Would you trade Wilkerson for Rivers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetastic, May 27, 2015.

1. max

max Active Member

The question is are we closer to a win now team with Rivers or Wilkerson . . .

A lot of it depends on Williams, but I still don't think we are a win now/ playoff run team with Geno at the helm and Wilkerson.

I think we could make a big run with Rivers and without Wilkerson if Williams is as advertised. But, say we do get Rivers and we can't get to a SB in 2 or 3 years and Rivers time is over . . .

Wilkerson should still be in his prime in 2-3 years ,barring injury , but Revis, Cro, Harris, Marshall, Mangold, Ivory to name a few will all be old or worn down.

Then what ...

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Like I said:

WILL RIVERS WANT TO COME TO NEW YORK?

Consider that. He hated moving up to LA. There is a reason why he threatened Chargers that he will not extend his contract, if Chargers move.

NY? Good luck.

greenbeanz likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Consider Rivers opened up to the idea of coming to New York in a hypothetical world which I think the thread was intended for.

It's amazing how much most fans complain about our quarterbacks and Geno and Fitzpatrick and suggest Austin Davis as a better replacement but wouldn't want Rivers for a player likely to walk when his contracts up? Unbelievable.

4. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I don't think Geno is a world beater for sure, and Fitzpatrick was never that good even before he broke his leg, or he wouldn't have been ditched by 10 different teams. The fact is that other then the draft, good qb's are hard to come by. Teams that are looking to get rid of their QB are looking to get rid of them for a reason - because they aren't that good. I don't think Rivers plays well in cold weather, he hasn't been to a superbowl in the past despite being surrounded by top flight offensive talent for most of his career, and he would demand a huge salary. I wouldn't want him even if we didn't have to trade Wilkerson for him. That isn't to say I don't think we need to get better at the QB position - we do. We won't win until we have a better QB. Whether that's a resurrected Geno (which doesn't look that likely), Petty, or some future draft pick remains to be seen, but Rivers is not the answer.

5. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

The last 4 years rivers hasnt been special a
    im not against trading wilkerson.... im against trading wilkerson for 34 year old win now players when we arent 1 player away from a superbowl.

if he is moved for picks or impact guys under 30, id be ok with that

6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

No Fucking way! ..+10 to what Jetaho replied... We have a chance, right now to be one of the greatest JETS defenses in our history... why would we wanna break that up?

7. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Wilkerson and Geno to SF for Colin K and a 7th rounder

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Challenge: How stupid can TGG get? We all have been challenged.

EDIT: I pull out. I can't match this level of stupidity even in my drunken stupor.

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

It's a totally fair point...

The question really is....Is how close to average is our starting QB...if the gap is HUGE then yes I think it makes sense...but if we think we can get average out of a QB then I see no need.

I know I harp on this, but stats have proven average on 1 side of the ball and dominant on the other is generally statistically proven to win games.

10. Jetastic

Jetastic Member

Um maybe for a better shot at a superbowl? Who cares about the best defense ever if it doesn't get you the ring in the end. The one aspect this team is lacking is a solid QB. Plus we already have a surplus on defense. We take one piece of the defense, which will still leave it as one of the most ridiculous defenses in the league and get a quarterback who can lead us on a deep run. With our current defense we will be in every game if we can put up some points, Rivers can do that for us which is why I do this trade in a heartbeat. Screw greatest defense of all time. I want a superbowl.

FJF likes this.
  11. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

So you're saying that we'd trade for Rivers, and then immediately trade him for a great QB?

12. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

If it's true that Rivers doesn't want to play in LA because of his family, I doubt up rooting them to go across country to NY will make him much happier. And as someone mentioned earlier, who is SD's backup? Is it really Clemons? If I were the Chargers and I knew NY was serious, I'd demand Mo, next years 1st and Geno as the "sweetener" - though, he's not that sweet :)

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I would only do the scenario where Rivers signs a long term deal with the team, not a rental.

Rivers would make this team a legitimate contender. Wilkerson is a very good young player, but he's not a quarterback. This is a no brainer in my opinion. Especially if you can get at least 5 years out of Rivers. This also would buy the Jets time to identify a franchise QB in the draft and maneuver as necessary to get that QB when the right time comes.

greenbeanz and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I hope that would go without saying.

greenbeanz likes this.
  15. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Yea which prob means zero scenarios, I mean think about it. Rivers doesn't want to move down the street to Los Angeles but he'd agree to sign a long term contract in NEW JERSEY??

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I hate LA and work in NY, live in the metro area. I don't get this argument. Yes, both are big cities. But they are different cities. Do we know the specifics of why Rivers does not want LA?

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Would you rather have the greatest defense and be 8-8 or have a good defense and be 11-5 and in the playoffs?

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I have no idea what Rivers wants. I'm not worried about him. I'm just worried about the Jets perspective. If Rivers isn't interested in NJ, then he can fly a kite.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

One would also assume that if the Jets made this deal they would have talked to Rivers to see if him coming here would be a problem or if he'd resign.

If this trade were to ever happen it gives both Rivers and the Jets the best opportunity to be real contenders. It also instantly puts Rivers on the most talented roster he's ever been on. People are blinded by the fact that he was on a couple good offenses early in his career; Rivers has been working with regurgitated garbage the past 4-5 seasons outside of one receiver (Allen, Jackson gil he left) and Gates. He hasn't had a running game since LT left and that's what 6 years ago? Even on those good teams the defenses were middle of the pack.

The Jets offer him 3-4 receiving targets, and a top 10 defense. He's a family man with a billion kids which is why he doesn't want to move but he'd be crazy to deny coming here for a couple years to try to win a Superbowl and make a push to get into the Hall of Fame.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nein. Nyet. Jamais! No way. Rivers is not an elite QB imo. He's second tier and never won anything. He's a bit of a choker. He's on the downside of his career and Mo is entering his prime. IMO adding Rivers would be like finding fools gold. It's not gonna make the team rich or a sudden threat to win the Lombardi Trophy. That's just wishful thinking and blind homerism imo.