Would you trade Wilkerson for Rivers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetastic, May 27, 2015.

1. Jetastic

Jetastic Member

So I haven't been on here in a while so I don't know if this has been discussed, but would you trade

To SD: Wikerson and 3rd
    To NYJ: Rivers

Or

To SD: Wilkerson and 1st
    To NYJ: Rivers (signed)

Two of my friends so it in a heartbeat, another says no. What do you say?

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

edit: derp - nevermind.

3. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

I think it'd take two future high picks and Wilk, but with the D we have I'd probably make the move. Also depends on how long his contract is.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Yes you make that move, but Rivers wants to avoid LA. Why would he ever come here?

He more then likely stays in SD and then one day goes to play for a team near Hicksville, USA. Could see him in Kansas City one day or Arizona

5. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. Wilkerson is in his prime. Rivers on decline. Plus, Rivers has never won anything and will demand a mega-deal. Would rather trade Wilk for picks if we can't sign him.

Royal Tee and jerseyjay14 like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It'd be tough to say no and would most likely put Rivers on the most talented team he's ever been on. There are a lot of question marks with him though specifically wondering how he would do not playing 9 games a year in sunny California, along with how happy he would ultimately be in New York. He's a southern country Christian boy at heart and something tells me the big city might not be so kind to him, along with the cold weather.

Given that he'd be happy to come I think you have to say yes to either deal. Quarterbacks primes are much longer than other players so you essentially get about 3 prime years from him without hopefully missing a terrible amount on the defensive side with Williams stepping in for Wilk. Anytime you can get a top 12 quarterback in the league you can't blink you have to go for it especially with a talented roster and a plethora of receiving targets on board.

You'd have to have pre-trade discussions with Him though on his want to play here and his future contract. Without a commitment from him to resign and want to play here you can't make that deal or else you yet a Favre situation for a lot larger of a price tag.

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

To SD: Wilkerson
    To NYJ: Rivers, 1st/2nd next year, 1st/2nd/3rd the year after and 1st the year after.

Anything less and the deal is off.

I mean - Ok. I know he posted up video game numbers at SD. How will THAT translate in tough NY weather? I just don't think it will translate well. And Rivers WILL be disgruntled while he's here in NY. He is well situated in SD and he doesn't want to move. [You should read the newspaper regarding his contract extension. He made it very clear that he will not extend if Chargers move to LA.]

#8 Zach, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Hobbes3259 likes this.
  9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I really want to see a little bit of Williams before making a decision like that. In the event that he busts out (unlikely from everything I've seen and heard) then Richardson and Harrison are all we'd have left of a D-line that looked set to be elite for years to come.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A great QB is at least twice as valuable on the field as a great player at any other position.

If Rivers wasn't set on Tennessee in two years it would be a no-brainer to trade any of our defensive linemen for him even up. SD wouldn't make the trade except under duress but it would be an absolute no-brainer. Rivers is going to be the guy who helps Tennessee out of the Mariota debacle.

11. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Negative ghost rider

12. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

The Chargers would then play who at QB? Kellen Clemons? This isn't happening.

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Wilk for Rivers yeah.

Maybe I think about throwing in a second rounder, no way I give up Wilk AND a first.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

It's an interesting question. Putting whether SD would do it aside, I think it would come down to 2 questions.

1) Do the Jets intend to let Wilk walk or do they feel they have the leverage to get him in at an attainable number?
    2) Do the Jets think Rivers for 2 - 3 years will put them in position to contend?

If the answer to #1 is "they will let him walk and inevitably trade him" and the answer to 2 is
    "yes", then do it.

Altho I'd say the Chargers would have a hard time getting a defensive young cornerstone and a 1st from the Jets.

16. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

You take your shot with Rivers. The Jets brought in a lot of talented vets. It would be a shame to waste the last of their prime years because Fitz and Geno are the QB's. You dont pass on top tier QBs.

ajax, NYJetsO12, Big Blocker and 2 others like this.
  17. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

You would have to. Problem is San Diego isn't stupid. They would never do it.

18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

HEEEEELLLLLL no.

wilkerson AND a pick? maybe if SD gave us rivers and a top 3 pick id consider it.

I like rivers, but im not trading a 25 year old all pro lineman for a 33 year old QB... maybe if we were 1 piece away from being a championship favorite, and maybe if rivers was some stud playoff qb. but neither is close to being true.

find me an all pro qb under 30 and id be inclined

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Wilkerson and a 1st for a aging QB no longer in his prime?Are you out of your mind?I said this about Revis and I'm gonna say it about Wilkerson....Trading him would be a mistake there's no point to it ,how about for once we keep our home grown talent and don't send them off to win Superbowls elsewhere

pcmodem and jerseyjay14 like this.
  20. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. Rivers is an aging, warm weather quarterback who has never won despite being on some very talent laden teams.

pcmodem, nyjunc and NCJetsfan like this.