Would you trade Wilkerson for Rivers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetastic, May 27, 2015.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Wanting those guys on reasonable terms is not unreasonable.

Giving up a #1 pick in any draft for them is another story.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Rivers for Geno straight up, same salary we are improved no doubt. Trading our 2nd or 3rd best defensive player that helps make our DL dominant, adding in a pick then having to pay franchise QB money to a guy who melts in every big game would not make us better. we wouldn't be able to keep some of the talent we now have around the QB and our D would be weaker.

3. nyjunc

Rivers is obviously better than Geno, I don't think he is a SB QB but we'd get a lot closer w/ him than Geno, Fitz or anyone else we have(unless Petty develops in the coming years) but adding in cost in both cap and players it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

4. James Hasty

After this year, Wilkerson for Rivers would arguably be a push in terms of cap space.

5. nyjunc

Rivers is going to be paid like a franchise QB, they are always more expensive. I wouldn't want to pay a guy that melts in big games that amount of money and kill our cap.

6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

If it were straight up, yeah. We would instantly be Super Bowl contestants with a QB like him. While I realize Mo is young and Rivers is getting up there in age, he still is fills the most important role in football. Plus we have Mo's replacement now, so its not like our D-line would be bad either.

7. nyjunc

Rivers has had better, younger teams around him and has made it as far as the AFC Championship Game ONE time. He made it when his backup led GW drive after Rivers got hurt. Rivers wouldn't make any team a SB contender but yes we'd be a better bet w/ Rivers rather than Geno/Fitz.

8. Quinnenthebeast

This is laughable. We have a bottom 3 QB and adding a top 10 QB wouldn't make us better?

9. Quinnenthebeast

The Chargers never had a receiver as good as Marshall and the defense we have now.

James Hasty likes this.
  10. nyjunc

you are skipping over key points. Of course straight up just swap QBs and we are better but factoring in losing a top D player, draft pick and the money it would cost to extend Rivers we wouldn't have as talented a team around the QB as we have now.

Maybe not but Marshall himself has never been to postseason. You don't need elite WRs to win. He has had an elite TE, elite RBs and very good WRs. he had that for many years and couldn't get it done in January.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I know you refuse to look at anything but playoff games because you're stubborn but isn't the mark of a good quarterback keeping his team competitive despite the team around them?

With Rivers at quarterback his team always has a chance to go to the playoffs. He had talented rosters early on in his career and as a result he translated that into excellent records but you can't tell me he has had any real good roster since 2008 and his team is still competitive.

12. nyjunc

despite the team around him? he had a top team for the first half of his career and has had very talented teams in recent years that have underachieved.

always has a chance to go to the playoffs except the fact that they have one playoff app since 2010 and they needed an incredible set of circumstances to make it on the final week.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

You're crazy if you think that he's had a talented team in recent Years. He hasn't had much of a running game outside of a pretty good year for Ryan Mathews in 2013 (his only real healthy year) or a defense and has relied on Antonio Gates and one pretty good receiver at a time with Jackson before he left and now Keenan Allen.

Rip on him for his early years of failure with LT and those top seeded teams but to take away the fact that he's kept that franchise afloat for the past 4-5 years is ridiculous.

14. nyjunc

he had what many felt was the most talented team in the AFC for many years and failed time after time after time. Recently they haven't been as talented but they are still talented. He never played w/ a team like the 2013 Jets.

he's kept them afloat? they have made 1 postseason app and won one postseason game in a game they hid him.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

They could have folded into a 4-12 team like the Falcons and Matt Ryan or the Lions and Matt Stafford. Drew Brees has dipped in and out of .500 records.

He hasn't been on any really good teams in a while. I'm done arguing with you though if a quarterback doesn't routinely go to the Superbowl they suck in your eyes. We're not getting Big Ben, Rodgers, Brady, Manning or Brees so why not grab someone a tier below and gear up the rest of the team around them? In a leagye where Andy Dalton and Ryan Tannehill are making $15 million a year you're not going to find a cheap young good winning alternative available.

If there's an above average quarterback available you get him. The draft has not been kind in us developing a keeper at the position in our franchises history.

16. James Hasty

You are wasting your time.

According to this expert Sanchez is better than Phillip Rivers and Ken O'Brien put together.

17. nyjunc

so 7-9 to 9-7 w/o postseason mean something? 2010 he had #1 ranked D in weak division, they won 9 games but who cares? they couldn't make the playoffs. they lost to 7-9 Seattle, got swept by Oakland who only won 6 other games the rest of the year and lost to 7-9 SL as well as 4-12 Cincy but they were eliminated by that point so I won't hold that against him.

2011 went 8-8: lost to 7-9 KC, lost to Oak again, lost to Tebow and Den and missed winning an awful division by 1 game.

2012 7-9: won last games against awful Jets and Raiders.

2013 made playoffs at 9-7 after 3-4 different games went their way including I believe a blocked PAT in one of the games.

2014 9-7: lose 3 of last 4 to miss playoffs by one game, lone win over bad SF team.

18. nyjunc

pipe down clown. an intelligent poster is trying to have a discussion w/ me. Not some fool who can't read and thinks b/c I discuss these QBs realistically that I call Sanchez great

19. James Hasty

In your opinion how does Rivers stack up when compared to Mark Sanchez?

20. nyjunc

he's a better reg season QB and will give a team a better chance to make playoffs, I'd trust Mark in a big game over him though.