Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Lynch is a weapon, D's have to respect him. his presence alone helps a QB.

Evans twice topped 1,000 yds including a 1200+ season in 2006. His low in yardage pre Fitz was 743, his high w/ Fitz was 612

Are you saying Spiller isn't a weapon? I guess his 5 YPC would say otherwise.

wins are a team stat but if a QB cannot help a team win they are not useful. He had plenty of talent to win in Buffalo and last year in Hou(where team was 6-6 w/ him starting, 3-1 w/ other QBs) and has not gotten the job done.

2. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

I do believe that there should be a competition. As a Jets fan and someone who has watched Fitzmagic closely throughout his career, I believe he is a good stop-gap/backup. The best case scenario is that Geno shows improvement enough to remain starter and Fitz helps him with his preparation and attitude. I really like Fitz, he's a class act and a decent NFL QB. However, Fitz has limitations when it comes to arm strength and the throws he is able to make. When you have the receivers that we now have (guys who can win deep ball battles/stretch the field), you do not want to dumb down their route trees because your QB cannot consistently throw them without stepping up in a clean pocket (which he probably won't have much of). Defensive coordinators can better gameplan for a weaker armed QB. I am excited for the upcoming season and while Geno has been very sub-par, I still believe that he was mishandled by Marty and that Rex's relaxed attitude towards the team (especially offense) were a detriment to a young QB with no experience in a pro style offense and questionable maturity. A change of coaching staff and a backup QB who has a great work ethic and maturity could unlock Geno's potential. Just my glass half full view. I know that's foreign to a lot of you.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I never said it was encouraging, just saying the Bills gave him an extension for a reason compared to a team like the Rams, who still need a QB to this day. Bulger was injury prone back w/ the Rams.

He's obviously a backup, but to say he didn't improve while he was with the Bills ... I have to disagree w/ that.

4. nyjunc

awesome! what a job to lead Buf to 6 wins! how could we not want this guy leading our franchise?

Improvement w/o wins means nothing to me. Geno improved statistically from year 1 to year 2. should I be happy about that?

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Ryan Fitzpatrick currently has a career completion % of 60.

He has a higher career TD% than Geno and Mark
    He has a lower career INT% than Geno and Mark.

Last season, he had 17TD's to only 8INT's (63% completion). Now, keep in mind that he had a 6 TD game which skews the numbers. But even taking his best and worst game away, he had 11TD's and 5INT's.

If the Jets get that kind of production, over the course of the entire year, they are a playoff team, with potential to win a game or 2 in the playoffs IMO.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. nyjunc

If only it was as easy as looking at stats. why did Houston go 6-6 w/ Fitz as starter and 3-1 w/o him? if he has those #s and is limiting big mistakes and making some big plays we can be a playoff team. He has never proven to be able to do that consistently.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Regarding the statemetn from Bowles...

FO homers here OF COURSE said it was not a big deal Bowles said what he did. But the Jets realized they had to say something because of what Gailey said and did not say.

So, instead of it being a CHANGE of position, it is a clarification.

Heh! If you want someone who is charge averse to accept a change, you say it's not really a change, just a clarification of existing practice.

If someone wants real change, you call the very same proposal a clarification, and they think it's not enough. But call the same thing a change, and now you're really addressing the situation.

So Bowles offered a "clarification" - okay.

Bottom line is I feel better that Bowles spoke to the subject, indicating he understood the need to do so, and brought it back to a more realistic understanding, one reflective of the reality that Smith is not a good Qb.

I still am bothered that Smith should be viewed as having some exalted status when he has not earned that. But at least they backed off from saying no competition.

#627 Big Blocker, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  8. 101GangGreen101

Who said Fitz was leading the franchise? There you go with those reading comprehension issues, reading what you choose to read.

To win games, you need more then just a QB - apparently you still don't realize that. At the end of the day, FITZPATRICK showed improvement with the Bills - not saying it's big improvement, but he improved.

My argument stands correct, as we are taking about Fitz and not the Buffalo Bills. Feel free to play that BS game w/ someone else.

Walt White likes this.
  9. jcass10

In 4 of those 6 losses, the defense gave up 30 points.

The most points the Texans gave up in the final four games was 17.

We're not going to blame Fitzpatrick for the defense giving up 30 points, right? In games where the Texans D gave up less than 25, the Texans were 6-2.

Walt White likes this.
  10. nyjunc

That is awesome that he showed improvement, so did Geno last year. W/o wins it means nothing(unless it is a young, developing player which Fitz clearly is not).

keep posting your nonsense to deflect but it doesn't change the fact that Fitz is nothing more than a quality backup.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he turns the ball over a lot himself. He's not the game manager type

12. 101GangGreen101

Glad to see we are in agreement. Thanks for seeing it my way.

13. 101GangGreen101

We should all know Fitz is a backup quality player, he's not a starter in this league, but I think he may give us a better chance to win then Geno Smith who showed minimal improvement from yr 1 to yr 2.

Geno better show improvement, or his job will be gone by the 3rd preseason game.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They never once said there was no competition....

and I think if you truly feel this entirely new regime, literally from below Woody on down at Florham Park, is viewing Geno Smith with exalted status as you put it, you are fucking nuts

Ralebird likes this.
  15. jcass10

He's no superstar, I want to make that clear. I dont want my defense of him to make people think I'm like this huge Ryan Fitzpatrick fan. I'd be shocked if he was the QB past next season.

But the way this Jets team is currently constructed, I think they can make the playoffs with a QB who has a 60% and 1.2 TD/INT ratio.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

so it's black or white?
    either the QB makes every play and the teams Wins, or the D blows it.

lol, that is very lazy and simplistic.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

you only needed the bolded part....
    he doesn't comprehend that at all, which is why his evaluation of QB's are generally off the mark.

18. nyjunc

there were only 4 losses where D allowed 30 or more pts:

Loss #1(w/ D allowing 30 or more pts): NYG 30 Hou 17
    Ryan Fitz throws 3 INTs
    1st one sets NYG fumbled back inside Hou 10 yd line
    2nd set NYG up at Hou 2 and they scored TD to give NYG 14-0 lead
    3rd set up NYG inside Hou 30 and resulted in FG

10 of Hou's 30 pts directly from Fitz INTs, led O to garbage time TD trailing 30-10 w/ 2 mins left.

Yep, all on the D.

Loss #2(30 or more): Indy 33 Hou 28
    2 TOs, only one from Fitz but none led to Indy pts. Poor job by D and they can be blamed BUT while final score looks close Hou trailed 24-0 and pulled w/in 33-28 after JJ Watt scored defensive TD. Hou D got stop, Hou then fumbles, Hou D gets another stop then Fitz fumbles and game is over.

Loss #3(30 or more): Pit 30 Hou 23
    O has 3 TOs(1 Fitz INT, 2 fumbles by others).
    TO #1 fumble inside Hou 10, Pitt scores TD
    TO #2 INT returned inside Hou 10, Pitt scores TD
    TO #3 fumble inside Hou 40, Pitt gets FG. 17 of 30 pts handed to them by O.

and of course Fitz leads O to garbage time TD to make game look closer.

Loss #4(30 or more): Phi 31 Hou 21
    Philly turns it over 4 times, Fitz cannot take advantage, Hou also scores a TD on D. 4 TOs, only leads O to 14 pts.

19. nyjunc

No one evaluates QBs better than me, you guys just look at fantasy #s. I watch games and see how they contribute to wins and losses- the only important stat.

Lazy and simplistic is looking at individual fantasy #s and evaluating based on those out of context #s. I am not impressed w/ how great Fitz is in garbage time to skew stats.

20. nyjunc

I know it is an honor for me to agree w/ you but once again improvement w/o wins means very little to me.