Would you trade Wilkerson for Rivers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetastic, May 27, 2015.

1. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

No friggin' way. I've never been a big Rivers fan though I'm just beginning to acknowledge that he's a good QB ; )

I don't see him working out here if he became a Jet.

2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

What has Rivers won? What did he win back when he was in his prime and had a dominant D? Anyone? Anybody? You're dreaming if you think Phillip Rivers, at this stage of his career, will take us to a SB.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Anyway, wanting to take this deal or not would depend on the specifics. But one factor that would have to be considered is whether Wilk is demanding, and is going to continue to demand, too much money from the Jets. Since I thikn that is what is holding up negotiations with him, or is the most likely reason, then that has to be taken into account. It is a huge factor that would argue for doing the trade posited by the OP.

Having said that, there is some concern Rivers would not want to play for the Jets, and stay with them for say 3 or 4 years. But if he were so inclined, I would do that trade, probably throw in a second as well, no doubt about it.

Rivers on the Jets minus Wilkerson, assuming Williams is close to as advertised, and the Jets could contend for a Super Bowl.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  4. Big Blocker

Football is a team game.

Last year Rivers was definitely a top ten NFL Qb. No reason to think he would not be this coming year. He's in good shape.

Last year he was tied for 7th in comp. %, 10th in ypa (ahead of Drew Brees), 8th in total yards, and 12th in Qb rating. He had 31 TD's against 18 Int's.

I think Smith Fans should disclose such fact when they post baseless arguments against Rivers here.

5. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

he is a good QB, worlds better then anything we had. i just dont see him as anyone that makes us a superbowl contender. and trading mo for a win now piece just seems like an awful idea to me, especially if a pick is attached. i make this move when im already a conference championship team looking to get over the hump. a team 1 piece away to being a lock for the superbowl.

if rivers was 29, sure, at 34, i cant make that move.

im not adverse to moving wilk, or moving him for a qb. but that qb cant be in his mid to late 30s. Rivers also wouldnt be cheap, would likely make more then wilkerson, make our cap situation moving forward even more dicey.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Big Blocker

I started out hte post before the one you quoted referring to the likelihood that Wilkerson is asking for too much money. I don't know why you would ignore that factor. It's not like Wilkerson is locked in with the Jets long term.

The other part is with the rest of the team set up the way it is, the Jets are fairly close to being a win now team, not so much this year, but in the next two to three years. A top ten Qb makes them a much improved team compared to having one of hte worst Qb's in the league. Is it enough to win an SB? There are no guarantees there. But a top ten Qb makes them a playoff team, I think, and after that, well, anything could happen.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Rivers is the same problem I have with trading for Cutler. Both are huge upgrades for the Jets, but both also have never won anything and are getting older. I would consider that trade though for this season, as I feel with decent QB play, the Jets would be real contenders.

8. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

It hurt my brain just to read the question.

No Way Jose.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He is well situated in SD, AND DOES NOT WANT TO MOVE OUT OF THERE.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Cutler and Rivers shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. While not a lot of success Rivers still has 4 playoff wins versus 5 losses. With Rivers you're pretty much guaranteed 8 or more wins and good quarterback play.

He also played with a torn ACL in the AFC championship game in 2008. Cutler sat out with a sprained knee in the 2011. Cutlers engineered 3 winning records in 8 years and an overall record of 61-58 with a 180-130 TD-INT ratio and a 61.7 completion percentage. Rivers has 6 winning records in 9 years and an overall record of 88-56 with a 252-122 TD-INT ratio and 64.7 completion percentage.

There's no comparison really. Rivers has also thrown for over 4,000 yards 6 times while Cutler has never done it and Rivers plays every game.

nycarl and RexontheBeach like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes +100

Jets are loaded and any QB that aspires a SB run should see that.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How about a 3-way trade? Wilkerson and next year's first go to SD. Rivers and a high pick goes to Carolina, and Cam Newton comes here. I could get on board with that.

I think Rivers would be happy going back to Carolina. Cam may not be willing to stay in Carolina since Gettleman has failed to address the LT position. The only problem would be who SD is going to play at QB. Maybe we could give them Fitz or Geno.

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Haha the comparison is both could be on the trade market and both are better than Geno.

14. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

this x1000

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I don't see why Carolina would do this but I'd love it

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Something tells me Cutler was very available and there were no takers. I think Rivers market would be wide open.

17. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I'd do it in a heartbeat. Rivers is a top QB almost every year, and with him we'd be a shoe in for the playoffs assuming Leonard Williams can step in and play at a high level. Even if he can't, a top QB is more important than a D Lineman with the way the rules are today.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

NO, Rivers is one of the most overrated QBs in the last 20 years and would command top dollar which he is not worth.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Who isn't overrated according to you, junc?

Cheating Tom, Nacho and that's about it, right?

Peyton is overrated, and so is Rivers. LOL.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Peyton is an all time great but still overrated as many think he is best of all time. Rivers is a decent QB who comes up small in big games but b/c of fantasy #s the average fan thinks he is great.