Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

And training camp hasnt even started yet. Sheesh

2. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Exactly the point (we) the anti Geno crowd are trying to say. I guess we'll see who's right and who's wrong. I'll say this if I was wrong and Geno excels I still win as a Jet fan. If Geno fails (I lose as a Jet fan) but I can stand up yelling at the top of my lungs "you numb nuts picked this yoyo to lead us" (The coaching staff)? As a fan who has been yelling for the last two years I expect the obvious.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

What I "heard" from Gailey is that at the pesent time Geno is the number one, meaning he would get the number one reps during mini camps. Fitzpatrick is not healthy enough at this time so it is a no brainer. If Fitzpatrick significantly outplays Geno during the pre-season, it could be a different story.

4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

This has been statistically proven to not be an accurate statement. With a dominant defense for example, statistical analysis of SB champs says you need average QB/offensive play to win.

If by quality you mean average, then yes. But if by quality you mean top 10ish then no.

5. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

I thought I buried this nonsense debate, but it seems to have taken form in another (blatantly similar) thread. Carry on, whiners of defunct substance.

6. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Are you the guru of the Jet boards? You buried?? Whiners of defunct substance?? When and if U become a moderator than U can bury a thread. Until than either grin and deal with it or ignore it.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Which is weird considering his man love for Sanchez. By his own admission then, Sanchez is not a quality quarterback.

8. TurkJetFan

Truth is, if we still had Sanchez on the current roster we'd be looking at 2010 all over again. Sanchez at this point is the precisely average QB we need. But that book is closed...

I know we hate Geno, but he is realistically the key for us. Or someone like Fitz. I'm pulling for Geno to get it together, because his arm action is what we need given our offensive weapons.

But if it's Fitz, I will not cry.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It occurs to me you add very little here. I would not say you add nothing. But it in truth is a very small contribution.

It is not an illegitimate point of view for me or anyone else to assert that viewing someone like Smith, with his very poor record, as a presumed starter, under the current circumstances, is exalting his status beyond what it should be. So your characterization of that point of view in the quoted section adds nothing here. Try to do better next time.

10. Big Blocker

Heh! Ralebird does provide some humor here. He's a good straight man.

11. Big Blocker

Yes, on all counts. But I still do feel better about Bowles's recognizing a "clarification" was necessary, and of course in terms of what the clarification was.

NYJetsO12, FlaJet and jerseyjay14 like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I hope Geno Smith turns his career around not only because it would be good for my football team but because it will confirm what a complete, hysterical, childish idiot that you are

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

top 10ish is better than quality, you need a guy who will limit mistakes and make the big play from time to time. you don't need a 40 TD.

14. Big Blocker

Have a nice day.

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

maybe historically but certainly not recently with how the game has changed to a more passing oriented game with rules geared toward offense... last several SB winning QBs

Brady was top 10 in 2014
    Wilson was top 10 in 2013 (6th in QB Rating 26TD/9INT
    Flacco was NOT top 10 in 2012
    Eli was Top 10 in 2011 (6th in QB rating, 5000 yards 29 TD)
    Rodgers was top 10 in 2010
    Brees was top 10 in 2009

only one who was top 10 QB in that group is flacco, who DID play like a elite qb come playoff time. (11 TDs, 0 INT, huge long TD to comeback vs denver late)

i dont see the argument that in TODAYS NFL you dont need top 10 QB play to win the superbowl.

Big Blocker likes this.
  16. TurkJetFan

Statistics I'm referencing are in fact recent and not historical. This study with the range of data completely refutes your analysis. Although I'm prepared for you to tell me statistical analysis isn't correct.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...-defense-wins-championships-49ers-stats-picks

17. TurkJetFan

This is fair and I agree with this. I only ask bc "quality" is a very subjective term. So quality = average and I totally agree.

18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

if sanchez was on this team we'd be looking at another season filled with turnovers and missing the playoffs.

19. TurkJetFan

The study states that ONE dominant side of the ball is sufficient supported by the average performance of another....It's not just defensive dominance. Which essentially all of your above points lend to.

20. TurkJetFan

Well that depends if you think Sanchez could be "average" supported by our defense (essentially 2010). If you don't think he could be average as noted above and would be below average, you would be correct.