I'm getting worried about Mo

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GWjet, May 19, 2015.

1. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

If you think that's what I am arguing then you don't know much of anything including how to read. You tried to say that he was guaranteed 5 mil/year over 3 years and that is patently false. I proved that and you are just trying to call me a hater because you realized you are wrong.

But since most of the many posts I have read from you today are also wrong, that's fine. :)

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Like I said, I'm not sure what is even being "argued". For you to say I don't know much including how to read makes me laugh, bc it simply implies you know you aren't very smart. ;) have a nice day

man oh man is this board littered with guys with little man syndrome, today.

3. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Revis may have brought this on to Mohammed Wilkerson by his selfishness. Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice...... Let it play out.

4. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Hahahaha what Revis got to do with anything?

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

He got the contract that Mo wants so arguably the money has been spent and we can't afford to keep Mo.

With that being said, I think Mo can get a reasonable contract here but if he gets greedy he will end up playing for someone else.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Fwiw I do see some connection between the new Harris contract and Mo's situation.

I am not too critical of the FO extending Harris, but that's since I did not see much alternatives out there if they let him go. Having said that they ended up being squeezed and had to pay Harris more than he's worth, imho. And that money now tied up with Harris is, by simple arithmetic, not available for Wilkerson, who is clearly the better player.

But... it will and likely has still depended on whether Wilkerson is asking for too much money. And that has nothing, at least not directly, to do with Harris's situation.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Revis is making crazy money the first two years, if you are going to blame any contract for Mo not being resigned it's Revis, not Harris.

James Hasty likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We got really lucky with Leonard Williams falling to the 6. We got one of the two real blue-chippers in the class much lower than you'd expect us too, like we were exercising the 2 pick. In addition the pressure on Maccagnan and Bowles went way down when that fortuitous drop occurred. Mo is one of the two or three best players on the team and being at an impasse with him was going to generate real pressure to come to terms. Now instead we get Bowles able to conduct the OTA's without Wilkerson's absence hanging over the field.

It'd be really nice if everything worked out in a way that Mo and the Jets come away happy before camp but if that doesn't happen we're not in a Revis holdout situation. The Jets d-line will be fine in camp and eventually Mo will likely decide it's best to come in and take the guaranteed millions now with no worse prospect than being franchised next year or better yet a UFA.

9. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Franchised, I think Mo would be slightly overpaid. Of course, he has a different view

10. James Hasty

Unfortunately the franchise tag gives him top 5 pay for DEs (including 4-3 pass rushers), not just 3-4 DEs.

Mo would be well overpaid if w franchise him killing most of his trade value.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The franchise tag # for DE's is going to be about $15M next year. Mo is likely looking for a contract that averages close to that over a multi-year period with guarantees about 2.5-3x the number.

If the Jets have to tag Mo and play him next year they'll be taking a 1-year risk on the cap after getting him at $6.69M this season. That's the way to go when you have another excellent young player at the position in Sheldon Richardson and just got lucky with the best DE in the draft dropping to you on the 6.

It would be great if the Jets could get Mo at $11M a year, which is where his actual value as one of the best interior linemen is clear, but that's looking less and less likely as time goes on. JJ Watt is a freak. You can't pay other 3-4 DE's, even really good ones like Mo, as if they were on the same value scale because they're just not that valuable.

If Mo goes out and has a career year and gets 20 sacks, well then you have to consider a lot of different propositions at that point, at least one of which is pay him what it takes to lock him up through his prime.

Axel3419 and Charlie Kelly like this.
  12. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Just curious, would it be better to sign him to a long term contract now rather than next year, or wait until the salary cap situation is better next year. Timing is important in this.

13. James Hasty

The sooner we sign Mo the sooner we can address other problems.

The contract itself will be used to spread the pain in the best way possible.

We are either waiting to see how Mo fits into the defense or more likely arguing about his value.

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

He is a mentor in holding out.

15. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

In his situation you have to expect Mo to sit out the voluntary workouts. If he went out there and got injured he would severely diminish his future money. If he skips the mandatory portion it will, imo, reflect directly upon his displeasure with a lack of contract. Until that happens I'm not too worried about it.

16. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even sweat the mandatory workouts, if he holds out of TC then we have a problem, Houston. Non contract practices don't mean all that much

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. There were a LOT of things that Rex never found a way to make work.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. For one thing, I believe he was promised by the Jets that he would get a new contract. Even if that was the old regime and they are no longer here, it still is the team. Further, Mac said that he was focusing on the draft and would forcus on Mo's contract following the draft, and Mac is the new boss in town.

For another, it doesn't show Mo any love, respect or appreciation. You advocate treating him like a number or piece of meat, and players don't like that. Mo isn't the only one watching this situation. Other Jets and other players around the NFL. The way you advocate treating him and this situation, is guaranteed to alienate Jets players, and others around the NFL, and potentially make players not want to play on the Jets. That's not what you want.

There is NO good reason for putting this off. You take care of your own. Unless there is a problem with Mo wanting a LOT more than Mac thinks Mo is worth or is realistic within the team's cap, there was no reason to not have this done already.

jerseyjay14 and Red Menace like this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm just talking about Vilma specifically. Of course what you say is true.

20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If Mo walks next year do we get any compensation?