Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Is this real? I mean... wow. Talk about the all-time douchiest things you could ever say.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

but hurling insults at me is not a douchy thing to do? You guys crack me up.

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

You make some good points, I wasnt going to look at each game log. Looks like a few of

However, once we start talking about "garbage points" I'd rather not get into it. I've seen all of the same arguments in every old Sanchez thread, and I rarely agree with you. You throw out a lot of hypothetical's to try and make your point.

Since there is zero change we agree with each other, there is point in driving this further.

4. nyjunc

We are allowed to disagree, don't run and hide b/c we do.

Trailing 30-10 then throwing a TD to pull w/in 30-17 w/ 2mins left isn't a garbage time TD?

Trailing 30-16 and throwing a TD w/ a min left and no TOs isn't garbage time? This one is close, you can still recover an OS kick but the chances of winning are remote.

w/ team up 31-14 in 4th threw 2 TDs in 45-21 win- garbage time.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Very rarely are they called for. This is one of those times. Seriously, who says that?

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you are good, man. I don't mean to label you a Fitz ball washer by any means, I understand things don't have to be viewed so extreme unlike many on here.

I'm just saying that Fitz really hasn't protected the ball very well in his career. Last year was probably the best he's ever protected it and that might even be skewed by the 6 TD performance like you say.

I kind of disagree with your statement on the current team and what it will take to make the playoffs, but I think we are just as likely to hit that benchmark with Geno Smith as with Fitzpatrick

7. jcass10

It isnt running and hiding. It's not wanting to engage in pointless converstation, that advances nothing. I've seen what happens to a lot of threads on this board when you get on a roll. Whether you instigate it or someone else does, it usually delves into petty insults.

I've seen it all before, and its not something I'm interested in.

Good work on the research, though.

BeastBeach likes this.
  8. jcass10

He isnt the typical game manager like Alex Smith who you never need to worry about throwing INT's.

Having said that, he's better than both Mark and Geno when it comes to protecting the ball, and he also throws more TD's. We made it very far on a good running game and a stout D. If Fitz (or Geno preferably) can replicate what Mark did, I have little doubt this team can make noise.

9. nyjunc

all the posts on the site are pointless when you think about it. what we do engaging in discussions about people that do things that we cannot is pointless. If that stopped us there wouldn't be a board.

Simple rule- don't insult me and I won't insult you. Those that do insult me I will give them a few chances then if they keep it up I will come back at them. It is not my preferred way but sometimes it has to be done.

If you disagree w/ me just give me your reasons why and try to back it up. Even if I don't agree the info may be useful and it helps make the board better.

10. jcass10

I disagree on your views fairly often. I see them coming a mile away, and I disagree vehemently on them. Why would I waste my time arguing my case to you when you're going to throw out the same hypotheticals that I always see.

Usually when enough people disagree with you, threads get ruined. I'm not going to insult, because we're both adults. I just dont like circular arguments where nothing progresses.

11. nyjunc

career TOs:
    Fitz: 125in 2911 attempts. One every 23.3 attempts
    Geno: 41 in 810 attempts. One every 19.8 attempts
    Mark: 103 in 2176. One every 21.1 attempts

all in the same ballpark. The difference is Mark made a million big plays to help teams win. Fitz or Geno can put up better #s but will they make as many impact plays?

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

13. nyjunc

You can disagree w/ me al you want, you make the board worse by running and hiding. Have confidence in your beliefs, don't worry about who or how many disagree w/ you. That means nothing. I think of myself better than the average fan so to me it is a huge compliment that so many disagree w/ me.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

see now that is actually a good argument.
    Fitz hasn't really protected the ball well in his career.

he also was never really in a position to simply manage a game, as he never had a defense like this.
    what i'd like to see is whether his smarts and his experience can put him in a better position to manage games on this team.
    he showed signs of improvement with Houston, and i believe this Jets team is more talented.

Geno has been even worse at protecting the ball.
    He's get Fitz beat with his ability to make plays with his legs (would like to see more of that), as well as arm strength, but has no field recognition or good decision making ability.

neither is an ace of an option. let them compete....
    see who is managing the game better, who is moving the chains, who is protecting the football, and which guy is actually out leading.
    that's all i'm asking for.

with an effective game manager, this is a winning team.
    hopefully one of them can prove it, and earn the job the right way.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. nyjunc

16. jcass10

Once again, not running and hiding.

I dont have that much time to get on the board every day. I dont want to spend most of it arguing with you (or any one poster). Its nothing against you personally, but reading the same reasoning and hypothetical's is not something I enjoy. I like to share my opinion, and read others. I dont have the time during the work day to do a ton of research (which is what debating with you requires). I did some rudimentary research on Fitzpatrick, saw that statistically he was a superior option to Geno.

I have my opinion and I am very confident in it. Hell most people here agree with me. And like you, the ones who dont agree, is kind of encouraging to me lol.

17. nyjunc

You can have any opinion you want but what you posted was easily dissected to not look as it appeared on the surface just looking at #s w/o context so if others ignore that then that is on them.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I had to bash my thought into your head repeatedly for you to understand. For once it didn't take 100 posts for you to get the message, that in itself is an accomplishment.

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Hell yeah I'll take the playoffs!

No, Geno getting yet one more chance to prove himself is not worth sitting home in January.

Not too long ago the Giants and the Packers turned wild card appearances into SB victory.

20. nyjunc

improvement from a 10 year vet w/o more wins means absolutely nothing. You can have your fantasy improvement. Some day you will understand this.