Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

how is losing one player "most of it's O line"?

it's not tired, it's what matters most. If Fitz is our starter we aren't going to be a playoff team, if Geno is our starter it is hit or miss- at least we have a chance.

2. nyjunc

Look up the gamebooks at NFL.com, same lineup when they won 23-0 vs. wash as when we crushed them 27-11 a week later then Dallas crushed them a week after that. They may have lost more guys later in the season after it was lost(which happens to all teams) but when they still had a chance their O was healthy and Fitz was awful.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

of course winning is what matters most, but there are far more variables than the QB that go into W's and L's.
    that's what you do not comprehend. it's the outcome of the entire team in the ultimate team sport.

in terms of whether Fitz or Geno is better suited to lead this team to the playoffs, why not simply have a competition to determine that?
    that's not a decision which can be made without observing each on this current team.
    if we do make the playoffs, it will be on the back of this defense, with the QB managing games successfully.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. nyjunc

There will be a competition, if Ryan wins we are doomed. If Geno wins we may be doomed.

There are variables but quality QB play will always give a team a better chance to win.

I don't think Fitz can manage games, Geno at times has shown he can.

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

here you go. 15 players on injured reserve in 2011, which include FJax and other offensive players, plus a litany of defenders.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/12/21/2651616/buffalo-bills-ir-list-kyle-williams-fred-Jackson

For your full list of injuries here is pro football reference.

OL - Chris Hairston, Demetreus Bell and Eric Wood.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2011_injuries.htm

Go away already. You're wrong, it's ok to be wrong.

6. nyjunc

look up the NFL.com gamebooks: http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/schedule?team=BUF&season=2011&seasonType=REG

Starting O in week 3 in their win over NE(first win since 2003 against NE):
    WR's: Jones, Johnson, Nelson
    OL: Bell, Levitre, Rinehart, Wood, Pears
    RBs: Jackson
    TE: Chandler

starting O against Wash week 8 23-0 win

WRs: Jones, Johnson, Nelson
    OL: Levitre, Rinehart, Wood, Urbik, Pears- ONE new starter
    RB: Jackson
    TE: Chandler

same except for Bell

starting O week 9 27-11 loss to NYJ
    SAME as week before vs. Wash

starting O week 10 44-7 loss to Dallas
    SAME as week before

starting O week 10 35-8 loss to Miami
    one new player on OL

Fred Jackson played 10 games, they were 5-5 including the last 3 losses where they averaged EIGHT PPG. The season was already headed down the toilet, the next week w/o Fred they scored 24.

when you come at me talking junk at least have your facts in order. You can get away w/ that weak stuff w/ others- NOT w/ me. Move along son.

7. TurkJetFan

except you just hand selected games and I provided the IR list and a one view map of all injuries.

Even when faced with facts you still persist....You are special.

BTW your "info" is faulty. Cro played all year for us the other year with a bum hip. Since gamebooks said he started, does that mean he was not hurt?

All you have to do is look at the freaking injury report chart I sent.

BTW, do you even know what you're debating anymore, or are you just doing this bc?

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Thank God because "barring injury Geno is the starter" is a real downer.

9. TurkJetFan

truth of the matter is.

Barring Geno completely shitting the bed in training came, he is the starter.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Geno completely shitting the bed is well within the realm of possibility.

James Hasty likes this.
  11. TurkJetFan

The issue is, is that Geno has set the bed shitting standard. To the point that if he shits the bed we won't even know it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. nyjunc

I hand selected games- their best game of the year then a 23-0 win then when the season started going downhill. Basically the same offense in all those games. They didn't start losing b/c of injuries. they started losing b/c Fitz and others played poorly.

You are making excuses, pretend Fitz is on the dolphins now and you will tell me how bad he is and not make excuses. bad teams usually have a bunch of players on IR, as that season went south more players started getting hurt but the wheels were in motion for a collapse before all the injuries.

Keep bashing me to deflect but my argument will keep bashing your excuses. One of the guys you brought up was Fred Jackson- Fred played TEN games, was around for the 3 game losing streak where they scored 11(8 in garbage time), 7 and 6 pts on offense before he got hurt. Just please stop. Fitz is what he is- a good backup who should never be a primary starter.

13. TurkJetFan

I'm not bashing you to deflect your argument. in fact im not even bashing you...im just pointing out as the 200 others have, that you are wrong.

I never disliked Fitz, Jet or not. You're just literally wrong.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

so with this roster assembled, you are putting our playoff chances at like what 25%?

i think our defense will have a large say in whether we make the playoffs.
    also think our Offensive line will be key, and I'm about as confident in that line as i am with our QBs.

Let's see how this QB show plays out throughout the preseason (as well as the D and Oline) b4 predicting doom and gloom.
    it's not an ideal situation, but QB's have been carried into the postseason before.

15. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Except for the part ... ya know ... where Gailey was explicity asked if the team ever considered holding a QB compeition and Gailey responded ""No, it wasn't a thought."

Big Blocker, IDFjet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. TurkJetFan

lmao this made me laugh

17. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Terrific, apparently now we get an entire season worth of Mr. Thread Deficiation pretending Geno is better than Fitzpatrick.

18. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that those who are frustrated with Smith being given the first team reps are really that upset about it. It seems that many of those same people slightly hope Geno fails. In that case one should be happy he's getting the first team reps. It's a lot tougher to look good/easier to fail against the starting D and pro bowl corners compared to our second team D, which Fitz gets to throw against.

#718 RexontheBeach, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  19. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

I suggest anyone who has not yet listened to the Bowles presser to do so, it's on the Jets website. He clears this situation up, and his response on the matter is similar to what many have suggested here.

20. nyjunc

Our D will keep us in most games and give us a chance, I think this D will be better than we were in 2009. even w/ big time Ds you need quality play from the QB position to win.

we need decent QB play, we need a game manager type. I don't think Fitz is that type, he likes to take too many chances.

If Fitz starts I HOPE I am dead wrong. I will gladly eat crow if he steps up and plays well in big spots and helps us win. Geno has been mostly bad but he has shown an ability to be a game manger type and now w/ more weapons, more experience and a good OC I think he has a chance to be a decent QB. We'll see.

you can say it all you want but the facts back me in this argument. Your excuses were torn apart, please bring new ones for me.