you.

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You know as well as I do he got garbage time. But it was in regular season games. He got no chance to start a regular season NFL game. So let me ask you this. You're against giving him any kind of a chance to play. But if he had 30 to 60 starts. Are the results worse than Sanchez or Geno. Think about that. Would you still take Geno and Sanchez over Matt even though you know the results. Give me a break!

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If the guy is so bad then why did an NFL team who knows him just sign him off waivers. Which means he gets a veteran contract. He had no chances to start but Mark and Geno have. Was that a good decision. I guess you think it is and would still take both of them over Matt.

16. BroadwayAaron

You still haven't made up your mind. Did he not get a chance or does he have regular season experience?

17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Mop up duty is not a chance to really play. But it is regular season experience. Which is better than nothing. A Qb needs starts or significant playing time to show what they can do. He got no chance to start. But you'd still prefer Mark.

18. BroadwayAaron

How many times do people have to tell you the same thing? He should have gotten more time than he did but only because Geno and Sanchez blew. That doesn't make him good. He practiced every day and the coaches saw nothing. He threw what, 20 NFL passes and wasn't good. He had more turnovers than touchdowns. For the billionth time, 3rd stringers get cut every day, this is no different. He's lucky to even be on a roster.

Still, the point here is your picking and choosing what helps your argument. You can't say mop up duty isn't good experience then use "regular season experience" as a pro for the guy.

19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Look I'm not going to belabor the point because I made it. He got no starts or significant playing time. There's a big difference and you know it. Now you're saying "he should have gotten more time than he did because Geno and Sanchez blew." If that's the case we're in agreement. Give him a start or two and if he's terrible than arrividerci. I never said he was good, all I said was unproven. And those great Jets coaches who made the decision not to start him: look who they did start!

TNJet likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

I never disagreed with that point. That's not why I responded to the post I responded to of yours. You're still not answering the question so let's just move on.

Simms sucks, Geno and Sanchez sucking doesn't change that.